E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bit by the misfire bug!

11-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Bit by the misfire bug!

I have been reading a lot of posts about misfires lately and was just waiting for it to happen to me. Last night driving home and I went to accelerate pretty hard and the service engine light came on and the car started to shutter. Everytime I would touch the gas the car would vibrate like it was rattle itself part. I pulled over turned the car off for a bit and started it back up and it drove just fine. When i got home I scanned it and I had misfires on cylinders 3 and the obvious cyclinder 5. My car has 52k+ miles and I'm runnng the JB+ at about 75%.

I orderd all the parts today, plugs, coil packs, and a spark plug tool, but they won't be here until hopefully the end of the week (maybe not till next week). I am going to drive it a miminal as possible, but is it ok to drive it until I change out the parts? Obviously I am going to drive it like a granny, but as long as I don't push it hard is it ok to drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE90 View Post
I have been reading a lot of posts about misfires lately and was just waiting for it to happen to me. Last night driving home and I went to accelerate pretty hard and the service engine light came on and the car started to shutter. Everytime I would touch the gas the car would vibrate like it was rattle itself part. I pulled over turned the car off for a bit and started it back up and it drove just fine. When i got home I scanned it and I had misfires on cylinders 3 and the obvious cyclinder 5. My car has 52k+ miles and I'm runnng the JB+ at about 75%.

I orderd all the parts today, plugs, coil packs, and a spark plug tool, but they won't be here until hopefully the end of the week (maybe not till next week). I am going to drive it a miminal as possible, but is it ok to drive it until I change out the parts? Obviously I am going to drive it like a granny, but as long as I don't push it hard is it ok to drive?
i'd recommend taking off the jb+ until you replace the coils/plugs. my car would misfire while i was running the tune (procede), but not on the stock map. once i replaced plus + coils, everything was fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
i'd recommend taking off the jb+ until you replace the coils/plugs. my car would misfire while i was running the tune (procede), but not on the stock map. once i replaced plus + coils, everything was fine.
Thought about that right after I created the post. Just pulled it out. I really appreciate the advise.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Any why did u order all that crap when it's prob just a bad plug?
+1 start with the cheapest fix (plugs) and work up.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Sounds like a plan. Try plugs first and see if that fixes it. I just have rough starts at this point, for the first 45 seconds after startup (no misfire codes yet). My car will be 5 years old in March. Will try new plugs in the spring and then new coils if the rough starts don't go away. Hoping the injectors hold up a few more years.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
Any why did u order all that crap when it's prob just a bad plug?
My thought was I might as replace everything at once since I've been reading so much about plugs and coil packs going bad. Pretty much inevitable that they'll go bad. But I will definitely take yours, bigdaddycane, and scottp999 advise and start with the plugs first. If that works I'll save the coil packs for another time as needed.

Thanks again guys for the help/advise!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
DJHess
DJ Hess
Rep
Drives: AW 535i M-Sport

Keep us informed. I too have had the same prob. Removed the COBB and runs fine. I am going to order a couple plugs. Current plugs have around 5k miles on them and also had injectors done around the same time. I might order a coil pack also, just to have around. Will get them from Tischer...BMW San Antonio wants twice as much!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Good luck solving the problem....and definitely report back.....information is key when owning an N54
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

When that happen to me it was my HPFP that was dying.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Do coils need be replaced as a set (of 6 or 3), similar to plugs? Or is it okay to only change the one that is causing misfire?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Do coils need be replaced as a set (of 6 or 3), similar to plugs? Or is it okay to only change the one that is causing misfire?
Change only the one that is giving you problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

What was the issue?

This morning my 335is died on me finally at just under 19k miles.

Had rough idle that went away after about a quarter mile driving the past week and a half. This morning it was beyond bad and got the SES light and a lot of white smoke coming out. Likely a lot of unburnt fuel because it smelled like trashy cigarette boats on Lake Havasu. When I'd try to drive, it sputtered continually and the white smoke wouldn't stop. When idling the RPM bounced up and down from as low as 400 rpm and 1400 rpm.

Had it towed to Beverly Hills BMW so we'll see what they say. Hopefully I get the car back today because I had to steal my gf's car for the day. This dealership has a 2 week long waiting list for loaner cars and charges for enterprise cars if you didn't buy the car there. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
What was the issue?

This morning my 335is died on me finally at just under 19k miles.

Had rough idle that went away after about a quarter mile driving the past week and a half. This morning it was beyond bad and got the SES light and a lot of white smoke coming out. Likely a lot of unburnt fuel because it smelled like trashy cigarette boats on Lake Havasu. When I'd try to drive, it sputtered continually and the white smoke wouldn't stop. When idling the RPM bounced up and down from as low as 400 rpm and 1400 rpm.

