BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW 1 Series F20 questions

12-30-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
KentConcept
Rep
Drives: BMW Serie 1 F20

BMW 1 Series F20 questions

Hi all, this is my first post, nice to meet you. I'm an italian boy and i'm ready to enter in the fantastic world of BMW cars
My idea is to buy the new 1 Series, so i'm looking for the right optionals to requests.
However, i need some clarifications about many functionallity.
First of all:
I want video playback from my iPhone 4, so i'm looking for the correct configuration for this. I think i need the snap-in adapter and the BMW Radio professional and that's all, right? No need for BMW Apps or something else?
Because in my italian brochure, the video playback is correlated to BMW Apps!
But Bmw Apps require Professional Nav (2600 euro )
So the second question is this:
Why BMW Apps doesn't work also on the 6,5" control display?? And need the Nav to be installed?
And now the third question
Snap-in adapter can be easily replaced with another snap-in in the future? I ask this because i want to buy iPhone 5 and my fear is that this snap-in is incompatible.

Sorry if i made some mistakes on my english
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentConcept View Post
v (2600 euro )

And now the third question
Snap-in adapter can be easily replaced with another snap-in in the future? I ask this because i want to buy iPhone 5 and my fear is that this snap-in is incompatible.
Hi there, the snap in adapter is easily replaced depending on the phone you have - (providing they bring one out for the iphone5) but you have to have the right kit for the phone under the snap in adapter over here it's 6NK or 6NL depending on which package you choose.

The kit option may also resolve the video play back you aim to achieve, but not sure about this....

I didn't want Nav on mine so just opted for the 6NK package - only had this clarified in the last day or so.

But if my understanding is correct (may not be) you will need the Prof NAV option as it may come with a better display or has the firmware for what you are trying to do + you will need to pay a little extra (it's £70 here) in order to be able to use a snap in adapter, which naturally is extra dependent on the phone

Hopefully that has helped....... confusing I know, took me while to figure it out...sales assistant wasn't very helpful just on this point but knew who to ask as she ended up confusing herself as to what each option was - I probably didn't help!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
KentConcept
Rep
Drives: BMW Serie 1 F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada View Post
Hi there, the snap in adapter is easily replaced depending on the phone you have - (providing they bring one out for the iphone5) but you have to have the right kit for the phone under the snap in adapter over here it's 6NK or 6NL depending on which package you choose.

The kit option may also resolve the video play back you aim to achieve, but not sure about this....

I didn't want Nav on mine so just opted for the 6NK package - only had this clarified in the last day or so.

But if my understanding is correct (may not be) you will need the Prof NAV option as it may come with a better display or has the firmware for what you are trying to do + you will need to pay a little extra (it's £70 here) in order to be able to use a snap in adapter, which naturally is extra dependent on the phone

Hopefully that has helped....... confusing I know, took me while to figure it out...sales assistant wasn't very helpful just on this point but knew who to ask as she ended up confusing herself as to what each option was - I probably didn't help!
Hi me11ada, thanks for the reply
I found this while i "googling" searching for a response on my principal question:

Alright, some clarification since there seems to be a ton of confusion about this. Here's what you need to get video playback from your Apple device.

1. Vehicle made after March 2011 (3/11)
2. Snap-in adapter for your device (iPod / iPhone 3G/S, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S). This is REQUIRED.
3. NOT required to have BMW Apps or BMW Connected packages.
4. CANNOT play video through USB cable alone. It ONLY works through Snap-in adapter.
5. Video playback will work for iPods and iPhones only - as the Snap-in adapter can only fit those two devices. Nanos and iPads are not supported. There might also be a minimum iOS version which is required, but I'm not sure what it is.
6. When using Snap-in adapter, the audio / aux-in jack must NOT have anything plugged into it (not even an audio cable with nothing connected to it). If anything is plugged in, you will not receive audio from the iPhone in the Snap-in adapter.

Once you meet all those requirements, do the following:
a.) Place iPhone / iPod in snap-in adapter
b.) Go to CD / Multimedia > External Devices
c.) Select your device
d.) Under the video icon you should be able to see a list of your videos
e.) Select video and enjoy (video will automatically resize to fullscreen in about 5 seconds)

As of right now, no other combination of hardware should work for video playback.

Now, if this its correct, with 6NK 6NF and 4AE i'm ok. But i miss the control display! My doubt is:
BMW Radio Professional control display, is sufficient? Or Professional Navigation is needed?
The only difference in this terms can be an ipotetic video input in the last one. Dunno if on 6,5" Control Display this interface is present.
Appreciate 0