E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Level senor

12-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
bv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe AT

Oil Level senor

Has anyone had a oil level sensor failure?

Here is the situation

My oil level has been consistent at full since the last oil change approx 4000km until about 2 weeks ago when I installed downpipes and and a meth kit.

After the dp and meth install I have been driving the car a bit harder to ensure everything is functioning correctly about 10 to 15 WOT runs.

I was surprised to see that my oil level has down to 3/4 from full in the last two weeks about 800km and just yesterday to 1/2. No oil smoke, smell or visible leaks under the hood in the common areas near the oil filter housing.

I go to check the oil level today and I'm back to full with out adding a drop of oil to the car.

Has anyone experienced this?

I don't trust this sensor anymore.
      12-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

It's most likely failed, since mine did the same. I replaced it a while back, but just like the brake sensors, you can't just replace it. The condition based system of your vehicle has to be reprogrammed for it to work, so it's not a plug and play thing. Mine is waiting till next year, when I will replace my brakes, so I can get both things reprogrammed in.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

It's good to hear that it's likely just the sensor especially with all the discussion about oil consumption these days.
      12-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

The sensor is bullshit, it doesn't work. It NEVER works. It will tell you whatever it wants to.

It won't be accurate without taking the average level of three drives. If you park on an incline it will tell you that you are off by as much as a quart and stay that way until three drives later. It wont give you an accurate reading unless the car is warmed up to temp, on a level surface, not moving for a while, running, at least three consecutive times. Don't pay attention to it unless the low oil warning light comes on.

You installed DPs... car was on an incline for a bit if you did it on ramps, hence the low indicated level.
We need a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The sensor is bullshit, it doesn't work. It NEVER works. It will tell you whatever it wants to.
I have to somewhat agree with you. I had low oil light, put in ONE quart, warmed up the car, checked the oil level, and it showed as 3/4 full for the next 4 months. Logically, that's not accurate, but could be true. Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I think mine did the same. I am replacing it this weekend. Best price I could find is from ECS Tuning.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
I hate it,

Last edited by KyLu II; 12-09-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

Full last night back to 3/4 today

Both measurements on level ground.
      12-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv1 View Post

Maybe its barely at the point where it indicates full or 3/4? Therefor it goes either or depending on incline and how hot/cold the car is? If you have the BT tool, you should be able to reprogram it. IT worked for me with my brakes....

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just try not to add any oil (until oil change) unless a warning light comes on because you may accidentally overfill your crankcase. Any oil pooling under the car? Even with the belly pans it'll make a nice little puddle. It doesn't make sense that the oil would burn that much that quickly without red flags everywhere and of course it can't if the car isn't running.

Unfortunately without a dipstick there's no way to know exactly how much is in there short of a drain-n-measure. I hate that fucking sensor.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Wow. Lots of vitriol over the loss of a dipstick. Oh the times, they are a changin'. Imagine 30 years ago how many people spewed venom when electronic controlled fuel injection was becoming increasingly popular. Reminds me of all those Roundel letters to the editor whining about every new electrical gadget and improvement from people who think the last great car BMW ever made was the 2002. Get with the times, people! Sure, a dipstick is necessary for road racing where you need to ensure you have the exact amount of oil in the crankcase to prevent starvation. But for nearly all other cars/drivers, a simple "low oil" warning from an electronic oil level sensor is all you need. You can be 2-3 quarts low on a daily drive and never starve out of oil, so 1 qt low is a perfect warning. Your engine shouldn't leak or consume excessive amounts of oil anyway.

And besides, high end racecars use electronic oil level sensors to monitor oil consumption in endurance racing. Soon, our sensors will have the same resolution and speed as those. Until then, if you're really concerned, just check your oil level via the i-Drive/BC stalk when you get gas. Engine warmed up, parked on a level surface, at idle. Simple, no oily towels thrown in the trash, no dirty hands.
      12-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
bv1
Private First Class
Rep

I think the level sensor may only returns discreet values i.e. 1/4,1/2,3/4,etc and the true measurement is on the cusp an it's wavering back and forth.

I'll wait for an oil change and measure it out for curiosity sake.

Yeah, no leaks at all everything looks good.

I was just a little nervous due to the fact that I've recently increased boost levels and was a bit worried how the turbos are spooling now and any negative impacts on seals etc. but i think it was a false alarm. 1/4 to 1/2 qt in 4000 km's is ok to me.

The sensor is expensive to replace.... I'd rather have a $5 dipstick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Just try not to add any oil (until oil change) unless a warning light comes on because you may accidentally overfill your crankcase. Any oil pooling under the car? Even with the belly pans it'll make a nice little puddle. It doesn't make sense that the oil would burn that much that quickly without red flags everywhere and of course it can't if the car isn't running.

Unfortunately without a dipstick there's no way to know exactly how much is in there short of a drain-n-measure. I hate that fucking sensor.
      12-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd rather have a $5 dipstick.
Believe me, we all would. A good example of why BMW shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

Good luck getting this all figured out for real!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
My sensor took a shit on me about a month or two ago. Naturally i just changed my oil a week before the sensor crapped out on me. So Im gonna wait til the next oil change to swap it out.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0