E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Review: CP-E Catless Downpipes

10-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Review: CP-E Catless Downpipes

First off, i wanna thank Terry for answering all my questions so fast and helping through this process and all my questions during and after the install; and of course fast shipping. Even after being a customer of his since 07 he never seems to stop amazing me with his customer service and i just feel so comfortable always buying quality parts from him. So thanks again T.

Im a big research guy, so when i knew i was gonna go the Catless DP route i knew i had some research to dig into. After many PM's, and reading thru so many threads and more my own research i ended up with the CP-E catless DP's.
There DP's have gotten great reviews from the N54 world, via quality, fitment and performance. And CP-E has been known to be a great company to deal with with quality parts in the aftermarket world, with some of the best equipment in the market.

Onto the catless CP-E DP's. To start off, what set these pipes off and make them different then any other on the market is the stainless bellmouth castings on the DP's. Not only do they looks amazing and built amazingly clean but they are functional. "The thick-wall castings help retain exhaust energy as well as prevent cracking from the thousands of thermal cycles daily driven vehicles endure." I really liked this because by the turbo it gets really hot and i know i drive hard and i want those DP to be able to handle that heat and not prematurly wear out. The stainless bellmouth casting is a full 3" and then goes into a 2.5" (i believe) heavy gauge American-made 304-stainless steel.

The quality of the stainless steel pipe, the stainless bellmouth casting, and welds are just AMAZING. Couldnt ask for better. Its a shame you cant see these once they are in the car because visually these are honestly the best looking, and coolest looking downpipes on the market. The welds are just great!
The pictures dont do it justic.

As for the install. The fitment was 110% perfect! i didnt run into not one issue with the install. And this was the first time doing a DP install and on my own with my father. We were REALLY impressed with the fitment.
Installing them is not a easy task, took me about 2 hours and a half. I am very anal, so i love double checking and looking over everything aswell. Its jsut very time consuming just getting access and room to the DP's themselves.

Onto performance and sound.
The sound of the car during idle and crusing has stayed exactly the same! There is no more noise then with the stock DP's and no more or less drone.
But once you got WOT, the sound has increased about 25% if not more. But i really like the agressive sound it has given the N54!
Performance wise, there is no more lag! its just instant get up and go, and this once you drive the car, you learn to really appreciate this no lag since it sounds like no big deal since the N54 has so little to start with but this is a really nice thing to have.
Power?r:r: And that honestly how my car looked when i went WOT at 40mph after the install. The response, the overall increase in power is GREAT!

Everyone has there own opinions but i def feel like there is a whole bunch of power i just got off these DP, that i can actually FEEL! and is not just in my head.
I still wanna drive it a few more days since impression can change, i want more seat time. But this is my first day look on them, take it for what its worth.
And im not a type of person to just throw out wow this product gives great power and i really can barely feel anything so.

FWIW, these pics are off my Blackberry phone.

Last edited by 5soko; 10-23-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Nice review, but you should change your title to CP - E catless downpipes.

CPE also has an exhaust
      10-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Nice review, but you should change your title to CP - E catless downpipes.

CPE also has an exhaust
+1
      10-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks. LOL yea changed that not sure why i wrote exhaust, was typing it up sorta quickly.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Topless///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt, 94 probe gt

Nice man! Great review and respect for doing the install yourself...I've done it on jackstands and ramps and it ain't fun especailly since I had bad fitment. Hoping the second time around they fit.

So do did you notice a difference in cabin interior noise through the firewall/footwell area with the CP-Es?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Honestly, nothing at all.
Just going around town and on the highway, i cant even tell a difference. The turbos are a little louder, they whistle more now which is cool when you get on boost.
But for sure no more cabin noise and nothing coming from the firewall/footwell area, 100%
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50