E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Still under warranty... Get downpipes?

12-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
poloace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi coupe

Still under warranty... Get downpipes?

Have the Dinan s2

Ordered Cobb (will be installing
Over Dinan tomorrow hoping I can reflash Dinan and return Cobb if not
Satisfied)

Bms Dci to be installed Saturday..

I guess to get the most out
Of the Cobb... Downpipes are needed. Is that totally going to
F my warranty? My car will be 4 years old this coming Halloween. Ar that point... May get crazy w it. Advice!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Pros: more hp, more tq, better sound.

Cons: voided warranty possibly depending on the situation?

Being as a mod has to be proven to cause the error under question, (IIRC) I'd say yes. I have mine in my living room waiting for the shop here to free up. I've heard the install on the xi sucks pretty hard
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
DPs aren't going to F up your warranty. Install them now. Only worry about it (swap the stock ones back) if you've got some engine failure while you're within warranty period. My dealership/service centers don't care about DPs as long as it doesn't cause problems, which they don't. I asked first... Then haven't worried about it since. I just remove the tune before any visits, otherwise FBO.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

You're 10 mos away from being out of warranty. Does it really matter? Say it's October 31, 2012 and your car is officially out of warranty. You install downpipes and the next day the engine blows up. You're going to have to pay out of pocket to fix your car. So, what's the big deal about the potential of getting your last 10 mos of warranty voided now?

Besides, if you don't have any scheduled service coming up, you might not even visit the dealer over the next 10 mos anyway.

Deferring installation of downpipes b/c of warranty concerns on the highly unlikely event that you're car is going to suffer a major malfunction is only depriving you of enjoying downpipes over the next 10 months.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Not to be negative cause I actually think you should go for it but, BMW has been known to "loosley" relate problems to customer mods.....there was a recent post of someone have a coil burn/melt and his car had to be towed etc....dealer blamed on excessive heat due to DP's so.......guy needed new plugs, coils, couple injectors, valve cover.....I believe he was out around $1300....just food for thought....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Yes, but he was also PWM using the washer tank with 80/20. A little hard driving and the washer tanks are known for splashing fluid out the overflow. It builds up on the subpan. If the DPs get hot enough, and they do, the meth will flash up the side of the engine catching the foam under the plastic valve cover on fire. I know, I had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago. I was lucky and got the fire put out before it damaged anything. He also trucked his car to the dealer with FBO. If he would have taken the car home and put everything back to stock, I'm sure the dealership would have covered it under warranty, but that just my OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrig View Post
Not to be negative cause I actually think you should go for it but, BMW has been known to "loosley" relate problems to customer mods.....there was a recent post of someone have a coil burn/melt and his car had to be towed etc....dealer blamed on excessive heat due to DP's so.......guy needed new plugs, coils, couple injectors, valve cover.....I believe he was out around $1300....just food for thought....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
drew4392
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Personally, I wouldn't. Unless you know with absolute certainty that your dealer is cool with it.

The risk vs. reward is too great. The risk of blowing/damaging something and the chance that somebody at the dealer will say the DP were the cause (very known to point to mods).... vs. the extra ~20HP you get......... I dunno. I personally wouldn't. Wish you the best, if you do.
      12-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
max
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4392 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't. Unless you know with absolute certainty that your dealer is cool with it.
The risk vs. reward is too great. The risk of blowing/damaging something and the chance that somebody at the dealer will say the DP were the cause (very known to point to mods).... vs. the extra ~20HP you get......... I dunno. I personally wouldn't. Wish you the best, if you do.

I agree 100%. I have a year to go on warranty. If you put on aftermarket downpipes and run Cobb Stage 2 then you will stress the turbos more.
And if they go then you will need to tow it to your house/indy shop to have the stock downpipes put back on.
All BMW dealers will refuse to warranty turbos/related parts with aftermarket downpipes on it.
Your choice but I'll wait before changing my dp's out.
      12-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
. Only worry about it (swap the stock ones back) if you've got some engine failure while you're within warranty period. My dealership/service centers don't care about DPs as long as it doesn't cause problems, which they don't. I asked first... Then haven't worried about it since. I just remove the tune before any visits, otherwise FBO.
I highly doubt the OP is capable of installing DP's since he mentioned he is having his DCI's installed. If you have ramps, basic tools, time and patience then it's a pretty easy install and gets easier on subsequent installs. But that is the advice I would give.

OP - also consider your state's emission laws. Not sure about NY, but I would guess they are fairly strict. Since your car is 4 years old, most states will have you start doing a smog or sniffer check when registering. If you are not capable of installing/removing downpipes, they it could be costly for you to pay someone to do that every year.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

the OP has an XI so not as easy to swap back and forth when going in for warranty work
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
poloace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi coupe

Not only is it not easier:.. I don't have time for that! Just installed Cobb... Interesting feel to it so far compared to my Dinan. Will provide a write up
Shortly...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

downpipes just eliminate the catalytic converter, which increases flow. obviously a tune would be ideal in this situation to control all parameters being affected w/said increased exhaust flow.

eliminating catalytic converters is illegal in most states and you may not pass visual emissions inspection.

if you are unable to afford paying for a new motor, don't modify your car under warranty. if you do modify your car, understand things go wrong and you are liable for paying for warranty.

its like having sex w/out a condom. if you are man enough to do it, be man enough to accept having a child. if you aren't, wear a condom.

(for the slower/younger members, don't mod if you can't pay for a new motor)

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

If you are going to be running the higher mapping on the COBB then I wold definitely recommend the ar deign XI cat less pipes.

Mike
Appreciate 0