E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rev3 Installed, Datalog and impressions!

11-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
chiefsotos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 E93

Rev3 Installed, Datalog and impressions!

I had procede tune for 3 years now. I started with V4 then Rev2 V5 and today i have just installed the Rev3 unit with 7-29maps.
My car is a manual bmw e93 with catless dps and forge ic.

All these years whatever map i used to have, whenever i made a datalog the can actual ign adv never be stable. When it reached about 8-9 then sudently fall down to 5-6.
I thought with Rev3 and maps 7-29 the problem will be solved, since rev3 can manage more ign retard but this never happen.
The following datalog is with autotune start boost 15psi, autotune ign 50% and max boost set at 17.

It is 3d to 5th gear accelaration.

This is a 4th gear accelaration.

As you see with red circles the ign adv was dropping.
The strange thing is that autotune boost setting is climp up at 16.8psi and autotune ign correction is fault down from 50% at 0%

I made more than 10 pulls and only in one in the 5th gear the autotune ign correction climp up at 20% and after a 3d gear pull it fault again at 0%.
How is tis possible? I mean if the car retards shouldn't be the autotune boost and ign correction fall down?

Then i made a datalog of start boost 10psi and max autotune boost 12psi.

The same thing happens here.
Although i have ign retards(red circles) the autotune ign goes to 0% and autotune boost setting climps at max 12psi!

So how can that be happening???

All these years i have the same problem. Can actual ign advance never reach 10 and stay there.
I have allready change spark plugs and 3 injectors with recall before 500km.

Some more observations...
When i put start boost at 15psi and max autotuning boost at 15psi when i was on 4th gear wot the car at ~5000 went to limp mode with code 10738(something about high fuel pressure error).
I tried this 3 times all of them went on limp.
When i raized the max autotune boost again at 17psi no problem at all.

And something final, when i wot with high boost in 2d or 3d gear, if i sudently take off throttle at 3000-3500rpm(it is where it achieves max boost) the car makes a big bog! If i lift the throttle after 4000rpm very smooth reaction with no bog at all
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

You forgot to plot AFR . Use the data channels included in the maps . Fuel trims/AFR
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

what octane gas are you running?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
FedeM
Made in Italy
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Former 135i

Garage List
2007 BMW 135i  [7.40]
I'm pretty sure u're running aggression target@2.
Put it at one, reset autotune, and log them again.

BTW, little drops (like 2-3°) are not a problem, just simple ecu corrections (stock map does them too)... It could be a problem when actual ign adv drop 4-5° or more...

Edit: i've not read the second part... It could be the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Plot AFR instead of road speed. You may have fueling issue that is pulling timing.

What other modifications do you have?
What is your octane?

Have you had your fuel pump or replaced or injectors?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
chiefsotos-- Drop the aggression target to 1 instead of the default of 2 which may be too aggressive in some applications. Given that you are seeing some retard activity at only 12psi (albeit with no ignition correction), I suspect that the fuel quality in Greece isn't what is is elsewhere in Europe. Not a big deal as we can adjust the map accordingly.

Perhaps a better thing to do until we determine the quality of your fuel is to disable tuning and just run Map1 (13psi, 100% IC) and log. If logs look stable, we can make things more aggressive. If you still see drop outs, then we can conclude that the fuel quality isn't up to standard. In which case, we can make things more conservative by reducing user boost.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
chiefsotos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
chiefsotos-- Drop the aggression target to 1 instead of the default of 2 which may be too aggressive in some applications. Given that you are seeing some retard activity at only 12psi (albeit with no ignition correction), I suspect that the fuel quality in Greece isn't what is is elsewhere in Europe. Not a big deal as we can adjust the map accordingly.

Perhaps a better thing to do until we determine the quality of your fuel is to disable tuning and just run Map1 (13psi, 100% IC) and log. If logs look stable, we can make things more aggressive. If you still see drop outs, then we can conclude that the fuel quality isn't up to standard. In which case, we can make things more conservative by reducing user boost.

