2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 550i Custom Exhaust questions

10-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
tws_andrew
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 AW CP M5, Turbo S, TT Ram

550i Custom Exhaust questions

Looking to have my own built seeing what Edman did and the limited offerings on the market I want to build an exahust. I plan to start at the mufflers by either replacing them with a set of the same Vibrant Ultra Quiets Edman used or possibly a Magnaflow Oval offset. Then will move to the X pipe as I have made a few of these. Have a few questions

Flap - Does anyone know for sure where this resides and where the vacuum lines are?
Cats - I assume the primaries are up in the top of the DPs and the secondaries are at the front of the H pipe? If I try to bipass the secondaries I will get a CEL right?
Tips - Was planning dual round 90mm. Do you think this will fit in an Mtech rear without trimming or burning the edge?
X drive - My car is an X drive but I cannot see anything different in the exhaust. Any ideas? I believe in the 3 series the xi had a different exhaust part number
Dyno - I see very few dyno numbers on the car on this forum. I plan on dynoing before and after. Anything I have to deal with as far as dyno mode or does anyone have any advice on dynoing this car? I plan to use the same 4 wheel dyno I have used on my Audi, Porsche and GTR. Very interested in seeing the baseline and factory curve.

I did this on my GTR as I had one of the first cars here way before there were multiple exhaust options and we had great success. Ended up making more power than all the first gen systems at 1/5th the price plus it was fun and I got exactly what I wanted. I will document it and hope I can help out others. I am ready to begin except the "flap". I could obviously go to a parts diagram but I thought maybe someone already answered this. Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0