E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ideas and Thoughts on Polish for an AW 335?

10-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
Talking Ideas and Thoughts on Polish for an AW 335?

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my Arsenal of products for my e92 and wanted to see what everyone's input would be. So far the finish in very good condition with only a handful of small waterspots and very very minor swirl marking. I'm trying to at as dimension to the AW as I can. Being my first white vehicle I'm learning that it is more difficult to make it pop (especially coming from WRB).

From searching, this is what I have in mind so far.

Strip:
Diluted Total Auto Wash?
Dawn Dish Soap?

Cleaning:
Meg Clay Bar (White) + Quickdetailer

Polish:
UNDECIDED
White Pad

Finishing Polish:
UNDECIDED
Gray Pad

Glaze:
Poorboy's White Diamond?
Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze?
Blue Pad

Sealant:
1Z Glanz Wax?
Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal?
Red Pad?

Wax:
P21S Concours
Red Pad

I also have some P21S Paintwork Cleanser, any recommendations on use?

Looking forward to hearing from the experts!
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

One thing to note about AW (I have a AW e90) is that sometimes it can be difficult to see the swirls, also the clear coat is fairly hard. I'm more of a "hobbyist." I tend to like to try out a lot of different combinations and techniques, here is what I tend to use:

Strip:
CG Citrus Wash and Gloss, or CG Citrus Wash diluted to strip. Stay away from Dawn.

Clay:
run of the mill Blue clay from either DI or CG, with CG luber.

Polish:
Here is where some experts can chime in. I had some moderately bad swirls on my hood, roof, and trunk. It took a bit to get them all out, the hood was the worst.

i've used M105 on Orange and Surburf, and D300 on Meg's MF Cutting Pad. The D300 combo was enough to get out the roof and trunk, It took M105 on orange and Surburf to completely get rid of everything on the hood.

Finishing Polish:
I've done M205 on White and D301 on the finishing pad. The D300 and D301 combo came out really nice, topped with CG 50/50.
*I recently picked up Menzerna Micro Finish to use as a last step polish, I plan to test it out soon

Glaze:
I've done CG EZ Creme on a black pad, came out nice. I'll probably use it on a blue pad when using it after Micro Finish.

Sealent:
I've only ever Used Jetseal109 on a blue pad, again came out fairly nice, Eventually I want to try BFWD.

Wax:
CG 50/50
Dodo Juice Light Fantastic.
I also have DJ rainforest rub that I want to test out.

In the end both CG 50/50 and Light Fantastic look good, however I wasn't as happy with Light Fantastic as I was with CG, but light fantastic was used in a "strip - clay - wax" deal. I try to wash my car weekly with MaxiSudds II in a foam gun then CG Glossworkz, or DJ born to by mild or sour power 2 bucket, then CG Spray and wipe as a QD, the car stays looking pretty good with a nice gloss this way until the next wax.

In short a nice 2 (or 3) step polish with glaze, sealant, and wax REALLY makes AW pop.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post
One thing to note about AW (I have a AW e90) is that sometimes it can be difficult to see the swirls, also the clear coat is fairly hard. I'm more of a "hobbyist." I tend to like to try out a lot of different combinations and techniques, here is what I tend to use:

Strip:
CG Citrus Wash and Gloss, or CG Citrus Wash diluted to strip. Stay away from Dawn.

Clay:
run of the mill Blue clay from either DI or CG, with CG luber.

Polish:
Here is where some experts can chime in. I had some moderately bad swirls on my hood, roof, and trunk. It took a bit to get them all out, the hood was the worst.

i've used M105 on Orange and Surburf, and D300 on Meg's MF Cutting Pad. The D300 combo was enough to get out the roof and trunk, It took M105 on orange and Surburf to completely get rid of everything on the hood.

Finishing Polish:
I've done M205 on White and D301 on the finishing pad. The D300 and D301 combo came out really nice, topped with CG 50/50.
*I recently picked up Menzerna Micro Finish to use as a last step polish, I plan to test it out soon

Glaze:
I've done CG EZ Creme on a black pad, came out nice. I'll probably use it on a blue pad when using it after Micro Finish.

Sealent:
I've only ever Used Jetseal109 on a blue pad, again came out fairly nice, Eventually I want to try BFWD.

Wax:
CG 50/50
Dodo Juice Light Fantastic.
I also have DJ rainforest rub that I want to test out.

In the end both CG 50/50 and Light Fantastic look good, however I wasn't as happy with Light Fantastic as I was with CG, but light fantastic was used in a "strip - clay - wax" deal. I try to wash my car weekly with MaxiSudds II in a foam gun then CG Glossworkz, or DJ born to by mild or sour power 2 bucket, then CG Spray and wipe as a QD, the car stays looking pretty good with a nice gloss this way until the next wax. Too many options here, and are unnessary

In short a nice 2 (or 3) step polish with glaze, sealant, and wax REALLY makes AW pop.
AW white will not pop like a black red blue...stop trying. You will get somewhat, but I doubt what you are expecting. All my AW BMWS I do get 105, powerfinish, 85rd, ezcg, bfwd...always a solid combo on any color. You can spend lots of money chasing better looks, but fact of the matter is, its not really in the product as much as it is in the color
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
AW white will not pop like a black red blue...stop trying. You will get somewhat, but I doubt what you are expecting. All my AW BMWS I do get 105, powerfinish, 85rd, ezcg, bfwd...always a solid combo on any color. You can spend lots of money chasing better looks, but fact of the matter is, its not really in the product as much as it is in the color
I probably should have clarified "REALLY makes AW pop" to mean "pop" for AW, not pop compared to black/red/blue like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

What's the difference between a glaze and a sealant?
Should you use glaze prior to applying a sealant?