E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Making my own autocross course

05-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
MrFrizzle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Making my own autocross course

Hey guys!

So my friends and I were thinking about fooling around with our cars and making our own autocross course in our school parking lot, or somewhere like that.
I was just thinking about setting some cones around, and sort of creating a small circuit slalom type race course.

Has anyone done this before?
Anything I should take into consideration?

Thanks!
      05-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrizzle View Post
Hey guys!

So my friends and I were thinking about fooling around with our cars and making our own autocross course in our school parking lot, or somewhere like that.
I was just thinking about setting some cones around, and sort of creating a small circuit slalom type race course.

Has anyone done this before?
Anything I should take into consideration?

Thanks!
1.) Liability. What kind of "school" is this? What authorization/written permission do you have to use their property?

2.) Safety. Accidents can happen anywhere. By the nature of your question, I'm guess you're not qualified to instruct, so you're certainly not qualified to assemble an event involving high speed weapons.

3.) Design. Do you understand the differences between decreasing and increasing radius turns and the reasoning for their respective layouts? Do you understand how to create a flow which will work the principles of weight transfer (key within any autocross circuit)?

And that's just my short list.

Sounds like you want to have fun.. and I think you should. Just do it under proper supervision, guidance and instruction... and at a venue that has been properly prepared.

Have fun... don't be reckless.

-Daniel
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPtDrift View Post
1.) Liability. What kind of "school" is this? What authorization/written permission do you have to use their property?

2.) Safety. Accidents can happen anywhere. By the nature of your question, I'm guess you're not qualified to instruct, so you're certainly not qualified to assemble an event involving high speed weapons.

3.) Design. Do you understand the differences between decreasing and increasing radius turns and the reasoning for their respective layouts? Do you understand how to create a flow which will work the principles of weight transfer (key within any autocross circuit)?

And that's just my short list.

Sounds like you want to have fun.. and I think you should. Just do it under proper supervision, guidance and instruction... and at a venue that has been properly prepared.

Have fun... don't be reckless.

-Daniel
Very well said...
Don't you need some kind of insurance because im sure their is liability issues if something happens (even in a empty parking lot). As much as i wish you can just bring cones to a huge and completely empty parking lot, i think it requires a lot more then just "hey lets go make our own autocross". If it WAS that simple, im sure more people would do it.

I look forward to the responses here.
      05-19-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Very well said...
Don't you need some kind of insurance because im sure their is liability issues if something happens (even in a empty parking lot). As much as i wish you can just bring cones to a huge and completely empty parking lot, i think it requires a lot more then just "hey lets go make our own autocross". If it WAS that simple, im sure more people would do it.

I look forward to the responses here.
Yes, you absolutely need to have insurance. There is a tremendous amount of liability insurance associated with such an event. This is why clubs such as BMW CCA have MEMBERSHIP fees.. which PAY THE INSURANCE COMPANIES so we can have REAL events.

And I hasten to point out, what SHOULD make an autocross fun... is learning. Car control. Weight transfer. Inertia management. If you're new to the autocross world, start out with proper instruction and build GOOD habits, rather than reinforce bad ones. Learn proper seating position. Learn proper hand position and steering techniques. Learn how to look down the circuit and learn how to use one turn to set yourself up for the next one. Learn with an instructor. To do anything less is merely an exercise in burning gas and rubber with the potential for a not so good "end."

The concept of this thread concerns me. It goes right alongside the juvenile behavior of street racing and "kills" with other young drivers in ad-hoc drag competitions. More kids going fast who think they know how to drive... and simply do not.

-Daniel
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Go to an autocross school or event and learn from others. Don't try to cheap out and DIY.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

Yup, go to a BMW or other org. autocross event instead. Low cost and much less troubles. If you really want to get into it, you should just volunteer with the BMW club and help build the course at the next event. The course will feel like you did it yourself. I think you'll get the satifaction of building the course and running it too.