E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VF Engineering has a supercharger in the development deptartment

11-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

VF Engineering has a supercharger in the development deptartment

Okay. I emailed VF Engineering yesterday and copied the ESS thread as well.
They're working on it.

I tried to modify the title of the ESS thread, but it won't let me, so I started a new thread.

Competition is a good thing!

Here is their response:
Thank you for contacting us. We have a number of products going through our development dept and the N5X engine is included. We may have some more information early next year.

-Technical
VF-Engineering
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

yayyyy more waiting
      11-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

That doesn't really say much... just "we have projects going on"...

I think all this mess about superchargers is fine... it'll give a little boost to our cars (record from ARMA is 50% increase with their stage 2 package) but i think someone needs to step up and put TWIN SUPERCHARGERS on the market... if at the least, make some parts for the 6MT and 6DCT transmissions to sustain the power increase.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lync9763 View Post
That doesn't really say much... just "we have projects going on"...

I think all this mess about superchargers is fine... it'll give a little boost to our cars (record from ARMA is 50% increase with their stage 2 package) but i think someone needs to step up and put TWIN SUPERCHARGERS on the market... if at the least, make some parts for the 6MT and 6DCT transmissions to sustain the power increase.
I don't understand what you're talking about with twin superchargers.
We have a 3.0 liter engine. There are plenty of superchargers out there that are actually too big for our engines. Using two of them will make no difference at all.
If you're talking about a twin-screw supercharger, it still won't make a difference vs. a centrifical supercharger. The tuning is the issue with our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Rob good stuff man. That would be sick and a good brand name that would actually back the product and I would think make it more reliable. Think you would get one?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Give up people, SC is not going to happen. F30 is already out and yet nothing for e90. 6 years have passed and nothing.

Enjoy your cars the way they are, because they are great cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Yea everyone who owns an e36 M3 and are still hooking them up and supercharging them should have given up too.

Truth is there is and will be a market for a forced induction option for this rare vehicle. A 2006 330i was made for one year. Regardless of telling everyone oh give up buy a 335 blah blah blah, Car modding is about personal preference and uniqueness. A supercharger whine combined with the great sound of these vehicles will be something unique and fun. It isn't all about numbers and who's dick is bigger all the time. People who mod e36 m3's and get walked by a mom in an X5 still have a cool car they are proud of. The trolls on this site need to realize that alot of us are here for unique options to set us apart from others. There will always be someone with a faster better more modded car then you but if what you have and have done makes you happy and proud to own it then that's fine by me.

Why do people still mod VW corrados? Why dont they just buy a 335? Well because they like the car, its unique, and it makes them happy and they had fun working on it.

So instead of all the bashing and childish comments on this board, why don't we act like mature people with a passion for cars and enjoy them and give good advice, and cut all the bullshit.

One last thing. I know for a fact that my 330i is fast enough that I can't even begin to use its potential by the people that don't move over, the amount of traffic lights, etc. Yea an 800 hp anything would be awesome but I still drive the same roads and would never be able to fully utilize the power.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Well, I've been on these boards since early 2007 and have seen countless "XXX is working on a supercharger for n52" threads, and none of the manufacturers have pulled through with the idea except for Arma, but at 12k price point, it didn't gain any popularity. Then there was a company with a stroker kit for n52, 12k as well.

Yes, e46 and e36 have SC upgrades, but they didnt' have n52 valvetronic issues which apparently are serious enough for companies to bypass further development.

If supercharger does ever come out, then good for all of us. I too used to have an n52 powered 325i and waited 4 years for something to come out. I just got tired of waiting.

There are ways of making a 325/328/330i faster, but they currently revolve around weight reduction and suspension/exhaust/CAI/ECU upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
They didn't even say N52. They said N5X. That could be anything
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
berserkerx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I am hoping that it comes out as a roots style supercharger. I mean ESS and Evolve-R programmers have a lot of tuning capabilities I am sure (or I hope.) A roots is better IMHO as that it has boost instantly. As a centrifugal creates its largest amount of boost at shift point. If I wanted to wait for boost I would custom turbo it from STS or Full-Race.

However it is good to see that someone is still working on parts for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Well, I've been on these boards since early 2007 and have seen countless "XXX is working on a supercharger for n52" threads, and none of the manufacturers have pulled through with the idea except for Arma, but at 12k price point, it didn't gain any popularity. Then there was a company with a stroker kit for n52, 12k as well.
must agree. not really in the market for anything like this, but there have been numerous threads like this, and many companies have not pulled through. who really knows if the Arma stuff works and is reliable? the only customers seem to be in Asia. if you look at the developments in state side, there haven't been many companies who have spent a penny on development. MMW has been testing, but Gavin has kept it behind closed doors. I hope he succeeds, but other than that... the only other company that has actually spent money and time on development is HPF which was like in 2006/2007 (took like what? 6mo. to develop the kit?), but of course the only problem was finding a way to tune. unable to tune, they shelved it and then scraped it.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
TSM330i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazmonkee View Post
They didn't even say N52. They said N5X. That could be anything
I specified my year and engine when I emailed them and sent them the link to the ESS thread so they are referring to our engines.

At this point, we can only go by what we're being told. In the past, we didn't even get a response from these companies because they were doing nothing. I understand the pessimisim and rightly so, but the fact is we are getting responses and ESS actually reached out to me about the possiblility of development, not the other way around. I asked if they had anything to help boost HP in the way of header, tuning, head work etc and they volunteered they were considering the SC kit.

We will have to wait at least for the winter and probably spring before we find anything out. Yes tuning is going to be the issue, but they've had some time with these engines and software so hopefully they've learned how to get around the issue. It's so obvious that anyone could make brakets to mount a supercharger under our hood, that's the easy part.

As far as trolls who don't even have an NA engine, please, just stay on your own boards. I don't even go to the other boards because it's a waste of my time. +1 JimmyD
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Give up people, SC is not going to happen. F30 is already out and yet nothing for e90. 6 years have passed and nothing.

I agree.

Those who wanted the power should've just gotten a 335. The rest of us should be happy with the N52, otherwise you clearly bought the wrong car.

Optimistic thinking is great and all, but even a supercharged 328 will still be worse than a 335 in so many regards.
      11-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
As far as trolls who don't even have an NA engine, please, just stay on your own boards. I don't even go to the other boards because it's a waste of my time.
haha agreed

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
Quote:

x2
      11-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

The focus on this engine should be fully sorted 3 stage manifold conversions and getting the most out of it naturally aspirated. Nothing wrong with 275ish reliable horses. As soon as you go inside the engine or use forced induction the reliability is gone. All you guys that rag on the 335 for HPFP issues ain't seen shit yet. If these kits ever make it to the streets there will be issues galore.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Those who wanted the power should've just gotten a 335. The rest of us should be happy with the N52, otherwise you clearly bought the wrong car.
I agree, and I think most of the aftermarket parts manufacturers would agree that the market is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
The focus on this engine should be fully sorted 3 stage manifold conversions and getting the most out of it naturally aspirated. Nothing wrong with 275ish reliable horses. As soon as you go inside the engine or use forced induction the reliability is gone. All you guys that rag on the 335 for HPFP issues ain't seen shit yet. If these kits ever make it to the streets there will be issues galore.
Well said.

-Nate