E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Some Insight Would Be Appreciated

11-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
Chadwick4477
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Some Insight Would Be Appreciated

Hello everyone let me start off by introducing myself, My name is Chad, I recently decided to leave the 4 cylinder All Wheel Drive Turbocharged Rally Car Scene and decided to go with something that is alot more comfortable and daily driver friendly but still not lacking in the department of "fun and enjoyable" as a vehicle. My most recent vehicles were a 2004 Subaru WRX STi and a 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution MT Edition. While those cars were absolutely amazing to drive and definetly "head turners" they just weren't practical considering I have about an hour and a half commute to work everyday. The other major factors were traffic congestion, price of fuel due to very poor consumtion and the last fact of when I was younger I had shattered my heel and driving a car with a manual transmission over the past 8 years is now starting to pay the toll pain wise. When I was growing up my father always wanted a BMW 3 series IIRC it was the 325xi E46. And I have several co-workers that own BMW's as well and I have always been fond of the BMW line. I have come to you folks in search of some answers, as I am still largely unfamiliar with these cars. I've been searching for a sutiable replacement vehicle for sometime now and I have sucessfully narrowed it down to the BMW 3 Series. My question's which hopefully you can answer are this:

I'm primarily looking for a X drive BMW, I live in Western Pennsylvania and for those of you that live here as well or know it, the winters can be pretty harsh at times. But on the specifics I would like to know a few things from current/past owners.

I have narrowed the 3 series selection down to the 325xi preferably a 2006+

The winter packages seems like a must especially in the climate that im living in. What about things like iDrive? Yay or Nay? Is it worth finding a vehicle equipped with it? The Adaptive Headlamps? Are they worth the find as well? And lastly the Active Cruise Control does that come with a certain package as well? I am still very new to this I'm used to cars that have very very little options such as these and I would really appreciate some insight or for someone to point me in the right direction of helping me purchase a car I will not be saying "boy I really wish I would have found one with that feature."

Thank you everyone,

Chad
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
JBE90335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

they only made the 325xi in the newer bodystyle in 2006, then it became the 328xi. I think I-drive is worth it, the only "winter package" is the cold weather package which IMO the only useful thing it has is heated seats which can be ordered separately. You will not find a used car (especially a 325i) with active cruise, it was a 2k+ option that nobody ordered. Also definitely find one with active headlamps, and car with xenons ill have this feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Chadwick4477
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAC63 View Post
they only made the 325xi in the newer bodystyle in 2006, then it became the 328xi. I think I-drive is worth it, the only "winter package" is the cold weather package which IMO the only useful thing it has is heated seats which can be ordered separately. You will not find a used car (especially a 325i) with active cruise, it was a 2k+ option that nobody ordered. Also definitely find one with active headlamps, and car with xenons ill have this feature.
Thank you for the information still being new at this, its nice to figure out this information that way I cannot have a dealer telling me oh yeah yeah this car has that active cruise control thingy it like uses sensors to determine traffic and distance blah blah blah just trying to make a sale. And in the end the car doesn't have that feature at all. And as far as the I-drive the only reason I asked is I get mixed reviews on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
JBE90335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick4477 View Post
Thank you for the information still being new at this, its nice to figure out this information that way I cannot have a dealer telling me oh yeah yeah this car has that active cruise control thingy it like uses sensors to determine traffic and distance blah blah blah just trying to make a sale. And in the end the car doesn't have that feature at all. And as far as the I-drive the only reason I asked is I get mixed reviews on it.
all 3-series have "dynamic cruise" which is pretty cool because for instance if you have it on while going into a sharp turn the car will slow itself down automatically through the turn and then return to set speed after turn. "Active Cruise" is separate that actually slows the car down if another car cuts in front of you and what not. They're are out there but next to impossible to find. I personally think the i-drive is worth it but its not deal breaking. I would look for the Logic 7 sound system though if you care about audio as the base system isn't the best.
Appreciate 0