E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Want to buy 335i. Have questions

05-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Wicked_SVT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Want to buy 335i. Have questions

I am new to the BMW community so I have some questions. I currently own a 2001 SVT Cobra supercharged. I have owned mustangs for the last 8 years but have now become tired of the poor quality. I am now looking for something more refined and will not be as troublesome when modded. I want to sell my Cobra and possibly get into the 335i. So now for my questions.

1. What is the going out the door price for the 335i?

2. Is there any room for negotiation with the BMW dealers to get pricing under MSRP or discounts on the options?

3. Has anyone had any warranty issues when using the PROcede tuner?

Thats pretty much it. As soon as I can sell my Cobra I will be looking to purchase. Thanks in advance.

2001 SVT Cobra Vortech Supercharged 450rwhp 408rwtq SAE SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Base prices of the 335i/xi range anywhere from 40-50k. It all depends on the options. If you go to bmwusa.com you can create your own and that will give you a pretty good idea of what the dealers will charge for similarly equipped 335's.

I was able to talk down the price of my 335xi about $1500 and have floor mats thrown in ($125) and half of the cost for the iPod adapter ($300) So saved roughly $2000. Out the door price was 48.9k after that. All options included except for the $2100 sports package.

So there is room for some negotiation, this is my second BMW and each experience has basically told me that they won't give you much off the car, i've seen friends get more off of VW's and Toyota's than I have off a BMW. Even so, $2000 off isn't bad.

I have no experience with Procede - but if you search on this forum you may find that there is some debate as to whether Procede causes warranty issues. From what i've read it seems that it is likely it will be a problem should the dealer find out. You want something that isn't troublesome when modded, long term effects of Procede on the motor aren't known right now. Increased pressure in a turbo charged engine increases stress ...I know this all too well in aviation.

Since you've driven a Ford for as many years, i'd really like to see a write up on your impressions of the 335 should you buy one. I'd be interested the power difference your butt dyno would feel between the two...i'd imagine your Ford is very fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I haven't shopped since Oct., but after my test drive the CA told me "list price." I believed her because I said how about $500 off, and she said no. Thanks to edmunds.com, on Mon. we agreed to $1700 off. Edmunds is a great resource, I hate to advertise for them but it works.

Mats are a given, I overlooked them and when I asked, the dealer said of course they are free, your choice, winter or carpeted. Do not consider them to be worth $129, they are worth $0 as far as I'm concerned. They are garbage, and mine are still in the box, that's how cheesy they are. My Nissan came with plusher carpeted mats that do not slide, and have a grommet that holds it in place. BMW has none of this. Definitely do not fall for any accessories thrown in, the name of the game is $$$ off list. To me, invoice is a moving target with the training and MACO so to nix the two, I prefer to talk about list. Lease and trade once again skews the numbers, so negotiate as a cash buyer (you can do those blank check loans, but I think credit unions can smoke their rates handily).

Don't know anything about the procede, I find bone stock is plenty of punch for me. What I find the most amazing about the car is the steering--just cannot find this kind of feel in a steering wheel anywhere imho. Even the 750 and 650 that I drove on Sun. didn't feel as sweet as the E92.....good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

1) Depends what options you get
2) Yes
3) Piggybacks / xedes + warranty =
      05-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Wicked_SVT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post
Base prices of the 335i/xi range anywhere from 40-50k. It all depends on the options. If you go to bmwusa.com you can create your own and that will give you a pretty good idea of what the dealers will charge for similarly equipped 335's.

I was able to talk down the price of my 335xi about $1500 and have floor mats thrown in ($125) and half of the cost for the iPod adapter ($300) So saved roughly $2000. Out the door price was 48.9k after that. All options included except for the $2100 sports package.

So there is room for some negotiation, this is my second BMW and each experience has basically told me that they won't give you much off the car, i've seen friends get more off of VW's and Toyota's than I have off a BMW. Even so, $2000 off isn't bad.

I have no experience with Procede - but if you search on this forum you may find that there is some debate as to whether Procede causes warranty issues. From what i've read it seems that it is likely it will be a problem should the dealer find out. You want something that isn't troublesome when modded, long term effects of Procede on the motor aren't known right now. Increased pressure in a turbo charged engine increases stress ...I know this all too well in aviation.

