ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Installing the AUX Input the easy way - *OP* DavidH

Installing the Z4 Aux Input the easy way

BMW makes an auxiliary input connector that attaches to the back of the Radio/CD head unit and provides a mini phono plug input in a revised ashtray unit (BMW #82 110 142 174). I purchased mine from Bavarian Autosport (http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp Note: the image on their web-site doesn’t show the replacement ashtray but it does indeed come as part of the unit) and installed it myself using previous instructions. I had two difficulties during the installation. 1) Removing the air vents above the head unit to gain access to the head unit required special tools (I ended up using a pair of angled dentist picks I acquired from my nephew). This step took me more than an hour of frustration before I finally got both clips released. 2) The instructions did not indicate how to thread the cable into the ashtray area. In finding the solution to problem 2 I found that problem 1 was circumvented entirely and the complete installation can be done in about 20 minutes with just a Phillips head and a straight head screwdriver!

The key to the easy installation is the plastic access panel (shown above/left) under the dash between the climate controls and the ashtray/top/DCS/heated seats console unit. This access panel can be pried off using a straight screwdriver along the front edge. Removing this panel provides access to both the back of the head unit and the area in front of the console unit where the cable must be threaded. After removing the access panel you then pull out the old ashtray, remove the Phillips head screw underneath it that is holding the console unit down, and then remove the console unit by pulling straight up on the nearest edge (there is a pair of upward turned plastic hooks on the back of the unit that act as a hinge until the nearest edge is pulled completely out of the cavity). Put the console unit off to the side as shown above right.

Now the only hard part (it’s done by feel). You can now reach through the access panel and find the back left corner of the head unit where the wiring harness connects (identified by the wires coming out of it). There is a plastic frame/lever that holds these connectors in place (see picture above of wiring harness after removal). You release the lever by pushing away on the extreme lower left corner. It will then swing back and the wiring harness unit can then be pulled off of the head unit and brought out through the access panel opening.

Plug in the plastic connector on the end of the Aux Input cable into the open slot on the back of the unit (see image above). Replace the wiring harness on the back of the head unit (hold the release lever open until the harness is plugged in then re-close the lever to lock the harness in place).

Disassemble the other end of the Aux Input cable. Thread it under the wall at the far end of the console unit cavity. Swing the console unit back around over the cavity and thread the cable up through the gap on the left hand side as shown above left. Hook the far end of the console unit into place and push down on the near edge. Once the console unit is almost completely in place you need to swing the cable around to the right hand side of the ashtray area (if you had placed it there before, you would have ruined the cable when you pushed down on the near edge). You can now thread the cable through the hole in the bottom of the new ashtray and attach the cable end to the metal plate as shown above right. Attach the metal plate to the new ashtray with the two screws provided. Once you are sure that the cable is short enough to fit in place (you can pull on it through the access panel opening), push down on the near corners of the console unit until it snaps into place and then screw down the new ashtray. Replace the access panel and the installation is complete.

I run the output from a 40Gb Zen Nomad through my Aux Input (the unit was half the price of the similar iPod). Unfortunately, the new ashtray unit is too small to hold it so I put it in the mesh pocket on the passenger side of the central console. By my calculations the 40Gb iPod won’t fit in the ashtray either. The iPod minis will, and the smaller capacity iPods might.
      06-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #2
angelsz4
silver bullet
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 silver bullet

i want this now, thats cool, thanks for the how to
      06-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Hey this looks familiar! Thanks for reposting!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Nice recovery 6sp
- an update to this is to buy an '07 underpanel that come c/w the aux in.
Then you don't need to mod the ashtray.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
tsoc88
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328ic, 2004 Z4 3.0i

iPod Adapter
Thanks for the post. I am about to follow your detailed instructions. One question - when I take the nut off of the end of the aux cable and try to pull the cable out of the new tray, it is extremely tight to pull. Did you experience this. I don't want to pull it so hard that I destroy the cable.

Thanks for your help.

David
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
Gel
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

Nice job.

Important question this though, how do you select it on the radio?

Is it under the CD changer or do you get a new AUX option on the radio that wasn't there before?

On my Z4 I have radio, changer and cd as my 3 inputs available...does another one appear???

