E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Assistance with Muffler Delete

12-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Assistance with Muffler Delete

To anyone who has done this. It would be great to get info and opinions/ feedback from people with an e90, preferably a 2006 330i.

I would like to purchase two 3 inch stainless tips (very OEM look) and have them welded in right after the resonator. The entire exhaust will remain stock.

Please tell me how loud it is, the tone of it etc. You Tube is not that good for getting to know what an exhaust sounds like. I would like the tone of the stock exhaust but louder, maybe some more rasp and pop and gurgle on downshifts.

Will this achieve those goals? Is it outrageous and obnoxious? Anyone with a 6Mt chime in?

Thanks guys. Maybe a video comparing OEM with the delete with same camera same conditions etc....hard to get a feel for it on you tube.

And yes I have searched and read a bunch of threads. Really would like opinions from someone with 6MT, and exactly my car.

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 12-26-2011 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
To anyone who has done this. It would be great to get info and opinions/ feedback from people with an e90, preferably a 2006 330i.

I would like to purchase two 3 inch stainless tips (very OEM look) and have them welded in right after the resonator. The entire exhaust will remain stock.

Please tell me how loud it is, the tone of it etc. You Tube is not that good for getting to know what an exhaust sounds like. I would like the tone of the stock exhaust but louder, maybe some more rasp and pop and gurgle on downshifts.

Will this achieve those goals? Is it outrageous and obnoxious? Anyone with a 6Mt chime in?

Thanks guys. Maybe a video comparing OEM with the delete with same camera same conditions etc....hard to get a feel for it on you tube.

And yes I have searched and read a bunch of threads. Really would like opinions from someone with 6MT, and exactly my car.
And i had my Res in place i deleted the muffler and 2ndary cats! and i loved it it sounded amaing. I have a auto and i would shift it in DS mode and it would pop between gears and have a mean downshift pop and backfire. It was the best $40 i spent on my 330i. But u will lose low end power but gain a bit on top and by a bit i mean like hardly noticble so dont expect alot lol
also i loved how it would go drone around 3k!
Hope this helps let me know if u have any more quesitons

i know its hard to tell but i thought it might help

To compare to mines the 2nd car.

no muffler delete

3rd gear

side compare

Last edited by DJ Apex; 12-26-2011 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks man. This is strictly to gain sound.

I know how N/A engines work. I in no way expect gains of any sort. Thanks for the video.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man. This is strictly to gain sound.

I know how N/A engines work. I in no way expect gains of any sort. Thanks for the video.
ok i added a few more vids.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks DJ.

Another thing I was considering was having the shop do the Y pipe from the resonator, and in the middle of one of the pipes toward the tips having them weld back in the flapper from the OEM muffler. This way it would be a muffler delete, but with the added benefit of being somewhat quiet when I want it to be. Basically delete the OEM muffler and undo my flapper mod.

Anyone know where to source a vacuum actuated valve, or even better the one off the OEM muffler? Id like to keep my OEM muffler intact to put back on in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks DJ.

Another thing I was considering was having the shop do the Y pipe from the resonator, and in the middle of one of the pipes toward the tips having them weld back in the flapper from the OEM muffler. This way it would be a muffler delete, but with the added benefit of being somewhat quiet when I want it to be. Basically delete the OEM muffler and undo my flapper mod.

Anyone know where to source a vacuum actuated valve, or even better the one off the OEM muffler? Id like to keep my OEM muffler intact to put back on in the future.
That sounds like fun! i should have kept my oem muffler! Damit! I bought two ele dumps to weld in after the header just for that reason lol
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
That sounds like fun! i should have kept my oem muffler! Damit! I bought two ele dumps to weld in after the header just for that reason lol
I think it would be perfect. It would allow it to be louder but somewhat restrained at idle, then unruly when on it, or whatever criteria needs to be met for the flap to open. I think Im going to do 3 inch Dimisa tips in the stock location and have them weld the flap in. at the very worst i do the flapper mod again to my muffler delete.

Keep me posted if anyone has the OEM flap for sale, or can source one. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

damn apex i sort of like that secondary cat and muffler delete even more now haha. you got any more vids besides those 2? sounds nice
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
damn apex i sort of like that secondary cat and muffler delete even more now haha. you got any more vids besides those 2? sounds nice
Check my channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/djapex
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
DJ's vids are from the thread in my sig below. All 4 cars channel sound very differently, so keep that in mind. It's not just what comes out of the tips, but what makes its way into the cabin, to the sides, etc.
      12-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
DJ's FIRST VIDEO is from the thread in my sig below. All 4 cars channel sound very differently, so keep that in mind. It's not just what comes out of the tips, but what makes its way into the cabin, to the sides, etc.
FIXED lol
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Pics and Vids

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109344
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
but remember the 330 is gonna sound diff then the 328 and 325 .
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
but remember the 330 is gonna sound diff then the 328 and 325 .
Yea It does seem to have a different tone than those cars.

How would you rate the volume of the delete compared to other cars/exhausts.

Louder than stock 335?
Louder than stock M3?
Compared to open headers?
Compared to a civic with fart can?

The videos give an idea of the tone and rasp and pop which I do like, but is it loud to the point of being obnoxious?

My previous vehicles were a cammed 98 prelude with headers, cat back and intake, and just recently an F350 Turbo Diesel Straight piped and dumped behind rear door.

I want this to be classy but raspy and louder than it is now, and pop and gurgle on shifts and engine braking.

Ordered some of the parts just now and going to the muff shop this weekend to get an idea of the work involved and costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

IMO the only way you're going to be able to tell how loud it is, is to hear it in person. I would post a thread in your regional section to see who has done it and if you could meet up with someone.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
IMO the only way you're going to be able to tell how loud it is, is to hear it in person. I would post a thread in your regional section to see who has done it and if you could meet up with someone.
Yea good call.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
gy2011
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

hey bro thanks for sharing video
it is cool
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Got the parts all ordered and spoke with the shop. I will be doing this in next week or two and will post pics and videos. My goal is to make one of the cleanest executions of the muffler delete. Pretty pumped.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got the parts all ordered and spoke with the shop. I will be doing this in next week or two and will post pics and videos. My goal is to make one of the cleanest executions of the muffler delete. Pretty pumped.
PROPS! I CANT WAIT!!!!!:happyan im:
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #20
o2centre
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
DJ's vids are from the thread in my sig below. All 4 cars channel sound very differently, so keep that in mind. It's not just what comes out of the tips, but what makes its way into the cabin, to the sides, etc.
Great comparison video man, thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Got it done. Will post photos later. Sounds gnarly.

Others have said in other threads that the engine will adapt over time and drone will decrease. While there is some drone and it is quite loud, its not horrific. Just curious if anyone who has done this has seen a decrease in drone over time. Some people say a week some say a few hundred miles.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it done. Will post photos later. Sounds gnarly.

Others have said in other threads that the engine will adapt over time and drone will decrease. While there is some drone and it is quite loud, its not horrific. Just curious if anyone who has done this has seen a decrease in drone over time. Some people say a week some say a few hundred miles.

Thanks.
Lol it may not be a decrease in drone but rather you getting used to the sound so it doesn't seem like drone . But for me I've had a muffler delete for awhile and it is very bearable for me.
Appreciate 0