E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 1st Time at Track - Willow Springs :)

11-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
1st Time at Track - Willow Springs :)

I attended a private track event yesterday at Willow Springs, with some insane (1,000+ HP) cars in attendance. The group organizing the event was first class (shift-s3ctor). This was my first time ever at a track. I've done a few canyon runs years ago but I consider myself a beginner.

I ran with the lower HP group (http://shift-s3ctor.com/?page_id=7). Even though this was the lower HP group, all cars were modded and some of the drivers had significant exerience. The best thing for me was that I was provided an instructor who first sat as a passenger in my car in the initial lead-follow laps, and then next, I was the passenger in his car for a few laps of open run with the high HP cars (even though his car was only 150 HP (old beat up and falling apart caged 87 325is), he was keeping up with the 700 - 1,000 HP+ exotics!!) . I paid a lot of attention, and learned a lot.

When I got back into my car for the lower HP group runs, I was by myself but much more comfortable from what I had learned earlier. I didn't get a transponder but have a good idea of my times as I ended up running right with a guy in a race-prepped 2011 5.0 mustang (big brake kit, roll cage, 600HP) for about 6 laps. I spoke with the driver a bit afterwards and he said that his fastest times were in the 1:39's. No way was I below 1:40...and would guess I might have been 1:44- 1:45. In perspective, another guy that day apparently broke the Willow Springs track record for a stock e9x M3 on street tires (Nitto Nt05's) with a 1:36. I have no idea whether that is correct or not, just what he said. The high HP 911's/GTR's/Vette's were somewhere in the 1:20's.

My car is as follows: 2010 335i 6AT. A total of 6 bolt ons...2 suspension and 4 engine as follow - Suspension mods: KW Custom comfort coils on the softest setting. Car is not very low (actually raised a few cm in the rear - see pic). 19" VMR VB3's 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear with 235/275 Nitto Invos (obviously going to push with this set up). Cold tire pressure 36 front 32 rear. Engine mods are Procede rev 2.5 with Vishnu DCI, Vishnu PWM methanol kit, and 2.5" catlezz downpipes. Procede running the newest 11-01 Stage 2 agressive maps. I was running about 2 gallons of 91 mixed with about 5 gallons of 100. My meth/water mixture was approx 75/25. I was shifting manually using the steering wheel paddles.

The meth was the key! No CEL's, limps, anything. Oil temps never went above 240. I was able to keep right up with the 600 HP Mustang around turn 9 and through the long straight as well! The long straight was the only passing area for the lower HP group, and we were passing some of the other cars like they were standing still, even though no one in our group was under 300 HP. I was reaching speeds on the straight of nearly 150 indicated on the speedo immediately before braking for turn 1, however the realistic speeds were more like 142-144mph given how optimistic the speedo reads and comparing with the other drivers.

Now that was the problem...braking hard at 140mph was the achilles heel for my car. Stock brakes, stock pads. Around lap 3, and I began to feel a noticable vibration upon braking, which progressively got worse and worse, to a point around lap 6 where I became uncomfortable and exited the track. I had two other opportunities to run but was no longer comfortable anymore.

We also did a side-by-side roll on acceleration event later in the day which was a ton of fun as well. I posted the results here already: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610280

All in all, it was a lot of fun and I would definitely do it again. Brakes would need to be upgraded, and probably an LSD as well as well as some rear M3 suspension part upgrades. Not sure if I want to spend that kind of $ on a 335, however as it really isn't a track car and there's probably a lot of other things that would need to be upgraded as well. So I'm now looking at 911's
Attached Images

a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w

Last edited by Longboarder; 11-12-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

sigh...after reading this, where do I even start....Groups assigned by HP and you're driving solo on the first event??? You may have had fun but that's a heck of an incorrect approach to get started with track sessions.

Sign up with CCA and attend a few classes please. Leave the car alone, invest lots of time in driver training.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm trying to help you but you need to focus on driver training and stop looking at HP, mph and lap timing.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Thanks for the input. You are right...classes would help a lot. I forgot to mention that my brother is an ex-professional motorcycle racer and has taught me the fundamentals over the years so it wasn't a new experience altogether.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

good stuff!

Have a look at motorsportsreg.com for all upcoming HPDEs in your area. CCA events are your best bet for improving drivers' skills but PCA, SCCA, SCDA, NASA etc are all good choices too.

You saw what your instructor can do with an e36 at the track, once you get a few sessions in you'll be lapping exotics without even thinking about it, especially in the beginner groups. You'll have a blast!
Appreciate 0