Since you've driven a Ford for as many years, i'd really like to see a write up on your impressions of the 335 should you buy one. I'd be interested the power difference your butt dyno would feel between the two...i'd imagine your Ford is very fast.
I will be going to the dealer this weekend to get pricing and option ideas. If they have one available for a test drive I will let you know what my impressions are compared to my Cobra. Thanks again for the input.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
look into european delivery too. more room for negotiation and a great trip
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
imsambeen
Black-Ops: Splinter Cell
United_States
Rep
Drives: The first Vishnu 335

I had a 1997 SVT Cobra, Modded almost everything except supercharging it.
Of course I have owned 3 cars since then, but It was a very fun car.
You are definitely right about it not being refined. Though my old Cobra was faster straightline, the 335 w/procede overall fit/finish/driving takes the cake.
Just remove the procede when you bring it into the dealer.
      05-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_SVT View Post
I am new to the BMW community so I have some questions. I currently own a 2001 SVT Cobra supercharged. I have owned mustangs for the last 8 years but have now become tired of the poor quality. I am now looking for something more refined and will not be as troublesome when modded. I want to sell my Cobra and possibly get into the 335i. So now for my questions.

I think it really also depends on what area you live in. Seeing how you're in SD, you might be hard pressed finding a good deal without the "socal" attitude about BMW's. I would think about getting a test drive at a dealer near you and try to negotiate numbers. If not, try the internet sales approach.

2. Is there any room for negotiation with the BMW dealers to get pricing under MSRP or discounts on the options?
See answer above

You could for it. There's been plenty of posts regarding this. I think to avoid any hassle, remove it when taking it in for anything other than interval servicing.

Thats pretty much it. As soon as I can sell my Cobra I will be looking to purchase. Thanks in advance.
And last but not least...welcome to the family
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Chi-town330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Which E9x?

price negotations depend on body style, due to timing of releases. Sedans have been out for 2 years, for example, lots of wiggle room.

I could assume you are looking at an E92, but maybe I shouldn't assume. Help us understand what you are looking at, so the specific applicable data can be given. Also, many folks have posted negotiated prices on here, so search away, you can find much data in the past month.

HERS: E46 325CiC – 02 | Steel Blue Metallic | Blue Top | Gray Dakota | PP | CW | Step
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Wicked_SVT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town330 View Post
Which E9x?

price negotations depend on body style, due to timing of releases. Sedans have been out for 2 years, for example, lots of wiggle room.

I could assume you are looking at an E92, but maybe I shouldn't assume. Help us understand what you are looking at, so the specific applicable data can be given. Also, many folks have posted negotiated prices on here, so search away, you can find much data in the past month.
I am looking at the E92 (I believe thats the coupe?). At a minimum I am looking to get a 335i coupe TiAg with the Sports Package. I may see if I can add the Aero front lip as well. Sorry for the newb questions. I have been driving mustangs for the last 8 years and BMW is totally new to me. Thanks again for the help guys.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

If I'm not mistaken, E92 is the new 328/335 coupe and sedan series. You'll want an E92 335i Coupe.

What you want to do is go online and contact a couple dealerships online and send them your custom build for them to do pricing on. Go to the BMWUSA.com website, chose the 335i, and then on the menu select build your own. Put those custom features in your e-mail to the dealerships. If you're just going to do a regular order and not European Delivery, you're going to have very little luck in getting any money off the car.

European Delivery gives you factory pricing (-$2855) and usually they'll knock off a lot more too. Problem is, you have to fly to Munich, Germany to do it all. You could stay 1 day and just directly drop it off at their dropoff and have it shipped here (shipping price always included in sale) then fly back. BMW has a 2 for 1 airfare deal with Lufthansa.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Chi-town330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
If I'm not mistaken, E92 is the new 328/335 coupe and sedan series. You'll want an E92 335i Coupe.
you are.....E90 is sedan, E92 is coupe. both come in 328 and 335 configurations for 2007. i.e., E92 is not "c0upe and sedan series".

BZS, look for other other recent threads on here, and Bimmerfest.com, a number of folks have quoted the amount off list they recently got. I wouldn't go back too far, as the coupe only came out last fall so if you go a few months back, people were paying close to list.

