E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tune help.. Already have dinan

12-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
poloace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi coupe

Tune help.. Already have dinan

Oh man... Before you start flaming... I\'ve read, I\'ve searched, I\'ve pondered... And, now I ask.

Currently own an 09 335 xi MT with dinan stage II.... Feel like I\'m missing out a little on some potential power. An considering intakes (currently living in syracuse, NY- so, dinan CAI is pointless in the winter and would suck in water from what I understand).

Also have bmw performance exhaust

Contemplating bms dci... Possibly downpipes (though, I gather this would rip my warranty)

Most importantly... Was considering going the route of Cobb vs jb4. I like the idea of the cobb plug and play right into the port... Could I superimpose it onto my dinan? Would it F my car up? Haha. Thank you guys so much. Hope everyone enjoyed some turkey... Looking forward to the snow for some more avid winter photography in the 335.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

You are missing out on power with the Dinan II. If super easy install in your main focus, get the Cobb. DCI's are a no brainer at higher boost (especially at their price point). And downpipes are the shit (but are are an effort to install/uninstall). I personally wouldn't uninstall dp's unless my car had a serious issue. I'd leave it in for small service items.

If you're worried about uninstalling a piggie for service, keep in mind that the effort to uninstall a piggie is about 10 minutes additional to uninstalling a DCI. Both can be uninstalled in about 30 minutes. All owners seem to be pleased with the tune they own, but you're doing you should consider the Procede.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloace View Post
Oh man... Before you start flaming... I\'ve read, I\'ve searched, I\'ve pondered... And, now I ask.

Currently own an 09 335 xi MT with dinan stage II.... Feel like I\'m missing out a little on some potential power. An considering intakes (currently living in syracuse, NY- so, dinan CAI is pointless in the winter and would suck in water from what I understand).

Contemplating bms dci... Possibly downpipes (though, I gather this would rip my warranty)

Most importantly... Was considering going the route of Cobb vs jb4. I like the idea of the cobb plug and play right into the port... Could I superimpose it onto my dinan? Would it F my car up? Haha. Thank you guys so much. Hope everyone enjoyed some turkey... Looking forward to the snow for some more avid winter photography in the 335.
I feel bad for guys who spend the big $ to have their car reflahsed (GIAC or Dinan) and end up not being happy and switching over to piggy or Cobb. The Cobb tune will overwrite the Dinan tune and the Dinan tune will be lost. It will not mess anything up.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:

The Dinan CAI will not suck in water. The Pressure will go to the primary CAI which is the stock and as it is "LESS" resistant.

The engineering of the Dinan CAI was based on the concept of physics.

Quote:

If you decide to go Cobb you will lose your Dinan. The Cobb AP will not be able to back up the Dinan map. So if you ever decied you wanted you Dinan back you would have to take it back to the place that flashed it for you and they "may" charge a 1 hr labor fee.

To avoid problems, restore the car back to stock tune before flashing to Cobb. I would recommend flashing it to stock ride around for couple of miles then flash it to Cobb.

The Dinan CAI would benifit you more with the Cobb if your planing to get DPs.

If you did decide to get the Dinan CAI with Dinan Stage 2 there will be significant gains, but more with Cobb as you have alternate maps.

It doesnt look like your interested in Dinan stage 3 so no need to go that direction with you as it is extremely expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dinan CAI (or Mr 5) will not suck up water. Fluids (air or water) will take the path of least resistance. So unless you are in 4 feet of water, you are fine. If you are in a 2 foot pool of water (not sure why you would be) then the top intake snorkel will feed the air to the engine as the bottom intake snorkle would be blocked by water.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007 View Post
Bro i wish someone had educated me about this about a year ago before i wasted my money on AFE DCI... i was all ready to do the dinan cai then i read somewhere about hydrolock and it scared the crap out of me..so i got the afe dci! Booooooo
Well use that $700 you saved to buy some downpipes
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
So wait are you saying you have the a Dinan CAI and you are thinking about switching to BMS DCI????

If so, that makes absolutely no sense, you already have the best intake why change it. And no it will not suck up any water. Just don't drive thru any small lakes and you will be fine.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
poloace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi coupe

No... No intake on it currently. Am debating cai vs bms dci.

