E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > pbx worth it?

12-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

pbx worth it?

Hey I was wondering if a pbx would be worth it even if I have a mtech package with the mtech ecu? Would it be able to add a bouncing 2 step or launch control?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Hey I was wondering if a pbx would be worth it even if I have a mtech package with the mtech ecu? Would it be able to add a bouncing 2 step or launch control?
Dont think pbx adds any of that. What is the "mtech" ecu?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Dont think pbx adds any of that. What is the "mtech" ecu?
It adds taller gears removes the speed limiter and it extends it to 160 or so. I believe also adds accel speed
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

I think factory Sport or M-Tech pkg ecu only has a 155mph top speed limiter, rest should be the same as regular 328i... also same final drive.
      12-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

there are absolutely no drivetrain differences between sport/mtech and regular. just the increased speed limiter.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

I see other vids of 328s on youtube and it shows them shifting redline at 35, mine stops at 40 and second goes to 70 and 3rd goes to 110 I believe, what would I have to get done for a 2 step/launch control?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
I see other vids of 328s on youtube and it shows them shifting redline at 35, mine stops at 40 and second goes to 70 and 3rd goes to 110 I believe, what would I have to get done for a 2 step/launch control?
thats weird... taller gear usually means slower acceleration... e46 330i w shorter performance differential shaved 0.5 second on 0-60. u the first owner of the car? maybe someone swap the differential or bigger tire.
      12-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
No idea what a bouncing 2 step is or why one would want one with a street car especuially a 328, but he PBX is absolutely worth it. I would say it is very cheap upgrade for the improved throttle response that it provides.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

What abt on 6mt? Is it still worth it?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Not familiar with the mtech ecu but you can't go wrong with the PBX. Just installed mines the other day and there's no regrets whatsoever.
      12-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

From what I have read and everyone that I have spoken with it appears to just be throttle remapping. I would pass and opt for a tune that can offer more then just throttle remapping.

Search this forum and Google for more information including dyno charts, I would not rely on the "butt dyno" as it tends to be skewed. Most people aren't going to drop a few hundred dollars and report back that they do not feel a change.

-Nate
      12-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post
From what I have read and everyone that I have spoken with it appears to just be throttle remapping. I would pass and opt for a tune that can offer more then just throttle remapping.

Search this forum and Google for more information including dyno charts, I would not rely on the "butt dyno" as it tends to be skewed. Most people aren't going to drop a few hundred dollars and report back that they do not feel a change.

-Nate
For those of us who do not race on a track, the butt dyno is a more important measure than a numbers dyno.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Pretty sure OP is trolling, but I have a PBX for sale. Hit me up.
      12-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

it's also been dyno'd (by me) and I've posted the dyno chart at least 4 different times. there are gains, mostly in the midrange, but don't expect big numbers. The real difference comes from the throttle mapping, which makes the car drive much better.

And just fyi, it's physically impossible for an ecu to change the gearing. It can raise shift points though. And there are gearing differences between the 6MT and the steptronic transmissions, so you may have seen another car with a different transmission.

If you want a 2 step, you'll need some sort of electronic add-on. MSD makes them for mustangs and camaros, but not for BMW. I believe you would need an AEM EMS system that could be programmed by evosport to work with your BMW.

http://www.evosport.com/product/aem/
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
thats weird... taller gear usually means slower acceleration... e46 330i w shorter performance differential shaved 0.5 second on 0-60. u the first owner of the car? maybe someone swap the differential or bigger tire.
yes i'm the first own but i do have bigger tires and rims, but not too much from stock. i only have 18x8.5 fronts and 18x9.5 in the rear. the stock were 17x8 front and 17x8.5 rears. but the tires are much wider than stock though 265 r 245 f could that be it?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
No idea what a bouncing 2 step is or why one would want one with a street car especuially a 328, but he PBX is absolutely worth it. I would say it is very cheap upgrade for the improved throttle response that it provides.
to think about it, maybe you're right about the 2 step launch control on a NA stock motor. 2 step is to build up turbo boost right before you take off. but thank you, i will keep it in mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Munkey View Post
Not familiar with the mtech ecu but you can't go wrong with the PBX. Just installed mines the other day and there's no regrets whatsoever.
does it make a night and day difference like a JB system would?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #18
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post

-Nate
that is what i'm really iffy about. But i was also considering, if the pbx doesn't work, an Active Autowerke tuning ? any comments?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Pretty sure OP is trolling, but I have a PBX for sale. Hit me up.
TROLLING? how is this trolling if i'm asking an honest question? and i'm not sure about which tuning i want yet thus is the reason i posted this topic. Thanks but i'll keep you in mind if i decide to get a pbx
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzerd View Post
What abt on 6mt? Is it still worth it?
from what i've noticed, a 6mt is worth it from the start as far as racing goes. But i got a 6mt so i'd have at least an edge in taking off if from a roll or dig. 6mt makes a huge difference from what i've witnessed. it can mean the difference on getting someone by 2 ft. or loosing by 2 ft. tuned or not, 6mt is the best IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
it's also been dyno'd (by me) and I've posted the dyno chart at least 4 different times. there are gains, mostly in the midrange, but don't expect big numbers. The real difference comes from the throttle mapping, which makes the car drive much better.

And just fyi, it's physically impossible for an ecu to change the gearing. It can raise shift points though. And there are gearing differences between the 6MT and the steptronic transmissions, so you may have seen another car with a different transmission.

If you want a 2 step, you'll need some sort of electronic add-on. MSD makes them for mustangs and camaros, but not for BMW. I believe you would need an AEM EMS system that could be programmed by evosport to work with your BMW.

http://www.evosport.com/product/aem/
THANK YOUUUU! that's what i've been searching for but i don't wanna have to make a completely new map and flash my ecu completely just for something that little. But if it's possible, i'd love to for my future uses Maybe it's just because i have a 6mt and maybe the video of the guys are step but some on there shift at 35 all the time which is around 6500 rpm for me. a few days ago i tested my car against a bone stock 335i coupe and being as i was stick, i pulled off on him and got the better accel but he got me on the higher end over 80 mph. And omg! the AEM ecu is like a walmart! it has everything i wanted!!!!!

Last edited by kiwi29; 12-12-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Personally about to get the AA tune. Have never tried the PBX but for me a reflash seems way better. I don't like the idea of a piggy back system. personal preference.
Appreciate 0