E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335xi UR DPs in, Okada Coils, dyno trip soon

12-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
335xi UR DPs in, Okada Coils, dyno trip soon

A few thoughts:

First
So I got my DPs in the mail earlier this week. Stoked to get them on the car. I don't have anything to compare them to in person but they seem to be of good quality Two questions about them:

1) Here in phoenix it warms up like hell, and I'm wondering whether or not it would be worth it or necessary to thermal coat them before putting them on. Realistically, I'll only have this car (it probably will not last without having to replace everything) another two years, and I have no problem taking it easier when it's 100+ degrees a majority of the year.

2) IIRC, it is a more difficult/lengthy install on an xi, and I have two options. First, a shop that has never done an aftermarket DP install is willing to do it for $300 regardless of how long it takes. Seems like a good price since it looks to be around a 5-6 hour process, but with all of the issues I read on this and the other forum about codes thrown and other head aches after improper install (IIRC again) it almost seems worth it to pay a shop with experience, even with their holier than thou price/hr for labor... intelligent thoughts?

Second
Dyno- I'll do this in January/February after the DPs are on and some more maintenance is taken care of. What are my chances of hitting 400+ awhp with the following set up:
- JB4 15ohm
- Mr5 intake
- CL DPs
- Meth, cm10 in the meth elbow and one cm3 in each intake (pre filter)

If 400 awhp is possible what should the boost be set at?

Third
Like some others, I'm feeling a stumbling when the car is warm and in idle. Car is at 65000 miles even, I am the original owner. It has been maintained well but driven hard. From what I've read (IIRC), lots say its either the fuel pump, injectors, coils or spark plugs, right? My plugs are about 1 month / 1000 miles old, and I had my pump and injectors replaced about 1 year / ~<15000 miles ago. So I guess that it could be the coils that need to be replaced? How long are the stock coils good, under what conditions would they need to be replaced, etc. Would the Okada plasma injection coils be worth the $1200 they cost?

Here's a picture of the DPs from the crap iPhone4 camera lense that is scuffed and blurry...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

For an aggressive setup you can use a meth additive of 50, set your boost limit up to say 19psi just to keep it out of the way, and raise the meth additive as needed based on monitoring timing advance, etc.

Mike
Appreciate 0