E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Swirls on new car...already?

11-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
NYGMen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Swirls on new car...already?

I have a 6 week old 2011 335i blk saph. metal. convert. I took it to get washed a few times (hand wash, but at a typical "car wash place") and I can already see swirls if you look close.

Do I need to seal a brand new car? Ugh, frustrating. the car looks so good when it is clean, VERY hard to keep it that way. Any suggestions?

Is it the wash that gives swirls, when they towel dry, something else?

Finally, for a low maintenance person like me (not enough time) what is best product to use?

thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

yes, u should seal a brand new car and yes most likely it's the wash that gives the swirls marks. how often do you work on your car and for how long? i mean, anything good it's going to take time. Just like correction, you can't get that in an hour, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Waxes and sealants don't do anything to prevent swirls. The swirls are likely being caused by a combination by dirty wash media and drying towels at the car wash. If you don't want swirls you need to wash your car yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

"Typical" carwash places give you the "typical" swirls and defects. You should try washing it yourself, using the two bucket method.

Detailing Guide
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Waxes and sealants don't do anything to prevent swirls. The swirls are likely being caused by a combination by dirty wash media and drying towels at the car wash. If you don't want swirls you need to wash your car yourself.

Bingo, and it's black paint at that.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're trying to swim in a pool with no water. OP, you pretty much have the 'perfect storm': Black paint + no 2 buckets wash + questionable cleanliness of towels from the car wash that obviously caters to people that ARE NOT you.

(should have bought silver)

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
NYGMen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well that is crappy ass news, but thanks for the info. Living in the north east, winter is a tough time to wash yourself, its damn cold, not sure what I am going to do.

Ill seal it some time over the next week or so and pick up a few of the items you guys mention in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

I wash my car every week, but only bucket wash it when its VERY DIRTY, in-between washes I do a waterless wash.

Just make sure you buy plenty of microfibre towels!

Unfortunately, I can never go to a car wash again :/
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
2011328xi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

Yep, you can introduce swirls in one single wash if not done correctly. Black is sooooo hard to keep swirl free. As careful as I was my Vette would always have some after a few months. I polished it twice a year but it was a lot of work. After 3 years with black that's why we have silver now..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
DetailAddict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

man as a detailer that does correction, i gave up on my jet black e90 LONG time ago! LOL! I just clay and sealant from time to time to cover things up. i guess when it's your own car, you tend not to spend too much time on it... hahahah!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGMen View Post
Well that is crappy ass news, but thanks for the info. Living in the north east, winter is a tough time to wash yourself, its damn cold, not sure what I am going to do.

Ill seal it some time over the next week or so and pick up a few of the items you guys mention in this forum.
Live and learn.
There's a reason why the cars at home are all silver.

If we drive them in crappy weather, we take 2 minutes to rinse them off before pulling into the garage. With the paint sealed (Collinite here), we rinse the car, sheet the water off, and it looks 95% the next day.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
jmscard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Dinan S1

Silver is the easiest by far I think... swirls are hardly even detectible.. I went from my silver e46 ci to a black e90... luckily I knew what I was getting myself into.. I use a microfiber mit and the two bucket technique... I also literally wash nearly daily, and I wax every other week... I use a high end wax, and I believe without question keeping a good wax on a car keeps the dirt from "sticking" to the paint so when you do wash it slides off much easier.. also when you pre-rinse the car a good portion of the dirt/dust comes off before the mit ever sees the car therefore that much less debri to cause swirls... luckily I am a ace detail man and do my own paint correction using a 5 step process which I do at least once a year...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
NYGMen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Christ...I am now more confused than ever. I would truly appreciate some suggestions from you guys.

My last car was a space grey 335xi coupe (2008) and my wife drives an 2010 Volvo xc60 t6 silver, so imperfections are not easily seen, but my BSM is another beast (as you have already pointed out).

I simply dont have the time to spend to get it to an elite level (between commuting to NYC I only have time on the weekends, and I simply dont get enjoyment out of spending 2 hours (or more) cleaning my car when I can be with my kids, etc.

BUT, I still want my car to look good as much as possible. I have a few questions:

*when do i need to "wash" the car (2 bucket, etc) vs when I can use the quick detail stuff
*the car is still very new, what is best product to keep deep shine?
*what is the product to help rain bead faster and keep dust away?

the detailing guide is AWESOME, but there are so many options, and many overlap that I do not know a good palce to start.

thank you all for any suggestions, and please dont tell me to sell my black metallic car and get silver
Appreciate 0