E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > **The Astra (a.k.a. Miss325) Thread **

05-14-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
**The Astra (a.k.a. Miss325) Thread **

Since I am going to be doing some modding, and drastic changes to my car, I thought I would share it with those of you who are interested

This is my car completely stock...

At first when I bought my car, I hated modified cars, especially euro cars, but being a member of a few forums and being introduced to a few car nuts has shed a new light on euro modifying, especially that of BMW.

As time past, the modded cars started to grow on me, thought they looked nice and what have you. Then something unexpected happened! I got the mod bug! It started with trawling forums and internet sites, looking at galleries of other people’s prides and joys, looking at parts and wheels… everything under the sun. then I started riding around in a few modded cars… nice

Needless to say, the bug was growing!

A few months back, I started looking more seriously at doing things with my own car, because I had had it for a while, and figured, what better time then now to start?

I had a look at ALOT of wheels, I liked some of the ROH wheels, and some of the Hamann ones as well, and then narrowed the choice down to 2 brands. Breyton and BBS. There were 2 Breytons that I liked; the"Magic Racing" ,
and the "Flame" and the BBS wheel; the CH. After a lot of time looking at pictures of them all on cars and talking to people and the retailers, I decided to go with the BBS rims for 2 reasons. The first, and most important was because I KNOW that this wheels is suited brilliantly to the e46 and looks a treat! And the second, because they were thousands of dollars less expensive then the Breytons.

Here are a couple of pics of my wheels just after i picked them up from the shop AMG Australia at Rushcutters bay...

Then after buying them, I ran around trying to find the best prices on the tyres I wanted (Continental ContiSport Contact III), but went through A LOT of dramas with this, which didn’t blow over for about a month after I had purchased them . Then had them fitted, which again, was a bit of a drama…

Here are a few pics of the wheels once they were fitted...

After having the wheels and tyres put on the car, I was thinking of a quad exhaust setup, but retaining the BMW muffler, but just running 4 pipes instead of 2. this didn’t eventuate to much, as I was concerned about what will happen when I go to sell the car. I wouldn’t want to loose a sale because a prospective buyer thought a “young hoon” had been “racing around” in the car.

I was considering going with a carbon fiber theme on the car, and having carbon fiber Clubsport splitter on the front, and a carbon fiber rear mtech diffuser, but I scrapped this idea.

Not long ago also, i bought the Eibach Pro Swaybars because it has to improve my handling, and i got a good deal on them

I then started looking at tuner parts, body kits mostly. I loved the Rieger style but it wasn’t suited to what I wanted. I’m trying to go with a clean and classy style, and not cut any corners… do things right. Looked at Hamann, but again, it was a bit much for what I wanted. I HATED what Breyton had for my model but then stumbled across some AC Schnitzer stuff. Was looking at these for a little while, and decided that this was the tuner for me!

Started pricing the pieces I wanted, which were the “1 Piece spoiler”, the “Front splitters for mtech bumper” and the “Rear diffuser for mtech bumper”, and happened to find a very reasonable price being offered from the American site www.bavauto.com . So I ordered these around 3 weeks ago now

I also thought my car needed a bit of a drop. I was tossing up between getting some new springs and leaving the BMW shocks in, or getting a whole new set up. And in the end, I decided on some coilovers – the Bilstein PSS (which will give me an adjustable ride height!). These were also purchased from www.bavauto.com .

Here the mod bug starts to take over me again… I was thinking to myself, “what are those nice rims without a BBK”? So here we go again, now I am looking at brakes. I have decided on some Brembo brakes (the baby BBK).

So that is all for now, once my body kit and coilovers get here, it will be just the brakes to come, and then I am pretty much done, cos I feel the car doesn’t need any more then that going on. But a way down the road I might have a look at a nice muffler (a quiet one), and maybe a new air filter, and that’s about it!

There will be more pics to come soon, as things progress...

Stay tuned!

And if anyone has any questions about this, ask away

Last edited by astra; 05-14-2007 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 04:41 AM   #2
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
Nice one Astra!
      05-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Exclamation UPDATE

Thanks Lea

Forgot to add before that i have added the BMW Chrome exhaust tips, and a mini/micro antenna...

