E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Mirror Finish Method?

10-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
TreeThirtyFive
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Mirror Finish Method?

I am browsing for a local detailer and I found this website of a family owned detailing company that offer a package called "ming mirror finish" which advertises no further need for wax in the future. I guess I'll let them tell the story...

ELIMINATES WAXING
LONG LASTING SHINE
EASIER TO CLEAN
NO SPECIAL MAINTENANCE
NO RE-PROCESSING EVERY 6 MONTHS
PROTECTS PAINT AGAINST ELEMENTS
RESTORES GLOSS TO OLDER VEHICLES
INCREASE RESALE VALUE
WRITTEN THREE YEAR WARRANTY ON NEW VEHICLES

All vehicles, whether factory painted, or painted at the local paint and body shop, are spray painted. This method of application causes the paint to hit the metal surfaces and dry in hills and valleys - creating a microscopic porous surface. The Mirror Finish is a natural paint finishing process, not a chemical coating or wax, that causes the paint to smooth out, reflow and seal itself. The result is a glass-like, reflecting shine that will never need waxing on a new vehicle.

The Mirror finish begins with a thorough hand wash (or pre-wash) of the vehicle to remove bird droppings, dirt, tar and road contaminants so that the surface of the vehicle is as clean as possible before certified technicians begin the Mirror process. Step one in the process cleans out the paint's microscopic pores of embedded dirt, grime and residue wax. This cleaning procedure is achieved with the use of select chemicals, wool bonnets and special buffing techniques to the exterior painted surfaces

The second step in the Mirror process, again using specialized buffing bonnets and techniques, heats the paint causing the surface layer to reflow and seal itself, producing the unique finish that leaves no residue or coating to wear off. A second hand wash (or post-wash) is done to the vehicle to remove chemical spin-off from the tires, wheel wells, crevices, windshields, vinyl top and door jams. Next, exterior detailing which includes shampooing of the floor mats, vacuuming the carpets, cleaning the glass inside and out, emptying the ashtrays, polishing the chrome and using a silicone protective dressing on the tires and bumpers to maintain their shiny appearance is completed.,
Step three, final inspection of the vehicle, ensures that all phases of the Mirror process have been correctly completed by the certified technicians and that the vehicle is ready for delivery to its owner, with a shine that will last - GUARANTEED

So is this to be trusted?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
2011328xi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Xdrive

This cleaning procedure is achieved with the use of select chemicals, wool bonnets and special buffing techniques to the exterior painted surfaces

The second step in the Mirror process, again using specialized buffing bonnets and techniques, heats the paint causing the surface layer to reflow and seal itself, producing the unique finish that leaves no residue or coating to wear off.

This sounds like a recipe to truely F up your paint. I have never heard of such a "process" and can't imagine that it would do even close to what they claim.

Buff it with a process that heats the paint causing it to reflow ?????? Not on my car. I would stay far away from this place.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Nope! go with a true detail company
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Ming is actually the butt of a running joke within the detail community. Absolute garbage, just like the Car and Driver article that stated similar nonsense about "melting and reflowing" the clearcoat to smooth out scratches. Once applied to a car, paint won't melt and smooth itself out. You can BURN it through incorrect polishing, but otherwise it's on there for good. Any true polish uses abrasives to level the finish.

I don't know who originally started this goofy idea, but it refuses to die.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

do yourself a favor, hit up http://detailwerkz.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeThirtyFive View Post
Not at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
TreeThirtyFive
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

thanks for the advice guys, looked around further and decided on Concours Auto Salon based on the reviews on the detailing forums. Pricey but I'm sure they'll do an excellent job. $600 bucks for tint and detail
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeThirtyFive View Post
.....GUARANTEED

Absolutely. Trusted to completely screw up your paint, requiring either lots of work to fix or a full respray.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
edwinbong
Rep
Drives: SC

There's a sucker born every minute, to think how many people may fall into this trap...
Appreciate 0