E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Newbie Question: Is this an okay simple two-step cleaning?

10-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
RicheyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [8.34]
Newbie Question: Is this an okay simple two-step cleaning?

Basically, I'm a simple guy, I figured I just want to wash the car with a high quality product and then also use a wax/sealant to protect the paint. Is there suppose to be a step in between, before, or after that is mandatory? Can I just wash the car then put on a sealant as a quick two step process?

I'm thinking of using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds as a shampoo and BlackFire Wet Diamond as a wax/sealant right after. Would this be safe? Is there something I MUST apply before applying the BFWD?

Also, in terms of cleaning wheels/rims. What is the best product? I heard Sonax is great but would it be safe to use on expensive rims?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 (his) 2011 e90 (hers)

claybar!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

I guarantee some will disagree with me, but yes, you can absolutely do a good wash and then apply sealant. This is a detailing section so many of us like to do every step to make our paint perfect but your car will still look good with a good wash and seal.

Yes you could clay, but there might be some clay marring, so then you'd need to polish as well and that starts going down a longer path which it looks like you're trying to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Yeah I think that's fine too. I tend to like waxing monthly and clay and polish every six months or so. Maybe not ideal but not horrible either.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyBMW View Post
Basically, I'm a simple guy, I figured I just want to wash the car with a high quality product and then also use a wax/sealant to protect the paint. Is there suppose to be a step in between, before, or after that is mandatory? Can I just wash the car then put on a sealant as a quick two step process?

I'm thinking of using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds as a shampoo and BlackFire Wet Diamond as a wax/sealant right after. Would this be safe? Is there something I MUST apply before applying the BFWD?

Also, in terms of cleaning wheels/rims. What is the best product? I heard Sonax is great but would it be safe to use on expensive rims?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
I guarantee some will disagree with me, but yes, you can absolutely do a good wash and then apply sealant. This is a detailing section so many of us like to do every step to make our paint perfect but your car will still look good with a good wash and seal.

Yes you could clay, but there might be some clay marring, so then you'd need to polish as well and that starts going down a longer path which it looks like you're trying to avoid.
This. I detailed my cars this past weekend without claying or polishing. FWIW, my cars were somewhat clean, garage kept, and I don't live in an area with a lot of contamination so you have to take that into consideration.

I don't know if it's a "must" before applying BFWD, but applying CG EZ-Creme Glaze makes it pop more IMO and it's quite popular with people who use BFWD as a sealant.

Sonax is (hands down?) the best wheel cleaner.
Appreciate 0