E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Replaced clutch with Clutch Master's set up.

11-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav

Replaced clutch with Clutch Master's set up.

Well the hits just keep on coming with my BMW. I know it's part of the price of "modding" a car, but I'm continually dumping money into it!! Ok rant over here the latest...
I installed a ACT street clutch around April, after having slight slipping issues. The ACT was much stiffer than stock plus it shuttered/chattered something serious. The chattering slowly subsided after about 1000 miles but was still present especially in reverse. All that being said I think the ACT was a good upgrade but then I started having problems about a month ago.
I was getting some slipping issues that got worse very rapidly. I would be cruising in 6th gear, squeeze the throttle to pass and get slipping. It even happened with the cruise control on! Turns out the new ACT clutch was fine, the other half of the internals was slipping. This in turn glazed the clutch so the ACT with roughly 4000 miles was toast.
I decided, with little research done, to go with a single mass/light weight set up. I was so concerned with spending more money on the car I didn't do the proper due diligence. The install went fine and the unit looks nice enough. As soon as the car was started, the clutch out, car in neutral I heard the rattling that everyone else complains about with this set up. Also get very bad rattle during acceleration below 2000 RPM. It is so loud I'm not embarrassed by the rattling waste gates anymore
So all annoyances aside the clutch is good. There is a noticeable quicker reaction to throttle inputs....revs better. Also the feel is as good if not better than stock. I was so used to the ACT and the high effort required I forgot how light our clutches really were....not that the ACT was too heavy. The chattering that was so prevalent with the ACT is nonexistent now. If there was a way to eliminate or even just reduce the rattling with this set up it would be perfect!
So long story short....do your research before pulling the trigger on a big upgrade.
Cheers

Last edited by iwanna335; 11-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: text
Appreciate 0