ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

American Drivers

Friggin SUCK! I almost got killed about 5 times this afternoon. The worst was when some friggin stupid soccer mom in a minivan ON HER F'ING CELL PHONE tried to merge across 2 lanes and hit me! Thank god for the divider lane so I could swerve out the way. OMG I HATE AMERICANS. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN IN GERMANY! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venting Complete
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

meh. it's not everywhere.... in CA especially though, as soon as i cross state lines to go to vegas instantly everyone turns into a phenomenally courteous driver. go figure.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Well they definately suck down here in South Cacalacky. I don't care if I spelled it wrong...if there is even an actually spelling. I could never live down here permanently.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue Z4M

I can relate, spent 3 years in Italy (Sicily to be specific), and can appreciate european driving on the major roads. They tend to avoid the left lane except to overtake and flash to pass (signal their intentions, for the US motorist)when coming upon a slower vehicle .

On the side streets and in town, I would rather have American drivers. Italian driving is a case of the bigger or more expensive vehicle wins, or if you look at them you give them the right of way

Overall, I appreciate my time spent abroad and learned alot from it,,, like to expect a**holes to cut in front of me, or move into my lane because of distractions.

Apparently you did not learn the way of the Europeans well, my young Zedi, fore you should expect the unexpected at every turn. You should know by now that the soccer mom and the uber elite Honda is out to destroy you

A rather amusing cartoon that explains alot about Italians:

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/flash/

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

you should try driving in Philippines or Taiwan. its like playing bump car with real cars.
      05-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Ski
Hockey freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmer's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Friggin SUCK! I almost got killed about 5 times this afternoon. The worst was when some friggin stupid soccer mom in a minivan ON HER F'ING CELL PHONE tried to merge across 2 lanes and hit me! Thank god for the divider lane so I could swerve out the way. OMG I HATE AMERICANS. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN IN GERMANY! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venting Complete
I cannot agree more..I get so aggravated w/stupid drivers everyday, it's ridiculous..

My Jet Black's
'03 3.0i Z4 Loaded
'02 325Ci Loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

I see too many people on the road with their mobile phones glued to their ear. Unless it's an absolute emergency, there should be no reason why anyone should be holding a mobile phone while driving. And if they're really such high profile VIPs who cannot put their crack phones down, then they should at least invest in a handsfree earpiece or something. I try to avoid driving behind/in front of distracted drivers. Last month I actually saw a driver putting on her full compliment of cosmetics!!! Foot-on-steering wheel technique!

I wish I could do this to them:
      05-13-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
jacksonjw81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post

Venting Complete
I just got back after spending 6 years in Germany, trust me I feel your pain... In fact one of my car magazines I subscribe to, just did a big article about how bad American drivers are...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #9
jacksonjw81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrkll View Post
I can relate, spent 3 years in Italy (Sicily to be specific), and can appreciate european driving on the major roads. They tend to avoid the left lane except to overtake and flash to pass (signal their intentions, for the US motorist)when coming upon a slower vehicle .

On the side streets and in town, I would rather have American drivers. Italian driving is a case of the bigger or more expensive vehicle wins, or if you look at them you give them the right of way

Overall, I appreciate my time spent abroad and learned alot from it,,, like to expect a**holes to cut in front of me, or move into my lane because of distractions.

The video was great by the way.

Apparently you did not learn the way of the Europeans well, my young Zedi, fore you should expect the unexpected at every turn. You should know by now that the soccer mom and the uber elite Honda is out to destroy you

Cheers!
The WORST driving I have ever seen was in Rome...this is including Kuwait, Iraq! The video was great too.

Last edited by jacksonjw81; 05-13-2007 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Using a cell phone will driving is generally illegal in europe. there's even places in where the police *confiscate* your phone if they see you use it while driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrkll View Post

Cheers!
I've driven in Italy and Germany. The only difference really is that the Italians are friggin nuts, and they have absolutely no regard for any speed limit. Didn't see a single wreck there tho.