Shiv
Tomorrow i will put up some more logs with more channels including AFR.
The fuel i use is from a good brand 100 octane and when some months ago i put 95octan fuel, the autotuning boost fall down immediatly from 16.8psi at ~14psi.
I suppose that the fuel is good because the autotuning boost and IC doesn't fall!
Maybe because i am 200kilos heavier from E92 coupes the ecu can't have the same efficient?
This afternoon i raced a M3 E92 DCT with full acrapovic exhaust.
I tried with autotune 16.8psi and IC=0 and loose about 2 cars.
Then i disable autotune and drop the the boost at 14.5psi and Ic=0 and i loose about 5 cars.
I also datalog these two races, but didn't see the graphs yet. Tomorrow i wil upload the datalogs to see how the can actual ign advance was.

Although i have knock retards with autotuning on and max boost at 17psi i have more power. I wish i can hold more stable the ign advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

you definitely shouldn't be running 17psi with the few mods you have...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
chiefsotos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the datalog graph (2nd -5th gear) when i raced the M3 with autotune on and achieved max boost at 16.8psi.

Here is the datalog (2nd-5th gear) of the second race with autotune of and boost set at 14.5psi and IC =0

In the first race i wonder why the autotune didn't raize the Ic from 0 to 50% or 100% and why the max boost didn't fall down from 16.8psi
In daily use, i drive the car on map1 with boost setting at 12psi and Ic=0
I put map2 only for race (1-2 times about month). Should i leave map2 with autotune on and max boost 17psi, or should i put autotune of with standard boost=14.5psi and IC=0. The car in midrange definetly pull harder with autotune on and 17psi max boost.

Last edited by chiefsotos; 11-04-2011 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You keep posting logs of why your car has these timing drops and Shiv as well as others have told you that your gas might be an issue and your running too aggressive setup without supporting bolt ons. With your mods you should be running 14-15 psi at most. If you want to run more I would install a meth injection system on your E93. That would 99% solve your timing drops for sure. Turn autotune off and set boost to UT setting to 50 max.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

too much boost for your mods!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Have you tried autotuning, with aggression target of 1 yet? That's likely where you need to be.

In order to avoid timing drops altogether you need to run less boost or add the appropriate modifications to allow for more boost. FMIC, DP's, Meth, ETC

It also should be mentioned the best performance might still have timing drops. You need to choose a happy medium of safety and performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
chiefsotos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Have you tried autotuning, with aggression target of 1 yet? That's likely where you need to be.

In order to avoid timing drops altogether you need to run less boost or add the appropriate modifications to allow for more boost. FMIC, DP's, Meth, ETC

It also should be mentioned the best performance might still have timing drops. You need to choose a happy medium of safety and performance.
No i didn't find time to made some more test. And now with the new beta maps i would prefer to try them..
The only mode i am missing is Meth, but i am afraid if there will be negative results in the extended use of it.
Yours last sentence is what i need to hear, i was wondering which is the most powerfull solution (high boost with some timing drops or less boost with no timing retard)
As i mention i use map 2 only for racing from time to time(race of 1km length), so i suppose it isn't so bad for the engine for using it once upon a time.
Besides when i tried to use it for longer distance the autotune Ic correction started to raize even at 50%.
Am i risking to much with these levels of boost(16-16.8 psi) and some timing drops? (I repeat it is not a daily driving map)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsotos View Post
As i mention i use map 2 only for racing from time to time(race of 1km length), so i suppose it isn't so bad for the engine for using it once upon a time.
Besides when i tried to use it for longer distance the autotune Ic correction started to raize even at 50%.
Am i risking to much with these levels of boost(16-16.8 psi) and some timing drops? (I repeat it is not a daily driving map)
If I were you, I'd drop the boost. But if winning a race is more important than you're engines safety... The timing drops you posted aren't terrible, but dropping timing multiple times in one gear definitely means you're being too aggressive. As others have said, you should be running less boost.

Keep your car healthy and just run some racing gas on nights you plan on pushing it. I don't know what mods you're running, but you can get to FBO pretty inexpensively with this car. If running high boost is important to you, you have to pay the cost. You've gotten advise from some very knowledgeable people and they've all said the same thing. I hope you don't post a thread about you "breaking your car". I feel like this is where you're heading.
Appreciate 0