F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why "Lines"?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-11-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Why "Lines"?

I'm trying to figure out why we now have Lines. A package discount? A tool to help BMW reduce customization costs?

If you can order whatever you want--as can be done today--what does "Lines" add to the party?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
mohrgan
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

IMHO? Nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Do you read at all? This has probably been addressed 100 times on this forum.

You can build a standard F30 3 series model nearly any way you want, just like you can now with the E90. The Lines add additional customization options for customers. More and more customers are demanding personalization of nearly everything they buy, this is BMW's answer to providing additional customization options.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
A tool to help BMW reduce customization costs?
Yes, IMHO, that's it, at least primarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
You can build a standard F30 3 series model nearly any way you want, just like you can now with the E90.
If only it were true. You only get two leather choices if you order no line, whereas with the E90 you got six. You also only get three interior trim choices whereas it is four for the E90. You also get black exterior trim instead of polished silver like it is today (though this is likely to please as many or more people than it disappoints). Your mirror caps are black, and you cannot get body color. And of course you don't have access to any of the new and interesting things that the lines have such as contrast stitching on the interior, the front bumper accents, and door sill trims. While its true that those things are aren't customizable today with the E90, its a shame that with the F30 you can customize them but only in very select combination with other aesthetic elements.

Quote:
The Lines add additional customization options for customers. More and more customers are demanding personalization of nearly everything they buy, this is BMW's answer to providing additional customization options.
If BMW wanted to give people more customization, they just allow you to order any of the options available across all the lines in any combination you wish. They don't do this because it would mean many, many more variations of cars to have to build, and that would increase costs.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

One other possibility is that they're holding back on providing more customization options for model year 2013. They may offer the different leather colors and trim to the base model at that time.

Perhaps someone with more BMW experience than I have could offer some insight here. Have they done this before? i.e. offered more trim/customization choices later in a product cycle.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Do you read at all? This has probably been addressed 100 times on this forum.

You can build a standard F30 3 series model nearly any way you want, just like you can now with the E90. The Lines add additional customization options for customers. More and more customers are demanding personalization of nearly everything they buy, this is BMW's answer to providing additional customization options.
Well, with 6200+ posts here I have to wonder if you read anything else besides this forum.

That said, if you can order anything you want, LINES seems redundant.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Weird Side Effect
Side effects may include...
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3, e46 M3

I personally don't mind that there are lines, however, I feel it will be confusing for some.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
That said, if you can order anything you want, LINES seems redundant.
That's what I thought too. The statements that you can order it any way you want, and that lines add customization options are not really compatible with each other.
Appreciate 0