E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Quick question for those in TX

05-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
///McRae
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quick question for those in TX

Apologies in advance, but I am not a native!

I recently bought a 2006 325i. It has a license plate holder on the back (still got dealers tags at the moment) but nothing on the front. My dealer has told me that I am legally required to put a license plate on the front of the car. So, do I really need to do this? And if so, then why haven't they provided me with a place to put it?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 f80 M3 '13 f25 x3 35

On my current car I have never had a front license plate on (~ 7 years). By law you are supposed to have both front and back, but it doesn't appear to be strictly enforced (at least not here in DFW). The only time I got cited for it was in some podunk town outside of Amarillo, and thats probably because they needed the money. Anyways, in major towns I wouldnt worry about it too much. Enjoy your ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Chi-town330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
I think temporary tags are usually only placed on the rear. My guess is when you go back to get your permanent plates, they will put one on front and rear, and provide the brackets, unless you tell them not to put one up front.

As to the law in Texas, back when I lived there it was a requirement as I recall, but not sure of current law. If you don't get a Texas-specific answer on here, you may want to try the southwest region sub-forum:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
bmrfam
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is vert & X5 50

It is a law in Texas to have front and back plates and that they can not be covered by anything. This even goes for plate frames that cover minor stuff like the moon or stars. Technically they are illegal.

Like was stated already, your mileage may vary. I had 3 e46's for 3 years each with no front plates and no problems. I also have an X3 without plates and was pulled over for 3 warnings on speeding and the plate was never mentioned. On the fourth pull-over, I was given a ticket for both the plate and the speeding. It really depends on what they are looking for and if they notice it or not. If they do, the law says you can get a ticket.

Even with that though, all you have to do is mount it (or make it look like it is well mounted) and show it to the court. They will then wave the citation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
///McRae
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Thanks guys. I have found a discussion on this very topic in the SW region forum!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrfam View Post
It is a law in Texas to have front and back plates and that they can not be covered by anything. This even goes for plate frames that cover minor stuff like the moon or stars. Technically they are illegal.
TRUE

bill was introduced in Austin to change this sent to Perry's desk....dont know if he signed it?

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/7168516.html
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I never have fronts. In my M3 got pulled over once outside Houston. Highway man. Gave me a warning..because. I keep a beat up bug covered plate in the trunk. It flew off ofsicur.
      05-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
my dealer gave me two plates and an extra bracket for the front but he asked me if i want to have them put on i said no. the bracket and the other plate is still at home. he said he won't recommend putting such brackets on such nice cars but can't guarantee that i won't get a ticket for it.
      05-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
TRUE

bill was introduced in Austin to change this sent to Perry's desk....dont know if he signed it?

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/7168516.html
"In 2003, the Legislature banned placing anything on a license plate that interferes with the readability of the name of the state where it was issued or another original design feature."

Wow! The way I'm reading the second paragraph of that article indicates that if I drive into Texas with Virginia plates and a frame that obscures part of the wonderful mountain scene or with North Carolina plates with the "First Flight" covered, I'm liable for a ticket even if the frame doesn't violate Virginia or North Carolina law.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
"In 2003, the Legislature banned placing anything on a license plate that interferes with the readability of the name of the state where it was issued or another original design feature."

Wow! The way I'm reading the second paragraph of that article indicates that if I drive into Texas with Virginia plates and a frame that obscures part of the wonderful mountain scene or with North Carolina plates with the "First Flight" covered, I'm liable for a ticket even if the frame doesn't violate Virginia or North Carolina law.
That law was recently change, and I believe takes affect in September. They did a whole segment on a local Houston news channel about it, and how ridiculous of a law it was.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Gubbins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

I have not had a front plate on any of my cars for three years in Dallas with no problems. I was in fact pulled over only last week for speeding in Dallas and the cop said nothing about my missing front plate. But I was once given a repair it ticket for my front plate about four years ago, in Plano. So in the rare event that you do get called out on it, keep your front plate and bracket around.
Appreciate 0