E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How to test fuel pressure regulator? Weird sluggish behavior and severe "bucking"

11-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

How to test fuel pressure regulator? Weird sluggish behavior and severe "bucking"

I am beginning to wonder if I'm having a similar issue as vase did in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...l+smell&page=1

I installed the PWM kit over a month ago now, and I've been having some very odd behavior ever since. First let me say I don't believe the PWM kit is in any way responsible for what I'm seeing. In fact I'm wondering if some of the things I've been seeing are causing the PWM kit to not work properly.

A bit of history:
1. HPFP and a few injectors replaced at 13,800 miles or so. Had been running 6-14 maps and car felt great.

2. Bought and installed PWM kit. Did it incorrectly at first - forgot to attach a couple of wires that I thought were optional, so the car sprayed meth a few times after coming off WOT - definitely bad. Got that resolved and it started to spray when it was supposed to.

3. Used the wrong type of VP Methanol (M5 instead of M1) and the meth started spraying a bit incosistently as if the nozzle was "sticking". Replaced the nozzle, replaced the meth with M1 - seemed to get better, but I still had very weird "hiccups" between shifts. Also boost spikes between shifts which led me to believe I had a boost leak.

4. Fiddled with charge pipe, elbow, etc and thought I had everything tightened up. Went to the airport for a work trip, charge pipe and rubber elbow connection came apart so I drove probably 80 miles with a big hole there. Have since gotten everything sealed up better and believe I have any boost leaks fixed.

5. I believe I now have any boost leaks taken care of. However, now the car has felt "sluggish" ever since, and I've felt three pretty severe, "bucking" events under light load leaving a light or pulling over to another lane to lightly accelerate past a car. One time it was accompanied by a 10903 crankshaft position sensor gap failure. Clear code and car seems to run OK, but not great.

6. Now the car (23,500 miles) has started to have longer cranks again. I went to the mountains this weekend, and I got a 10720 and 10721 fuel mixture control 1 and 2 error codes. The car hasn't "bucked" in a while, but it still feels very sluggish. I have also been getting a slight fuel smell after shutting the car off maybe 30 minutes after the car has been shut off?

I have a set of spark plugs I will be putting in tonight, and I bought a new crankshaft position sensor which I'm not 100% sure is faulty just yet. My questions are:

Could spraying meth when not called for on a few pulls foul plugs, O2 sensor, or cause a problem with FPR or injectors? I've seen threads on the 10720 and 10721 codes saying to look at O2 sensor, and the thread I posted above seems eerily familiar with regards to the FPR issues he was having. The car idles clean and generally runs OK, but it feels a little "sick". What other things should I be looking for? I want to get this thing up and running correctly so I can use the PWM kit that I've had for well over a month now

Last edited by Tronner; 11-29-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I assume you're running Procede? Have you tried running down the list of resets to perform via the Command Center, mode 3?

Fuel pressure is regulated by the HPFP output control, not a typical regulator on a low pressure fuel injection system. You will probably have to perform the system resets, drive for a bit to have the ECU and Procede relearn a few things, then log. Only costs you time - cheaper than replacing parts and faster / more accurate than chasing guesses.
      11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
taylors335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.00]
you need injectors
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Tronner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I have done all the resets on Friday, and it has been running better, but I am still getting some longer cranks on startup - about 1 full second or so. Car still has a slightly sluggish feel to it. What would I log to determine whether I've got injector / fueling issues or not?
Appreciate 0