E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 325i - Misfire, DME error, Mixture too rich & valvtronic error

12-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
mr_sarge
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2006

2006 325i - Misfire, DME error, Mixture too rich & valvtronic error

Hi guys,

Got some trouble yesterday with my 325 just as I was leaving for my Christmas evening

I started the car and let it idling as I was filling the trunk with food and gift. As I was taking out of the driveway, I had the feeling that I had no power. 2 stop later, engine was running strange. No power at all, smoke coming out of the engine bay and the engine had a lot of misfire.

I've pop-up the hood and I had oil coming from the front-left side of the engine. I've turn back to home and took my girlfriend's car.

This morning I've remove the engine plastic cover to find I had 3 valve cover bolt that where broke. the 3 first one on the left side. I have removed the valve cover completely and all the other bolt are fine. A new valve cover gasket and bolt set and the leak will be fixed.

That does not fix my misfire... I have INPA so I connected it and I have 10 error code in memory !!

Here is the list:

P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank1)
P0175 - System Too Rich (Bank2)
P0687 - ECM/PCM Power Relay Control Circuit High
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0313 - Misfire Detected With Low Fuel
P1017 - VVT-Sensors Plausibility (Bank1)

I think the eccentric shaft sensor failure can be ignored as this list of error was made with the valve cover removed and the sensor is disconnected.

I have attached a complete detailed list of INPA for more detail.
edit: Here's a link to a highres image: CheckEngine.png

Does someone has an Idea of what could cause all those misfire? What can I check/test ?

My Vanos solenoid where replaces by the dealer 4 month ago. I also have the Afe intake. Those are the only thing done to the car in the last year. Other than that, the car have no mod.

I will bring it to the dealer if I have no choice but I would really like to try something before

Tomorrow I will try to get the valve cover gasket and bolt to re-install it. I will try to restart the car and look for remaining error. I just don't wan't to install it and remove it later to check for something else in the cylinder head !!!

thank you !
Attached Images

Last edited by mr_sarge; 12-26-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

There is someone on this forum that had a similar problem. The eccentric shaft sensor broke and caused the actual eccentric shaft to break. Get this taken care of ASAP or it can be really expensive.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
mr_sarge
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Just to be sure, I re-plugged everything, cleared all the error code and started the car with the valve cover off (what a mess !). 4 new error come up. the car still misfire. The eccentric shaft error are gone. Here's the new error log.

CheckEngine2.png
Attached Images

12-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
mr_sarge
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I've installed my new gasket today and re-installed everything. I've cleared all error code again and started it.

No more misfire !! the engine run smooth.

So the misfire was cause by the leak... maybe some oil dropped on a sensor or shorted something.

It's running fine now and it only cost me 130$ (CND) for the gasket and bolts set.