E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > new guy but not born yesterday :)

12-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
chad1200
Registered
Rep
Drives: THE 335i

new guy but not born yesterday :)

ok.. i'm new to this forum but not new to how they work.
name's chad.
ok. i've had bmws before and i know how great, all be it tempermental, they are.
background: first car that i had that was worth modding was a G35. learned a lot from that car.
the round up: 2008 335i E90 50k miles
the juicy bits i've learned:
1. G35's v6 was awesome! great for light to light fun but no juevos on the hwy. so reliable that i got spoiled.
2. UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY: AMAZING! freed up so much hp on the low end that i would place it in the top 3 of first mods to do. it's unfortunate that the 335i doesn't have that option. the major arguement was that it was only a gain of 5ish hp because of the lighter weight. COULDN'T be more wrong! the major difference was clear and impressive because it freed up so much more hp with no drawbacks. it wasn't the weight difference at all. it was the fact that it allowed the engine to turn the wheels more. ANY crank pulley's circumference will be higher than what is needed. i suffered no loss loss in AC, power steering, or battery charge. i''ve done my research and witnessed the difference. it was worth every penny!!!!! AC, power steering, and alternator worked perfectly without fail.
2. the CAI debate. i tested this multiple times. the overall amount of airflow WAY out-wieghs the temperature. i know this because the G35's intake was reistricted as soon as you closed the hood. i removed the stock "CAI" and let the engine breath more hot air and it performed much better. in the vain attempt to maintain "colder" air it actually restricted the amount of O2 the engine got. that's why i will be swapping the expensive ($400) AFE CAI for the $99 DCI BMS intake.
3. catlessdown pipes: you don't need the popular $800 pipes. i bought a set of $200 downpipes that are incredible. here's the kicker! i had an exhaust guy install them. not a performance shop. it cost $400 to install them because BMW crammed them up in the engine. it took him 5 hours. they might not have fit perfectly but he was good enough at his job to cut the pipes and make them work. the performance shop wanted $800 to install them and that was if everything fit like legos. everyone says they're awesome and they are. just don't be a sucker.
4. muffler deletes: did it. gf thinks it soundslike a civic. dudes think it's awesome. it's loud. don't do it unless you want to be noticed. no real speed gain, just mental (which worked for me). PLUS, there's a vaccum controlled valve on the left side of the exhaust that stays shut until WOT to keep the low end torque. don't let them take take that out!
5. carbon fiber hood (or any carbon fiber piece): do it for the looks, not the weight loss. and DON'T do it unless you have a pro body man helping you. it's never EVER going to fit like an OEM part. my brother installed mine. he's been in the body business for 25 years. he told me not to do it myself. he was right! holes were drilled, fenders were moved, bolts were stripped, and a bunch of other stuff happened that i can't explain. it's not not like replacing a light bulb.
6. ECU flash: i got a COBB. i know JB4 is the big dog for the 335 but the COBB can be uninstalled easily. it saved me A TON of stress when the car had to go in for warranty work. i didn't have to worry about them finding my fun bag. the maps are easily upgradeable, too. plus, it read/clears codes.
7. change your plugs every 30k miles or so: if you plan on modding your car at all make sure your plugs are fresh. my car stuttered under WOT. plugged the COBB in and it said i had a misfire in cylinder 3. replaced all the plugs and she's purring like a kitten. COBB reccomended it and they were right.
8. stock run flat tires: get rid of them (buy good tires and save the run flats.) that is all.

any questions?
see you at the red light!
Appreciate 0