The antenna came wrong the first time... they sent a giant chrome one!!! so it got sent back, and a new one came. I purchased a small black one, and it was a glossy finish on the stem, so i sanded it back, primed it, and painted it a flat black

Last edited by astra; 05-14-2007 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Looking great, top choice of wheels and going for an ACSchnitzer kit, very good choice.
Yeah i'm the same with doing mod's to the BMW's i think my issue has always been some of the tasteless ones that people do with those ridiculous cheap'n'nasty riced-up kits and chromed wheels. We need more nicely modded bimmers with ACSchnitzer and Hartge kits on them.
Although i must say, if you did go for the quad exhaust i would have to give you an earful about bring a try-hard-wannabe-m3, sorry that's just one things that irk's me! (But that's just my opinion)
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
wasn't gonna do anything like the m3 exhaust

there is a guy in the US that makes mtech diffusers for a quad setup (looks nothing like an m)

but yes, decided against it... maybee a muffler later down the track

Last edited by astra; 05-14-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #6
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
wasn't gonna do anything like the m3 exhaust

there is a guy in the US that makes mtech diffusers for a quad setup (looks nothing like an m)

but yes, decided against it... maybee a muffler later down the track
You really are tearing up the place today!
They not keeping you busy enough at school?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Ohh i just remembered, gotta warn you on the splitters you've gotta be real careful on carpark ramps, speed humps, those little cement blocks in carparks and so on, just a few things i've learnt to be very concious about having the splitters on my car. I'd love to have the carbon fibre ones, but i'm just worried i'd wreck them in the first few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
i have a week off so i am at home trying to relax and doing some photoshops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Ohh i just remembered, gotta warn you on the splitters you've gotta be real careful on carpark ramps, speed humps, those little cement blocks in carparks and so on, just a few things i've learnt to be very concious about having the splitters on my car. I'd love to have the carbon fibre ones, but i'm just worried i'd wreck them in the first few weeks.
oh yep, i know had it happen to friends and have already got scrape marks on my bumper... i am very careful already now!
      05-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i have a week off so i am at home trying to relax and doing some photoshops

oh yep, i know had it happen to friends and have already got scrape marks on my bumper... i am very careful already now!
Yeah, i'm always dawdling down carpark ramps and slamming the breaks on at speed humps! Well worth it though.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

I must say I find it sensational that you not only drive one of the hottest BMWs on the country but are actually looking at further personalising its appearance. It is all too easy for us to conform to everyone’s expectations and live conservatively with our cars. Well done astra for taking the “mod” path. How do you know so much about wheels, suppliers, spoilers, splitters, etc? Your knowledge is outstanding. I am impressed.

The wheels look brilliant and the 19” size perfectly suits the car. Do you find potholes tend to “bite” a little now?

Please keep the photos coming. This should be an interesting thread.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #11
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
I must say I find it sensational that you not only drive one of the hottest BMWs on the country but are actually looking at further personalising its appearance. It is all too easy for us to conform to everyone’s expectations and live conservatively with our cars. Well done astra for taking the “mod” path. How do you know so much about wheels, suppliers, spoilers, splitters, etc? Your knowledge is outstanding. I am impressed.

The wheels look brilliant and the 19” size perfectly suits the car. Do you find potholes tend to “bite” a little now?

Please keep the photos coming. This should be an interesting thread.

Cheers.
aww thanks mate *blushes*

i just have a passion for these kind of things, so when i hear new info about it, i just soak it all in...

i remember how completely cluless i used to be about tyres before i started modding

nah they don't really "bite", or maybee i am just used to they way they ride?

do you have 19s? if so, what is the profile? cos i was wondering if they were similar to mine
      05-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #12
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
aww thanks mate *blushes*

i just have a passion for these kind of things, so when i hear new info about it, i just soak it all in...

i remember how completely cluless i used to be about tyres before i started modding

nah they don't really "bite", or maybee i am just used to they way they ride?

do you have 19s? if so, what is the profile? cos i was wondering if they were similar to mine

Yep, mine are 19" too. I will have to check the size/profile but I am sure MPower (Mr BMW Encyclopaedia) will most likely know.

Cheers.

Last edited by CaptOz; 05-14-2007 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: To keep thread "post whore" free.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
not sure of the width for e92, but would they be ???/35/19?
      05-14-2007, 07:07 AM   #14
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, mine are 19" too. I will have to check the size/profile but I am sure MPower (Mr BMW Encyclopaedia) will most likely know.

Cheers.

P.S. There's a BMW on COPS right now.
Lol, Captn yours are a staggered 225/35R19 at the front and 255/30R19 at the back.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #15
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
so similar to mine (235/35/29)... CaptOz, do your's "grab"?
      05-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #16
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Did i ever mention i saw a drop dead gorgeous chick parking her car outside the Hilton in the city with the rego MISSM3, very very hot combo! Anyone know her here?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #17
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
thread polution
      05-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #18
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thread polution
Spank me
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #19
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
not sure of the width for e92, but would they be ???/35/19?
I found it!

They are 225/35x19 (front) and 255/30x19 (rear).

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #20
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I found it!

They are 225/35x19 (front) and 255/30x19 (rear).

Cheers.
hahaha too late, i beat you to it mate
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #21
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Lol, Captn yours are a staggered 225/35R19 at the front and 255/30R19 at the back.
Cheers
I knew it.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #22
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
well??