ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
greatgrandma70
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

New to forum grooming and key ?

Hello. I'm new to forum - of course - took awhile to find where to write something. I'm in northern MD. Just bought '03 Z4 for my 70th birthday 'crisis' 36 thou odomitor. Today was beautiful. Took 'fur-baby' for ride in her car seat. She didn't like breeze blowing her fur, but I sure love it blowing thru my hair
Have couple questions for suggestions
*how to keep black top looking new
*leather is worn black off - what 'dye' would be best to 'renew' color?
*dealer gave a key that mechanically does not work and 'fussing' about getting me replacement. Also fussing I'd like at least a Valet key for an extra. Anyone know reasonable way to get a working key or valet key if dealer doesn't come thru?
I get lots of compliments on this car and quite a change from my little Honda. I LOVE driving this Z4!
Hope to get better at manuvering this forum for I sure need to learn allot from everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgrandma70 View Post
Hello. I'm new to forum - of course - took awhile to find where to write something. I'm in northern MD. Just bought '03 Z4 for my 70th birthday 'crisis' 36 thou odomitor. Today was beautiful. Took 'fur-baby' for ride in her car seat. She didn't like breeze blowing her fur, but I sure love it blowing thru my hair
Have couple questions for suggestions
*how to keep black top looking new
*leather is worn black off - what 'dye' would be best to 'renew' color?
*dealer gave a key that mechanically does not work and 'fussing' about getting me replacement. Also fussing I'd like at least a Valet key for an extra. Anyone know reasonable way to get a working key or valet key if dealer doesn't come thru?
I get lots of compliments on this car and quite a change from my little Honda. I LOVE driving this Z4!
Hope to get better at maneuvering this forum for I sure need to learn allot from everyone.
Congratulations on your new car! Enjoy!
  • Someone with a ragtop will need to chime in on keeping it new.
  • Leatherique is highly recommended for leather care when the leather needs some love. Take a look at this thread. I'm not an expert with "dying" leather either--others here may be--let's see what they have to say.
  • If you bought the car from the dealer and the "due bill" specifies a key (or keys) then the dealer is on the hook to provide a working key. Keep on them, dealers are slippery fish. Even if they're fussing, and even if you don't have a due bill, pull out the grandma card and use it on them! (Seriously, I'm all for using whatever works with dealers... ) Persistence, patience, and politeness are a winning combo in many cases.
  • Keys are both mechanical and electronic, and a new key needs to be added to the car. Dealer should do that too.
  • A valet key isn't as expensive as a regular key (regular key, if I recall correctly is about 250).
  • Honestly, I'd keep the car away from valets--those guys just love to trash nice cars.
  • As for maneuvering the forum, the "search" function is a great tool. Use the "search" button on the nav bar and select "advanced". That will take you to this screen. Type in the terms (like "programming key"), select BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe (in search in forums), hit search now. You can also select to view results as threads or individual posts in the advanced search. It's a great tool!
  • Try posting general questions like this in the general forum. Regional forums are less visited, and you thread isn't as likely to be picked up here. The forum also has different sections for electronics, engine, brakes, wheels, etc. This thread is a perfect example of what would go in the general forum though.
Appreciate 0