If it does then top stuff!

Edit: I just realised it was a repost...bugger, but someone might know.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Based on previous postings, a new "AUX" option does appear once you've installed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Gel
Private
Rep

Oh get in, that would so sort out my ipod issue.

I have the HK drive and play which is fab but would love it wired in properly.

That way I'd have full control on the ipod, great sound quality and keep my changer for £80 ($160 USD)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure how great the sound quality is with the aux though. Perhaps those who have it can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Just ordered mine...thanks sixspeed
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
I'm not sure how great the sound quality is with the aux though. Perhaps those who have it can chime in.
It's all right. It mostly depends on the quality of your audio files, and I tend to create mp3s at the highest quality setting since I've got a relatively small music collection. You do have to control the volume through the player, rather than the stereo, unless your device has line-out; actually, you have to control everything through the player, which is the biggest downside.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue Z4M

I can control the volume on the steering wheel with my Zen Nomad. (Doh, reread above post, mine has line out!)
The Aux input shows up after being connected to the head unit. I had mine installed by the dealer as a "freebie" when I bought the car, but the SA did mention something about the //M's having to be programmed for the Aux to work correctly (not the standard Z4's). I suspect this to be b.s. since I can't think of any reason for them to be different. It appears to be the same setup that I had in my MINI which was completely plug 'n go, so if anyone is interested, it is a simple procedure.
BTW, the ashtray assembly I received had a small hole in the bottom which renders it useless for smoker's unless you fill the hole with epoxy or some other agent.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
Gel
Private
Rep

I will be using the line out on my hk drive and play

When it gets here......
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #14
Majick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/L 135i

Yeah, much better than the $400 iPod adapter from the BMW factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
Gel
Private
Rep

Yep, full control of the ipod, I've put the stalk where the traction control would fit and the display to the right of my instrument cluster and the brain in the removable panel that is below the radio, plenty of space in there. The ipod is in the glovebox...not a cable in sight and looks OEM

So thats £50 (£100) for the Drive and play and £30 ($60) for the aux input.

Bargain compared to the £140 ($280) playlist only cable from BMW and that's before the fitting!

Plus I keep the CD changer too!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #16
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just got mine today, will install this weekend. A couple of points to remarks made by others on this thread. The hole in the bottom of the "ash tray" is for a screw. This is not an ashtray according to the product description, it is a coin tray. Secondly, the instructions state " no vehicle coding is required for this retrofit" to answer the question about recoding the M. Will let you know how it works!

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Gel
Private
Rep

I've notice this can fit into two points at the back of the stereo..could you have two of these installed for two aux inputs I wonder?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
I just got mine today, will install this weekend. A couple of points to remarks made by others on this thread. The hole in the bottom of the "ash tray" is for a screw. This is not an ashtray according to the product description, it is a coin tray. Secondly, the instructions state " no vehicle coding is required for this retrofit" to answer the question about recoding the M. Will let you know how it works!

Good Luck, sure it should go smoothly.

RE the "ashtray", I am a smoker, so I filled that hole and use the "coin holder" for its actual purpose

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #19
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel View Post
I've notice this can fit into two points at the back of the stereo..could you have two of these installed for two aux inputs I wonder?
IIRC, the additional point is for the hookup to the NAV system.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #20
Gel
Private
Rep

Got it and installed it.
Works fine and is very good.

I need to play around with my mp3's though.

For example I had an MP3 of Pendulums 'Slam' on my pc, decompressed it and put it on disc and compared it to the same one on my ipod and notice less bass kick on the ipod version yet the source mp3 was the same. I will put this down to the HK Drive and Plays abilities not the AUX cable.

It's good enough for me though and sounds almost perfect.

I'll be doing my utmost to use 320kbps MP3's in future but what a great way to use MP3's and keep the changer
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #21
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My hands must be much bigger than yours. I now have cuts and scratches all over them and I still can't get the connect back on the head unit! Damn...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #22
Gel
Private
Rep

Take the vents out mate, easy to do.

Get two old credit cards and a knife.

Go in through the vent with the knife and lever the tabs down and slide the old credit card down the back...be nice and forceful with the card and the tabs will release. Only two screws to remove to release the radio.

Appreciate 0