E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium.... will damage plastic?

10-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

1Z einszett Cockpit Premium.... will damage plastic?

Hi to everyone.

I been using the 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium for about 2 years, cleaning the interior plastics on the car with it every 1-2 months. Some time ago, the plastic in which the door windows switches are started to peel. The first time I saw the plastic peel was while cleaning it with 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium.
Was changes under warranty.

Last week, I noticed the same thing in the passenger site and in the steering wheel. This is the soft black plastic covering some areas.

My questions is... is peeling due to the cleaner or delicate plastic? I know there have been reports of this peeling. What I don't know if the new plastics they are installing are more durable as if this is not the case, I would start using some other thing to clean the plastics.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
supahdave
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 335i Sedan

I use the 1Z cockpit as well. I have slight peeling on my drivers side switches, but its from my fingernails.

I have 0 peeling on passenger side, and i use 1z on that side also.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I've been using it on an LR3 for 5 years. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

The Einszett 1Z Cockpit Premium should be fine to use on virtually all plastics as that is the material this product was designed to treat. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

The "soft touch" coatings that many European manufacturers use is easily peeled by oils, sunscreen, bug repellant, makeup and so forth. While the coating itself won't be affected, it will peel easily once a fingernail scratches the surface.

I generally clean the interior with a damp microfiber only and have yet to have any peeling interior bit in more than 10 years of owning Euro cars with soft touch - including two 2002 Audi's that peeled if you just looked at it hard.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

cockpit will not cause pre mature wear.

from what we have seen at the shop and with my own BMW's I have seen the heavier used areas like the window controls and the driver's side left bolster seem to wear out quite a bit quicker than other cars.

we have a BMW M3 in the shop with 6k miles and the wear on the driver's side bolster wear is a lot more than expected. (this is also from a customer who is OCD about his seats)
Appreciate 0