E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Speedway related accidents?

05-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Speedway related accidents?

I'm curious to know how many of you have any idea how frequent accidents occur during speedway track days. I have entertained the idea of trying this out as several members and past friends have done this.

I was Googling through and came across this sad story:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html

The track was rented by the San Diego Ferrari Owners Club on that day.
      05-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
cgnahc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

I was just going to mention this one. This was at the 2nd turn after diving into the infield from the track. Some other tracks have larger run out areas and no grass. However, California Speedway is average when it comes to a track course. You should feel comfortable with your car setup prior to high speed...this includes max braking, slalom, and skid. This will test your feel for your brakes, suspension, and tire grip. Every day is different...even time of day. Temperature, humidity, track conditions change, thus changing the characteristics of the car. I still haven't perfected the braking in the E90.
      05-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
It is better to go on a course that doesnt have real high speeds first. California Speedway is not an ideal first course to track your car. I teach high performance driving with several different groups. I would hit streets of willow first.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
It's a good idea to go to a smaller track first. California speedway can be VERY fast. BMWCCA did a track event there and they put a chicane in the long oval part but I was still up to 130+ before the 90 degree right hand turn to the infield and that was with my e46 328i sedan. So I'd imagine I'd be going MUCH faster in this car. However to your point about accidents. I have done probably 15-20 BMWCCA events. In that time I have seen about 6-8 accidents. ALL of them have been single car accidents. All except one have been novice students who wanted to push and push and didn't listen to their instructors. The one that wasn't was an "A" student (highest level) with a brand new e46 M3 and he added too much gas on a tight turn at Laguna lost the back end and threw it into the wall. Can you get yourself into trouble? YES! But if you start slow, leave your ego at home and listen to your instructor you will gain speed without realizing it and be in control and its a BLAST! If you don't you will be trying to make your car go faster, you will have that kind of scared feeling in your stomach and you will be "behind the car" and you will drive past the limits.
That being said even this last weekend at Buttonwillow I had the instructor make some "corrections" in my steering wheel to keep us on the track while driving.
Oh and if you go to Willow make sure it is STREETS at Willow and not the big track. Turn 8/9 on that track are REALLY fast and bumpy and if not done right head right into a wall! Would NOT suggest that as your first school.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]
totally agree make sure you do not got to a concrete wall track!!! run offs are great!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Thunderhill is also a great beginners track. There are no walls to really smash in to and as long as you keep both feet in when you get in to a slide, you just end up in dirt and grass.
Appreciate 0