E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New stereo install into E90

11-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 320d

New stereo install into E90 ***UPDATED WITH PICS 19th JAN*** Morel, Alpine, Arc

UPDATED WITH PICS POST BELOW...19th JAN

G’day from Australia,

I originally considered purchasing from VP electricity but after lack of response, difficulty with aftermarket install in another country and despite the additional cost I thought it best to support a local shop.

Northfield Moorooka in South East Queensland, Australia are well regarded as the premier aftermarket shop and I look forward to them working their magic again.

In a similar vain to Vp electricity systems but with a local spin I have decided to go ahead with the following system in my 2011 E90 320d sedan;

-Factory iDrive
-Alpine H800 processor plus RUX controller
-Morel Hybrid ovation 4' and tweeter
-Morel ADMW9 under seats
-Arc audio Ks900.6 running fully active (4 x60 RMS + 2 x 155 RMS)

Having a “base” system it is imperative to fix the EQ’d sound and provide a “flat” curve which the Alpine H800 processor will take care of, including all the necessary tuning.

For now I’m going to hold off on the subwoofer and see how it sounds. I suspect I’ll need a dedicated sub but I'm interested to see how well the ADMW9's can handle it. If the bass isn’t sufficient I’ll add a boot mounted sub and amp at a later date.

Install will be completed next Tuesday so I’ll be sure to report back later and let you know how it goes.

Comments, positive or negative are welcome...

Matt D

Front doors are deadened. Although the speaker is installed on the door card should help reduce noise.

Morel ADMW9

All hidden!

Amp rack

Alpine H800 processor fits under the floor

Finshed boot. Musicar enclosure RHS & Arc mini amp under the trim LHS

Alpine RUX controller

Last edited by mattex; 02-20-2012 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Unless your a total bass head

A good pair of under seats is enough
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
greenman
Rep
Drives: S2000

Interesting you had a lack of response from VP electricity. I have also had this issue, which is odd because he has so many good post on the boards. At first, when sizing up a system for me, we would respond to my emails within the day. Then poof - no more responses. Bummer too, because I was getting excited about the system he was proposing for me and nothing else I have seen seems as interesting to me. Perhaps he is on a long vacation or something since you had a similar experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Instead of the ADMW9, consider the MW265-4, which has similar specs at a much better price.
      11-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
VP has a real shop, and hes really busy.
not saying you guys are tire kickers, but hes just a really busy guy, it takes a while for him to respond. From what i gather, if its support, post purchase hes on things quickly.

good luck with the install Mattax, please post photos and review once its all done.
      11-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Guys, I'm really sorry that I can't get back to everyone every day. I spend about 4-6 hours on email a day most days, and another 1-2 hours before I go to bed. The simpler replies tend to get through faster if only because they are easier to crank out. I am not trying to treat anyone poorly, but at times we get slammed here in the shop and I spend no time at all on the computer all day, and then I'm screwed for a week.

We are in the process of putting most of what I email up onto a new website and freeing me up for the more involved projects, which I enjoy and which I want to support better than I have.

My apologies, and I am still slogging along though the inbox.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

And does AUS actually HAVE Alpine H800? There's still no announced ship date here...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

After buying one of his systems

I can see why he is so busy .
I know people drive from faraway states
to get one of his systems and go away with a smile on
there face after doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Instead of the ADMW9, consider the MW265-4, which has similar specs at a much better price.
Thanks but unfortunately the gear is already order.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Guys, I'm really sorry that I can't get back to everyone every day. I spend about 4-6 hours on email a day most days, and another 1-2 hours before I go to bed. The simpler replies tend to get through faster if only because they are easier to crank out. I am not trying to treat anyone poorly, but at times we get slammed here in the shop and I spend no time at all on the computer all day, and then I'm screwed for a week.

We are in the process of putting most of what I email up onto a new website and freeing me up for the more involved projects, which I enjoy and which I want to support better than I have.

My apologies, and I am still slogging along though the inbox.
No worries. Wasn't a personal attack, I understand that a consequence of doing quality work often means you're very busy! Was keen on one of your system however pretty confident the local shop will do a great job.

Last edited by mattex; 11-04-2011 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
And does AUS actually HAVE Alpine H800? There's still no announced ship date here...
Yes, the Alpine H800 has been available for a few months in Australia, good to see we got one over the yanks for a change! Haha.

Despite some initial teething problems, by all accounts it's an awesome processor and Northfield Moorooka have been getting good results to date.