Had it towed to Beverly Hills BMW so we'll see what they say. Hopefully I get the car back today because I had to steal my gf's car for the day. This dealership has a 2 week long waiting list for loaner cars and charges for enterprise cars if you didn't buy the car there. No thanks.
My car did the same thing. One of the injector banks failed and when that happens it just dumps fuel into the cyl. The car runs really bad cold and you can smell all the unburned fuel.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
My car did the same thing. One of the injector banks failed and when that happens it just dumps fuel into the cyl. The car runs really bad cold and you can smell all the unburned fuel.
How long did it take BMW to fix this? It was definitely a bad unburnt fuel smell with a lot of white smoke. The puff of white smoke came out in very rapid but defined puffs (likely from each exhaust stroke of the bad cylinder). Happened a ton when cold and only when cold. This morning was the first where it did not subside.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How long did it take BMW to fix this? It was definitely a bad unburnt fuel smell with a lot of white smoke. The puff of white smoke came out in very rapid but defined puffs (likely from each exhaust stroke of the bad cylinder). Happened a ton when cold and only when cold. This morning was the first where it did not subside.
Mine also took a few days to fail. It would run ruff at startup and when it got warm it would smooth out. But like you said, it kept getting worse. The dealer replaced them under warranty, but I also think they said the injectors were in recall and they validated the second bank was already updated with the correct part number. They also did a bunch of other stuff to the car at the time. They reprogrammed the car, replaced the HPFP, and put new plugs in. If I remember correctly, I think I dropped it off in the morning and picked it up the next day. After talking to the techs, I don't even pull my mods anymore. Most of the guys have mod cars that work at the dealership and like they told me unless they can show the mod was the direct cause of the failure, they didn't care.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update
Changed my plugs this weekend and overall the plugs didn't look that bad when i pulled them out minus cyclinders 3 and 5. Install took about an hour and wasn't that bad.

Just a helpful hint but when I received the new plugs it's obvious two of them were damaged during shipping. So I had to regap them. But just double check I rechecked all the gaps and almost all of them needed some minor adjustment.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604559

Last edited by BoostedE90; 11-08-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Mine also took a few days to fail. It would run ruff at startup and when it got warm it would smooth out. But like you said, it kept getting worse. The dealer replaced them under warranty, but I also think they said the injectors were in recall and they validated the second bank was already updated with the correct part number. They also did a bunch of other stuff to the car at the time. They reprogrammed the car, replaced the HPFP, and put new plugs in. If I remember correctly, I think I dropped it off in the morning and picked it up the next day. After talking to the techs, I don't even pull my mods anymore. Most of the guys have mod cars that work at the dealership and like they told me unless they can show the mod was the direct cause of the failure, they didn't care.
I am picking the car up this afternoon. Like you, I dropped off yesterday AM, and will get it by next day PM.

SA said they replaced the hpfp first and foremost, then noted that there were a lot of other codes thrown, including injectors, maybe coil packs etc. I'm not sure what else, but I'll see the list of damage later on today. I just want my car back lol. I've been driving my gf's C300 the past two days because this dealer won't give me a loaner or rental for free.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Damage done was 1 hpfp, 6 fuel injectors, 1 ignition coil. Not bad lol. I don't know what caused what to fail. Does the hpfp cause the rest of this stuff to fail?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damage done was 1 hpfp, 6 fuel injectors, 1 ignition coil. Not bad lol. I don't know what caused what to fail. Does the hpfp cause the rest of this stuff to fail?
Well, I would say no. The HPFP just sealed the deal and both injector banks were probably the recall part numbers so they just replaced them. The dealer replaced only one of mine, the other they indicated was already the upgraded part number. I bought my car used, so it could have been replaced prior. I've heard people talk about the coil packs going bad, not sure but I think the dealer also replaced some when they put a new set of plugs in. I would have to go back and look at my service records.

I can't believe the dealer wouldn't provide you a loaner. The only time I wasn't able to get a loaner was at short notice like same day and the dealer was really swamped...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^right? about the loaner car. This dealership is a pretty high profile one that I always avoided because of cheeseball business tactics like that. I automatically dislike service centers that don't give you a free loaner or at least a paid pos rental car. Buy a 2011 BMW, get stranded. I shouldn't be left with a shuttle that will only take me halfway to my office.
There are other dealerships I go to for planned service because they have a loaner for me regardless of where I purchased my car, as well as free oil top offs etc. It's just going the extra mile to get customers to frequent your business.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #21
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE90 View Post
Update
Changed my plugs this weekend and overall the plugs didn't look that bad when i pulled them out minus cyclinders 3 and 5. Install took about an hour and wasn't that bad.

Just a helpful hint but when I received the new plugs it's obvious two of them were damaged during shipping. So I had to regap them. But just double check I rechecked all the gaps and almost all of them needed some minor adjustment.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604559
Dude, did this resolve your issue? Who cares how the gaps looked after shipping. Did the plugs resolve the misfire issues?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TWNTURBO View Post
Dude, did this resolve your issue? Who cares how the gaps looked after shipping. Did the plugs resolve the misfire issues?

Thanks
Yes they did! Car idles great and no misfires. I still have a bit of hestitation when I step on it but I think that might fuel related.
Appreciate 0