And as for expecting the unexpected...I was slightly ahead of her as far as bumpers go, when she tried to side swipe me. I know my car is low, but I'm not F'ING INVISIBLE. Most people at least look to the direction they are turning. I guess not while on the cell phone...

40 EURO fine in Germany! I think we need implement some new laws...these people need to go to jail for a few days and get a few thou taken out of their pocket.

Last edited by Dammmittt; 05-13-2007 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: More venting
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

> The WORST driving I have ever seen was in Rome...

I've driven in Rome. They look like lunatics but they're not.

They'd be there in their cars, honking, gesturing wildly, but at the same time they give you time and space to get to where you're going. That's probably why you see so few dents, they're posturing.

Other places, people just drive you off the road. Belgium springs to mind - now those drivers *ARE* crazy suicidal maniacs.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Here's an article. Don't know if it'll curb the users, though...
      05-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
> The WORST driving I have ever seen was in Rome...

I've driven in Rome. They look like lunatics but they're not.

They'd be there in their cars, honking, gesturing wildly, but at the same time they give you time and space to get to where you're going. That's probably why you see so few dents, they're posturing.

Other places, people just drive you off the road. Belgium springs to mind - now those drivers *ARE* crazy suicidal maniacs.
I disagree...I never saw 3 wide on a 2 lane at over 100 mph in Belgium...I saw it multiple times on 1 road trip in Italy. Belgians for the most part obey the posted speed limits.

Anyway, Americans are the worst (excluding 3rd world)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 10:33 PM   #15
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

At about this stage someone would say "do not come to the US!!" or "why don't you move somewhere else?" if we were on Z4um

I miss Z4um.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #16
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Just don't come to my neighbourhood, man. Seriously... You have been warned.

now THAT's Z4um humour!
      05-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #17
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
At about this stage someone would say "do not come to the US!!" or "why don't you move somewhere else?" if we were on Z4um

I miss Z4um.
HAHA, the best country in the world...oh how I love it and hate it at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #18
Daveop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 BMWs

great topic. i always knew american drivers generally suck, but driving in philladelphia takes it to a whole new level. these people will swerve randomly into your lane, and i mean randomly! on top of that on a daily basis someone will decide to just stop his car in the middle of a 2 lane busy city street causing congestion for blocks! but its part of the culture of this city so noone honks or cares that 1 sellfish driver is causing trafic for 50 other people. by the time i get home from work im ready to punch someone hehe
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #19
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Worst State

I drive all throughout the US and Florida is by far the worst state for drivers.
      05-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #20
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

I hate drivers with no Common Sense---

Tapping on their brakes everytime they see someone about 10 cars away in front of them brake,
Cutting onto the faster lane just to go the same speed as the slower lanes,
Tiny little civic, mini, miata, etc. tailgating a fullsize SUV
and list goes on....

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #21
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I drive all throughout the US and Florida is by far the worst state for drivers.
I think not. You forget that most of the people living in Florida have moved from the north states. After living in Florida, Georgia, NYC and Virginia. I have to say northen drivers in general are far worse than those in the southern states. Those that are particularly bad are....

People from NJ... WTF is a jug handle intersection and why can't you pump your own damn gas.

People from PA... Yeah, it's REALLY smart to slam on your brakes just before you get onto an interstate highway. Is it soo much easier to get onto the interstate at a stand still when everyone is zooming by at +75mph???

People from NYC/Tri-State area... Lanes are there for a reason. Stay in them.

People in the DC area... I don't understand the logic of hard acceleration INTO traffic, then weaving in and out only to come to a stand still 2-3 cars ahead.

People in VA area... Just because you have 4WD doesn't mean you have more traction in the snow than I do.
      05-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #22
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

HAHAHAH this is great. Everyone just get pissed off!!! Let it out. You'll feel better.
Appreciate 0