E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > X-mas tree vs. Megs 105 + Surbuf 6.5" pad

12-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

X-mas tree vs. Megs 105 + Surbuf 6.5" pad

Well, it was Saturday after Thanksgiving and the kids talked me into going by the X-mas tree lot to check out what they had. They found a tree they just had to have but I was hesitant. I was there in my car (E90 335) and didn’t want to throw it on the roof without a blanket or something to protect the roof. Yes, poor planning, but wasn’t really expecting to buy a tree that day. I finally caved and figured, well, it’s a bit over a mile to the house, how bad could it really be? I was going to drive slow.

Wow, I could not have been more wrong. That damn tree scratched the hell out of the roof of my car. I was beside myself. Again, my fault, and totally preventable, so that just made it worse. After a couple days my anger shifted to determination to correct the problem. I haven’t had the best luck with paint correction with scratches like the ones I had from the tree, so my spirits were low. I have read that Alpine white is pretty hard and therefore more difficult to correct. Who knows. At any rate I started going through posts here and also at Detailed Image. A lot of people were saying good stuff about Megs 105. I have used Menzerna products up to this point, but given the good reviews I figured I would give it a shot. Another common theme was using one of the Surbuf pads with 105. So I placed an order for both and waited for some free time and cooperative weather to give it a shot. That day came yesterday.

I cleaned the roof and then broke out the PC and put a new Surbuf pad on there. Added a fair amount of 105, cranked it up to 5.5, and crossed my fingers. Did 4 sections each about 4-5 min of time and then wiped it off. I was blown away by what I saw! The paint was almost perfect! I honestly was not expecting this level of correction. Filled with elation, I attacked some stubborn scratches on the hood and trunk lid. Same results there too. Only remaining imperfections are things that penetrate the clear coat and no level of polish is going to save that. I honestly don’t know which has a bigger effect, the 105 or the pad. Or if what I got was a magical combination of the two where the sum is greater than the total of the parts. Either way, I don’t care. I am so happy with the results and cant’ wait to do the same to a few other spots on the car.

So, long story short, if you have some stubborn surface scratches or make an ill-fated decision with a x-mas tree like I did, don’t fret. 105 and Surbuf will save the day. At least it did for me.

Oh and I did not expect that it was going to work so well, so I did not bother to take pictures ahead of time. Now I wish I had.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Do you have any pics of the tree tied on your car?

Would make a good cover of a Christmas card or on a calendar for December.

Glad you got all the tree bits off your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Yikes! No way i'd ever put that on my car without a blanket, glad to hear you got the scratches out though.
Appreciate 0