E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Exhaust/Tailpipe question

10-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Exhaust/Tailpipe question

Figured you guys would know considering many of you have aftermarket exhaust.

Having a cat-back stainless steel exhaust installed which will have 70mm tubing running to the muffler that will have a 3" in/out. I am trying to figure out what's the best diameter tailpipe coming off that 3" muffler output. Was looking to do either a 3" or 3 1/2" round pipe (no quads) either of which I think would better fill the bumper cut-out, 3 1/2" obviously filling it out the most.

My question is, in your experience how much does the diameter of the actual tailpipe affect the exhaust note if at all? I am shooting for an exhaust sound that will be deep/throaty at the higher RPM range as opposed to a fart-can/tin sound.

Any input is much appreciated.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Whatever you get really won't help the farting sound as most will have it unless you weld into the midpipes resonators. Resonators eliminates the raspy farting sounds dramatically
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
medvec04
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 silver 335i sedan

the size of the tips is not going to effect the sound, the sound is produced by the mufflers/exhaust. you could always remove the 2ndary cats and resonator if you wanted to make your car louder, but it will make your car raspy. there are videos on youtube that you can watch to hear how it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medvec04 View Post
the size of the tips is not going to effect the sound, the sound is produced by the mufflers/exhaust. you could always remove the 2ndary cats and resonator if you wanted to make your car louder, but it will make your car raspy. there are videos on youtube that you can watch to hear how it sounds.
Not to many for the diesel.

Given the emissions system found on the d, removing the cat, dpf is not an option until a reflash is available. In which case I am stuck with a cat back system. Generally our exhaust note is MUCH quiter than the 335i, almost non existent in fact. So I am hoping to find a way to improve the note.

Perhaps a larger diameter pipe (3") from the cat to a resonator instead of a muffler will do the trick?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Not to many for the diesel.

Given the emissions system found on the d, removing the cat, dpf is not an option until a reflash is available. In which case I am stuck with a cat back system. Generally our exhaust note is MUCH quiter than the 335i, almost non existent in fact. So I am hoping to find a way to improve the note.

Perhaps a larger diameter pipe (3") from the cat to a resonator instead of a muffler will do the trick?
Not entirely sure if I followed you, but check out this guys Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Dieseltok, seems he left the dpf at home.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post
Not entirely sure if I followed you, but check out this guys Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Dieseltok, seems he left the dpf at home.
Haven't seen that one. That d sounds pretty knarly, a little smoky but knarly! now if I could only harness that sound with a cat back system. Hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
ModBargains III
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i

I'd probably suggest going around youtube and listening to what is available out there if I'm honest. That way you can get a good feel for what is available on the market and what you think sounds the best.