Doesn't matter if they had a few more options if you look at it from a $ off list (or $ above invoice) perspective, and that is why many folks quote on here. I always negotiate in terms of dollars off list or dollars above invoice.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

Thanks for clearing that up, was kinda wondering myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Good luck with your purchase!
      05-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
fobunited
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2011 550i

I got my 335i for $500 above invoice. Options include: navigation, heated seats, sport package, automatic transmission, paddle shifters, and premium package. Includes all weather floor mats and ipod adapter. Purchased extended warranty and maintenance. Out the door, including tax, reg, and extended warranty came out to $52,000 even.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
Wicked_SVT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I just got back from the BMW dealer. Here in San Diego they are not budging on anything. They are asking 45,600 and 49,700 out the door for the 335i coupe with SP and PP. They didn't have any coupes to take for a test drive so I took an auto sedan out. I must say after diving my Cobra for me it wasn't a rocket like some say but was definatley smooth. It accelerated nicley. It doesn't feel like you are going very fast until you look down at the speedometer. At one point I was at 120mph and didn't even realize it. I am not sure how much different it would feel in the coupe 6MT. As soon as I can sell my Cobra I will be ordering one. I believe they told me it would take about 3 months. Thanks again for all the help and look forward to chatting with all of you once the car arrives.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #17
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Well I just got back from the BMW dealer. Here in San Diego they are not budging on anything. They are asking 45,600 and 49,700 out the door for the 335i coupe with SP and PP. They didn't have any coupes to take for a test drive so I took an auto sedan out. I must say after diving my Cobra for me it wasn't a rocket like some say but was definatley smooth. It accelerated nicley. It doesn't feel like you are going very fast until you look down at the speedometer. At one point I was at 120mph and didn't even realize it. I am not sure how much different it would feel in the coupe 6MT. As soon as I can sell my Cobra I will be ordering one. I believe they told me it would take about 3 months. Thanks again for all the help and look forward to chatting with all of you once the car arrives.
Why not do ED delivery? You can get a coupe for $600 over invoice and take a little trip while saving a few bucks.
      05-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #18
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:

let me start off by congratulating you on ditching your Ford. The 335i will NOT disappoint. For the price negotiation, the best deal is truly dependent on your dealer and how much of a dick he is. For the Procede, I would wait because apparently BMW is coming out with an ECU reflash. And this will apparently bump up the HP and the TQ. Not anywhere near Procede numbers of course, but its worth the wait to see what happens. Then again, by the time you get your car, assuming you custom pick options, it will be another 5 months down the road. By this time, the ECu flash should be in your car.
      05-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #19
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:

39000 BASELINE

I SUGGEST TO GET EUROPEAN VERSION.. CAUSE U GET CLEAR CORNER HEADLAMP. INSTEAD EMMBER CORNER LIGHT

NO WARRENTY ISSUE IF U DONT LET THE DEALER KNOW ABOUT IT

I SUGGEST PICK EUROPEAN VERSION...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #20
Wicked_SVT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
Why not do ED delivery? You can get a coupe for $600 over invoice and take a little trip while saving a few bucks.
Unfortunatley with work and a newborn baby the ED is not an option for me.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #21
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well I just got back from the BMW dealer. Here in San Diego they are not budging on anything. They are asking 45,600 and 49,700 out the door for the 335i coupe with SP and PP. They didn't have any coupes to take for a test drive so I took an auto sedan out.
well now that youre sure youre gonna order one, just email all the dealers from a radius at which you would realistically buy. by now you have all the tools you need... invoice price, money factors, deals other people have been getting. just work the dealers and you will find what youre looking for. i think 1k over invoice is a good deal for ED and i say 1500 over invoice plus legit fees (maco, etc) would be a good deal
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 07:52 AM   #22
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Very nice It is a very nice car, regardless of being slower than the souped up Cobra. Are you sure you didn't try the DS (Driver Sport) mode with the auto? Regular D (Drive) mode is for economy and it shifts much sooner and slower than the DS. Maybe you did, just curious...my first thoughts in DS mode are... holy **** this thing moves. Then ...I didn't drive a cobra, but I did drive an 02' vette

Congrats on the choice, you won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0