Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire question - Vancouver

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
dnjc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Diesel :)

Tire question - Vancouver

hey guys,

great forum...I've been reading over all the threads and there is a wealth of information to be found.

so here's the situation...I will be picking up a E90 335i in the next few weeks...now from all the threads that I have searched and read, it seems like it would be wise for me to pick up a dedicated set of winter tires...I've never driven a RWD before (always had FWD with all-seasons) so this is a new thing for me.

here's my dilemma...I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, which as some of you know, doesn't really get a lot of snow. Yes, this last winter was out of the norm because we had like 2 weeks of heavy snow...but usually we only get a few days of snow here and there. What we do get is an unbelievable amount of rain I think I can count all the sunny days on one hand ) But generally the weather is pretty mild out here...

having done all the research on the Runflats (and the fact that I'm on a lease), here are my options:

1. All-seasons (save the Runflats until the lease is up);
2. Winter set (keep the Runflats and hope that with the swapping, they will last until the lease is up)
3. Buy new summer and winter tires

One other option I haven't considered is simply asking my dealer to swap the tires before delivery...I guess I could just go with a set of all-seasons.

what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
kdjohn72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Vancouver is great, Im originally from Bellingham, now in NY. I know the weather there well. Due to the mild winters (rarely below freezing) I recommend dedicated summer performance tires. Take the bus, rail or get a ride if and when it snows? My previous bmw (330ci) I used summer only tires (yoko es100) in upstate NY, we get a lot of snow and many days of sub zero temperatures. I had one flat tire due to extreme cold and drove it in wet snow, no ice. The great thing about Vancouver is the mild temperatures, base your summer performance tires on how they perform in the rain, keep the runflats until lease expires.
Enjoy the 335....I cant say enough about this car!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
get a set of winter tires, and with swapping, you both sets will last you your whole lease....

look into the Toyo garit's... excellent tires....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer View Post
get a set of winter tires, and with swapping, you both sets will last you your whole lease....
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
dnjc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Diesel :)

tires

still deciding on trying to get either some high performance all-seasons or just a new set of summers

i've never found the need to use winter tires in Vancouver in all my time here (save for 1 or 2 particular days) so all-seasons might be the way to go. having said that, if winter tires will perform significantly better in the cold rain, then i might have to look into that
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

the marketing brochures say that anything less than 7 degrees celsius and the performance of all season tires start to decline.

having said that you can probably get away with just a set of all-seasons for 360 days out of the year (just stay at home those 5 days when it is really nasty).

I personally have gotten my set of winter and summer tires. I got winter tires because this car is my daily driver and i do not have a winter beater car. people always mock bmws that can't go over icy hills or spin out on ice. i need my car to get to work and I did not want to be stuck at work or at home without transportation. plus i'd rather spend money up front for tires rather than havign to pay insurance if I got into accident.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

if you want to go with only 1 set of tires, go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

if you want two sets to swap with, go with a summer and keep the rfts if it rains or gets cold

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
VanSky
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think AS tires will be good if you don't want to swap wheels or tires in the winter but it will give you "ok" traction in snowy winter

Last Winter: (Burnaby to Vancouver to Downtown)

I had

18" + New snow tires + heavy snow = No Traction
18" + New snow tires + little snow = Too much Traction = No Fun
19" + Summer tires + little snow = FUN FUN FUN