I auditioned their Mazda CX9 with a relative cheap and straight forward system with only a Alpine H800, DLS 3 ways, 2 x 8" Arc subs and 2 x Arc mini amps. By far one of the most complete and best sounding systems I've ever heard, so much so they have taken some SQ trophies.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
greenman
Rep
Drives: S2000

Great VP! I look forward to hearing back from you.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update on System. 19th Jan 2012

I had the system installed by Northfield Moorooka late November and have been enjoying tunes ever since so thought I’d better put some details up.

The final system configuration:

3 way front stage fully active
-Morel Hybrid Ovation II 4” components with Mt-22 Tweeter in stock locations
-Morel ADMW9’s 9” woofers under seats in custom enclosures
-1 x Arc Audio Arc Kar KS 300.4 running the components active. 90w rms x 4
-1 x Arc Audio Arc Kar KS 300.4 bridged running the under seats. 350w rms x2

Sub
-Morel Ultimo SC10 2 ohm 10” sub in Musicar corner loaded enclosure
-Arc Audio 500.1 mini amp. 500w rms

By no means am I an audiophile but thought I’d provide some feedback so far.

The tuning has only been set to run the system in and I’m sure there will be countless hours of tweaking to come but overall I’m very happy. Once the sub has had a few more hours I’m looking at visiting Northfield in the next week to get the final tune completed. It sounds pretty good now put I’m sure once Imprinted and a look at an RTA there’ll be plenty of areas to improve.

The Morel Hybrid Ovation components are delightful speakers to listen to and undoubtedly have ample power. Not bright unlike my previous Focals and seem to play particularly low for a 4”.

After reading many reviews I must agree the best way to describe the Morel Ultimo Sc10 sub is ‘musical’. It certainly won’t win any SPL comps but blends so well with music I often find myself wondering if its on, until I turn it off and it’s obvious! Maybe its because it blends so well with the under seats but the bass is so seamless and doesn’t demostrate any of that boominess that I’m accustom to from previous systems.

I'm most impressed with the attention to detail and the quality of the install. The 2 larger Arc amps were mounted under the rear parcel shelf with the processor under the rear floor. While standing at the rear of vehicle the amps are hardly visable and impede very little on actual boot space. The sub amp is mounted under the boot lining on the left. The RUX controller is mounted with a custom insert neatly in the console, beats floating around the glove box and provides easy access for any adjustments.

Front doors are deadened. Although the speaker is installed on the door card should help reduce noise.

Morel ADMW9

All hidden!

Amp rack

Alpine H800 processor fits under the floor

Finshed boot. Musicar enclosure RHS & Arc mini amp under the trim LHS

Alpine RUX controller

Last edited by mattex; 02-20-2012 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Is that amp rack custom built or do they sell them somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecka
Is that amp rack custom built or do they sell them somewhere?
Custom made.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Really great job. Love the components selected and the installation is about as clean as it can be made with 3 amps and a processor! Way to go, probably one of the best systems on these forums.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
Really great job. Love the components selected and the installation is about as clean as it can be made with 3 amps and a processor! Way to go, probably one of the best systems on these forums.
Thanks. Wasn't cheap but I'm really happy with the outcome.

Looking forward to getting in tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #18
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick update:

Had the boys at Northfield Moorooka tweak the tune a little bit the other week now the system is well run in.

The results were outstanding. I thought the system already sounded great but now it sounds so much better. Now my favourite tunes are sounding amazing without any noticeable harshness or peaks.

They used the Alpine Imprint and an RTA. Interestingly the custom tune using the RTA and ear sounds markedly better than the Imprint tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #19
TJcouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe

ADMW enclosures

Mattex: Very impressive system. Please comment in more detail on the under seat enclosures, including the shop's rationale for going custom rather than fitting to the OEM enclosure. Any additional pics you might have from different angles would be great too. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #20
mattex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJcouper View Post
Mattex: Very impressive system. Please comment in more detail on the under seat enclosures, including the shop's rationale for going custom rather than fitting to the OEM enclosure. Any additional pics you might have from different angles would be great too. Thanks

G,day!

Sorry just recognised your post. Thanks for the positive feedback, Im delighted with the system couldn't be happier. Now its all tuned I've been meaning to write an update.

There were a few reasons the shop didn't use the factory enclosure;

1. Foremost I wanted to leave the factory enclosures unbutchered so the system could be returned to factory easily.
2. The shop felt the custom enclosure would provide a more solid mounting.
3. Additionally they couldn't get the appropriate clearance required for operation using the faculty enclosure. (And yes I know its been done before)

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
Dmoney0823
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi Sedan

When u remove the front seats in car did you get any dash lights when the car was put back together?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #22
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Those enclosures look like they came out pretty good. Any idea on how they were made?
Appreciate 0