E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Strange but Easy Question Please Help

11-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Strange but Easy Question Please Help

Just recently, my engine bay has been getting dirty much quicker than normal. Just got an ER charge pipe with Forge DV's installed. When I got it back from the shop, noticed for the first time ever (and I've looked at that bay a lot, just ask my wife) three "holes" in the driver fender well. Looking through them I can see the ground and tire. Pic attached (not my car) shows an arrow pointing at one of them...the other two are lower and to the right...blocked by the BOV. Can someone just check their car real quick and let me know if you can see through these holes and see the tire, etc, or if the holes are filled with a black, plastic tab or something...couldn't quite tell from any of the pics I found online.

I'm looking on getbmwparts, but haven't found a tab part yet.

And yes, I can call the shop also. They are closed for the wknd though.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DSCI0186.pdf (1.67 MB, 120 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

Supposed to be there. No plastic covers for it
      11-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

No those holes are not plugged on any model that I'm aware of. There are one or two on the other side as well.

Are your hood seals in place? Any modifications to the front radiator/intercooler shrouding? Any shiny dressing on your engine?
      11-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
No those holes are not plugged on any model that I'm aware of. There are one or two on the other side as well.

Are your hood seals in place? Any modifications to the front radiator/intercooler shrouding? Any shiny dressing on your engine?
The only thing the car was in for was a swap from an ER charge pipe with Tial BOV to ER charge pipe with Forge DV's (don't ask) so as far as I know no changes to any items mentioned. Where I'm really noticing the dust is on the ER silicone tubing so guess it is just sticking to those...although seems to be more dust overall to some extent. I'm not a clean freak, but am considering figuring some way to plug the holes. Seems strange they would be there at all...they can't be functional. Probably just start with duct tape to see if the holes are the source.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Metal duct tape also works temporarily with less goo to clean up. If you have a motorcycle shop or dealer near you, call them to see whether the sell S100 motorcycle cleaner. Just spray the engine down with the cleaner, let sit for 3-5 mins, then rinse with a gentle spray. I clean the engine once every 6-8 weeks.
      11-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Metal duct tape also works temporarily with less goo to clean up. If you have a motorcycle shop or dealer near you, call them to see whether the sell S100 motorcycle cleaner. Just spray the engine down with the cleaner, let sit for 3-5 mins, then rinse with a gentle spray. I clean the engine once every 6-8 weeks.
Ok, thanks for the info. Think I actually have some of that tape already. Will give it a try.
Appreciate 0