Also, is getting the access port worth it over the performance on the Dinan stage ii?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No... No intake on it currently. Am debating cai vs bms dci.

Also, is getting the access port worth it over the performance on the Dinan stage ii?
I vote custom intake (Mr 5 style). Here's my DIY:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549965
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

If you don't want to mess with install then go with the COBB. If you don't mind buy the JB4 or PROcede. I have a PROcede and love it. Don't know much about the other tunes other than what I have read online. If you plan to run Meth, I would lean toward the PROcede esp. if this is your daily driver. Again, just my OP. DP's, I just bought a set of VR's for under $400... I actually spoke with my service advisor at the dealership and he told me not to worry about the warranty. They honestly don't care unless something happens to the car and you need to make a claim. He said if that were the case they would tell me to put the car back to stock just incase the regional rep wanted to inspect the car. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Having taken a look when installing my CAI, I can say with certainty that if you drove in a puddle deep enough to suck water into your intake, you would also do massive water damage to several other components. So the Dinan style CAI should be 100% safe
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
BMW335i10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i 6Mt M-Sport

Garage List
dont switch to cobb or a procede, u paid big money for the dinan, plus u wont get full potential from your dinan tune with out an intake... exhaust helps but the dci really pulls it all together, go with an injen duel cone intake.. best one out for the price and clean and easy install, u wont regret it...
      12-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
BMW335i10
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@poloace
the injen cai also wont suck up any water if u decide to drive through a puddle... and ull love the sound
      12-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw335i10 View Post
dont switch to cobb or a procede, u paid big money for the dinan, plus u wont get full potential from your dinan tune with out an intake... exhaust helps but the dci really pulls it all together, go with an injen duel cone intake.. best one out for the price and clean and easy install, u wont regret it...
Truth is, and intake will not make a noticeable difference in power at all. And if you were to get procede it would work with the Dinan flash, not sure if cobb will replace it completely or not, but you will make more power on either than you are now.

Quote:
@poloace
the injen cai also wont suck up any water if u decide to drive through a puddle... and ull love the sound
The injen intake is not a CAI, it is just a DCI so it sucks up hot air just like the AFE and BMS DCIs. If you want true CAIs then you have to go with UR, stett, dinan, or the custom Mr.5 intake.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Some good info here and some bad. I'm a PM away if you need any help figuring out your next step POLOACE.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
BMW335i10
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@bakeme521

"Truth is, and intake will not make a noticeable difference in power at all. And if you were to get procede it would work with the Dinan flash, not sure if cobb will replace it completely or not, but you will make more power on either than you are now."

your wrong, do u have a dinan tune? have u ran it with the stock air box? i can assure u that it wont run to full potential, u wont get higher output from a car that doesnt also have an increased input, my friend is a dinan tech at bmw and insists that u need all of the dinan upgrades to get the maximum potential from ur 335... as far as cobb or procede being
better im not sure, all 3 have about the same gains, dinan juss has more knowledge of the n54 motor and
runs a safer map for you engine... and as far as the injen intake ur right it is a dci, not a tru cold air like the dinan cf but is more like a
cold air then the bms intake or afe... the injen juss looks
much better... plus its made in the good old usa
      12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
your wrong, do u have a dinan tune? have u ran it with the stock air box? i can assure u that it wont run to full potential, u wont get higher output from a car that doesnt also have an increased input, my friend is a dinan tech at bmw and insists that u need all of the dinan upgrades to get the maximum potential from ur 335... as far as cobb or procede being
better im not sure, all 3 have about the same gains, dinan juss has more knowledge of the n54 motor and
runs a safer map for you engine... and as far as the injen intake ur right it is a dci, not a tru cold air like the dinan cf but is more like a
The Dinan intake does pull in colder air, but the reason you get any horsepower gain is because it flows more air than the restrictive stock intake. I still think it's a waste of money because it doesn't take care of the strange angles the air has to travel at through the intake. I wish Dinan had released a custom airbox...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
^I have to agree...which is why I didn't go with a Dinan intake. The AFE I'm using actuall seals against the underhood padding and the air is forced in from the stock inlets at the front of the car. I've installed a Dinan free-flow exhaust (purchased used from a forum member for about half price), an ETS intercooler, and am about to install an ER sport (single core) oil cooler, then upgrading to Dinan S3 (only have to pay the diff between S2 and S3). Should be just about as far as I'm going to go with this car.

