E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Scoops!

11-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
SMILEYS 325I
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2006 325I

Scoops!

To be able to get scoops are u supposed to install an intake or how do those work?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
don't need to you can do it on a stock car too
      11-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
SMILEYS 325I
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2006 325I

[QUOTE=josh06lau;10804500]don't need to you can do it on a stock car too[/QUOTE

Oh koo thanks! So how what are they connected to or how do u install?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
M5stalker
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

scoop just add more air flow to your intake systems, It add more air flow when you are driving 70mph++, but if you want to add scoop for looks, just go for it.

to install, just remove your oem air scoop cover, then drop your new "scoop", its an easy install, took me around 15 min. Search for some DIY according to your type of scoop.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

If you want, I can install it for 10 bucks it'd only take around 10 minutes max
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Scoops are a waste. Don't even bother putting that crap on your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Scoops are a waste. Don't even bother putting that crap on your car.
Sorta true, not completely though. If you are going to just get it for normal driving yes. If you race with it or climb hills or on the freeway a lot then no. Scoops give more of a throttle response when paired with the k&n drop in filter. And you don't need to go 70++ mph to feel a difference, only over 30 mph. Your throttle response will be there if you are cruising or rolling already but if barely starting out the car will lag as usual. Cyba has cheap and good ones and its a lot cheaper than rpi or afe and has rain holes so watcer can get out instead of going into your filter
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Sorta true, not completely though. If you are going to just get it for normal driving yes. If you race with it or climb hills or on the freeway a lot then no. Scoops give more of a throttle response when paired with the k&n drop in filter. And you don't need to go 70++ mph to feel a difference, only over 30 mph. Your throttle response will be there if you are cruising or rolling already but if barely starting out the car will lag as usual. Cyba has cheap and good ones and its a lot cheaper than rpi or afe and has rain holes so watcer can get out instead of going into your filter
Show me one shred of evidence that they work and I will believe it. The only thing they do effectively is block your radiator from cooling as efficiently. I scrapped them as soon as started taking my car on the track.

The money is better spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Victorae
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 | 2014 Tesla Model S

Just for looks really.....any performance gains for normal driving is just going to be negligible. But nothing wrong with cosmetic mods right...?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorae View Post
Just for looks really.....any performance gains for normal driving is just going to be negligible. But nothing wrong with cosmetic mods right...?
+1 its not major as a new boost kit but still nice to have and I feel the difference in the mountains
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Show me one shred of evidence that they work and I will believe it. The only thing they do effectively is block your radiator from cooling as efficiently. I scrapped them as soon as started taking my car on the track.

Beg to differ on cooling the radiator, I haven't once had an heat problems after installing the scoops, id be more than glad to give you a quick ride if you are around long beach for the meet or something. They aren't magnificent but they do the job in throttle input when you are going up hill, as I said they won't be a great investment if you are driving normally, unless you are going for the look. As far as actually tracking I m not too sure about how great it'd be but like I said id give you a free quick ride if you come to the 562 meet next month. Search it on youtube, it acts as a ram air intake. Its like cars with a turbo kit that has a funnel for direct air into the turbine. Its not too different from what you see on some drag racing cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
BaMBaM4002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 6sp -BSM/Coral

Quote:
Stangorang and kiwi29 are wasting each others time talking about scoops being effective in any case. Also, you two drive different cars, 335i>328i....yet the OP is asking about scoops for his 06 325i ....

As a side note, who offers to give a 'free ride' to show how an addition of scoops makes an improvement on your naturally aspired engine's throttle response?? But really...just search around the forum and see if you can find dyno sheets showing an improvement in engine performance with just the addition of scoops. <-This topic has been and we should just focus on what the OP has asked.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #13
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaMBaM4002 View Post
Stangorang and kiwi29 are wasting each others time talking about scoops being effective in any case. Also, you two drive different cars, 335i>328i....yet the OP is asking about scoops for his 06 325i ....

As a side note, who offers to give a 'free ride' to show how an addition of scoops makes an improvement on your naturally aspired engine's throttle response?? But really...just search around the forum and see if you can find dyno sheets showing an improvement in engine performance with just the addition of scoops. <-This topic has been and we should just focus on what the OP has asked.
actually, i told the OP that i would put them on for him for 10 bucks. That's if he didn't know how to do it himself. I wasn't paying attention to what car he drove. I would take them off first giving him a ride then re attatch them.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
BMW-Neil-E90
See Me Fly By In A 330i
United_States
Rep
Drives: AlpineWhite 330i 6-speed

Garage List
i agree scoops aren't always the best idea..but to each there own, i personal think dinans ram air is the best way to get air in
http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D760-9...ly.aspx#page=1
      12-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #15
befat78
Rep
Drives: E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Neil-E90 View Post
i agree scoops aren't always the best idea..but to each there own, i personal think dinans ram air is the best way to get air in
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Neil-E90 View Post
you can do both though if you want... the scoops and the brake duct from dinan... ^__^
Appreciate 0