Regarding Cobb - I talked to them not long ago and they want you to flash back to stock BMW software before installing their product. I've also heard from reliable sources that their tune still needs some polishing - it's not as smooth as Dinan and some of the others, but it's definitely a good one if you haven't already invested in Dinan.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

OP, I was in the same boat as you not long ago - had Dinan Stage 2 and was looking for more. I decided to go the JB4 route after doing quite a bit of reading on the forums (and you should too, by they way...a lot). Part of my decision was based on the fact that the JB4 could be installed and used w/o removal of the Dinan tune...i.e. my JB4 Map 0 is Dinan Stage 2.

That being said, I probably would not have added the JB4 or switched to any other tune for that matter if I was not willing to install the supporting mods required to use the more aggressive (higher psi) maps. Most of the available tunes at Stage/Map 1 (no downpipes req'd, etc), I believe, are all in the same whp ballpark as Dinan Stage 2.

So, bottom line in my opinion, if you are willing to at least install supporting mods required/recommended for Stage/Map 2 of either JB4/Procede/Cobb....then go for it. If not, the investment may not be worth the gains in your specific situation.

Oh, and opinions do differ around here, so get ready for someone to totally disagree with me. That, again, is why you should research and come to your own conclusions on what best suits your wants.

P.S. - I have the Dinan CAI. It does not provide significant gains...but it sure is purdy.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by san6279 View Post
OP, I was in the same boat as you not long ago - had Dinan Stage 2 and was looking for more. I decided to go the JB4 route after doing quite a bit of reading on the forums (and you should too, by they way...a lot). Part of my decision was based on the fact that the JB4 could be installed and used w/o removal of the Dinan tune...i.e. my JB4 Map 0 is Dinan Stage 2.

That being said, I probably would not have added the JB4 or switched to any other tune for that matter if I was not willing to install the supporting mods required to use the more aggressive (higher psi) maps. Most of the available tunes at Stage/Map 1 (no downpipes req'd, etc), I believe, are all in the same whp ballpark as Dinan Stage 2.

So, bottom line in my opinion, if you are willing to at least install supporting mods required/recommended for Stage/Map 2 of either JB4/Procede/Cobb....then go for it. If not, the investment may not be worth the gains in your specific situation.

Oh, and opinions do differ around here, so get ready for someone to totally disagree with me. That, again, is why you should research and come to your own conclusions on what best suits your wants.

P.S. - I have the Dinan CAI. It does not provide significant gains...but it sure is purdy.
I do believe he would find more power on Cobb or PROcede aggressive maps then Dinan stage 2. Jb4 isnt as aggressive in its map 1 then the other tunes. Otherwise I agree.

Dinan CAI is a good CAI but there needs to be an alternative without the price tag.

AFE looks nice but last I checked they use tiny filters. Perhaps they changed though.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #21
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
@bakeme521

"Truth is, and intake will not make a noticeable difference in power at all. And if you were to get procede it would work with the Dinan flash, not sure if cobb will replace it completely or not, but you will make more power on either than you are now."

They tell you you need all the Dinan components because they want to make money. The most gains will come from a true CAI, those MIGHT be noticeable. I never said that the engine wouldn't gain more power from having any sort of aftermarket intake such as a DCI, it probably will since it is tuned by dinan, but the gains will be minimal(10 hpish) since dinans tune is not as aggressive as cobb/PROcede/JB4. I said that there wouldn't be any NOTICEABLE gains, meaning that although the car may be making MAYBE 10 more horsepower you won't notice it, you will notice the sound though. Why don't you do a little more research and learn how to type before you make such accusations

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
BMW335i10
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
They tell you you need all the Dinan components because they want to make money. The most gains will come from a true CAI, those MIGHT be noticeable. I never said that the engine wouldn't gain more power from having any sort of aftermarket intake such as a DCI, it probably will since it is tuned by dinan, but the gains will be minimal(10 hpish) since dinans tune is not as aggressive as cobb/PROcede/JB4. I said that there wouldn't be any NOTICEABLE gains, meaning that although the car may be making MAYBE 10 more horsepower you won't notice it, you will notice the sound though. Why don't you do a little more research and learn how to type before you make such accusations
Bakeme don't b so hurt
Appreciate 0