E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328 sedan review + questions

05-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

328 sedan review + questions

I am driving it for almost a week now and wanted to express my feelings on the new ride.
To clarify, it's a base model with automatic transmission.

I definitely love the interior - very practical, exactly what it should be. No distractions and yet it's all right there for you.

Suprisingly there is lots of space - even the back seat feels roomy. Some-how during my visits to delaerships it always felt smaller. Go figure...

Power - I test drove 323 (174 and 200hp) as well as 328 coupe in the past. Not sure if it's just break-in thing or not, but the the car feels extremely slow at launch, almost as if the hand brake is on. Kind of feeling I had on 323 with 174hp. When I switch to DS it feels much quicker, but it was different during my 328 coupe test drive, although it had 5000km on it.
For example, I had to really push the gas pedal hard today just to keep up with normally accelerating MDX moving from the traffic light... Is this normal?
Once again, not sure if after break-in period it will improve.
There is no problem once the car gets going, just the right amount of torque being passed to the wheels.

Handling - car feels expremely solid. Did not have a chance to push it as hard as I like though, only couple of hard turns for now.

Tires - what the hell??? RFT's are bad, bad, bad. Got famous Turanzas. I was thinking of keeping them for a year, but I might have to switch them sooner then that. I already have a rattling noice coming from plastic cover under the passenger seat, not too happy with that. I am thinking if taping it to the metal piece...

Stereo - standard set works good enough for my test. Obviously there is a roo for improvement. Not some-thing I would spend extra cash on.

There is a weird sound coming from key hole when it's empty. I think it's trying to grab the key even though it's not there. Have any-one heard that?

I am planning on taking a long drive this weekend and also taking few pics. Monaco blue is great, I just love that color on a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

hi, great write up, i have a 328i too and i agree with you totally, the room, practicality, handling, tires. However i dont have the key hole noise or the rattling from the pass.seat. If i may ask Where was your e90 made? Not that it makes a difference just wondering cause nobody in the US on this post has a 328i sedan made in South Africa i think.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

o yea, and another thing, i have this kinda clawing ish noise coming from the gauge area after i am in the car for a while not starting or putting in the key, just sit in your car after /before you drive it for like 3 mins. Does anyone have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Not sure if it's just break-in thing or not, but the the car feels extremely slow at launch, almost as if the hand brake is on. Kind of feeling I had on 323 with 174hp. When I switch to DS it feels much quicker, but it was different during my 328 coupe test drive, although it had 5000km on it.
For example, I had to really push the gas pedal hard today just to keep up with normally accelerating MDX moving from the traffic light... Is this normal?
Yeah it's normal. Need to beat the crap out of the pedal to get it started then need to lift or you'll be going way too fast for traffic. The exact opposite of my mom's X5 (old version) that has the twitchiest pedal I've ever seen. Barely touch it and it goes VROOOM. Throws you back in the seat when you haven't driven it in a while till you get re-acclimated. BMW just needs to find a happy medium.
Quote:
Tires - what the hell??? RFT's are bad, bad, bad. Got famous Turanzas. I was thinking of keeping them for a year, but I might have to switch them sooner then that. I already have a rattling noice coming from plastic cover under the passenger seat, not too happy with that. I am thinking if taping it to the metal piece...
Surprised you've noticed this already. Mine were basically OK for the first 3k miles, but now that I'm getting close to 4k they're making an obscene amount of noise, especially on the highway over 80. I'm going to try and get them replaced with Contis per the TSB when I take it in for a new bumper. (rear ended)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post
o yea, and another thing, i have this kinda clawing ish noise coming from the gauge area after i am in the car for a while not starting or putting in the key, just sit in your car after /before you drive it for like 3 mins. Does anyone have this problem?
It makes some quiet noises, but nothing too loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

The AT in drive mode starts in second gear to save gas, so yeah, it feels like lead at first. If you want snappy acceleration, use the sport mode, then it starts in first gear from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
The AT in drive mode starts in second gear to save gas, so yeah, it feels like lead at first. If you want snappy acceleration, use the sport mode, then it starts in first gear from a stop.
I thought it just shifted really early, not started in 2nd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

No, it actually starts in 2d gear, hence the sluggish feel off the start.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
xpcgamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 Touring

Wait I have felt when I take off really gentle it feels like it hesitates. I thought it was the really early 1 to 2 shift of the tranny? No?

99 528IT,Sport 5Sp,Xenon,Nav,Rear shades
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
mocheen
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Yep, it's true....when you're car is in AT, it starts it off on 2nd gear to conserve fuel thus the sluggish start. If you switch to DS mode, it's quite peppy
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

I really appreciate your responses. It's very important for me to know I am not making stuff out.
The car was built in Germany.
"Need to beat the crap out of the pedal to get it started then need to lift or you'll be going way too fast for traffic." - This is the exactly what it feels like it. I guess it will take time to get used to, not a big deal. My previous car was really jumpy at launches and wife was complaining a LOT. She finds bimmer to be just perfect in that area. Maybe that makes my acceleration concerns bigger then they are
Clawing sounds don't bother me at all, I was trying to determine if it's a normal thing.
RFT's do not make any noice so far, but they do allow vibrations to come into the cabin. It's not terrible by any means, but far from perfect either. RFT's should be optional, whether you put a priority on safety or quality of driving.
I am not sure what to do with the plastic (one that covers seat rails on the external side). I don't want to go to a dealer just for that, on the other hand it does bother me. If I will be able to work around it then I will wait for scheduled maitenance to bring it up.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

I actually tested the manual mode, which is quite nice. But I think DS mode fits my driving habits quite well. Not sure what would be fuel consumption if I just leave DS on permamnent basis.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

DS mode will hold your RPMs a lot higher, more responsive shifts, and will start you off in 1st gear. If you're confident at all, just use the manual mode. I use the manual mode 99.9% of the time now, love it. I can't wait for the new paddles and better AT on my 335i coupe coming in August.

Also, I've always wondered why on the E9x's that when you start off in D on the ATs that it will kick up to about 1500rpm, hesitate, then keep making its way up. It does this on my E90 325i and it's very annoying, but then again, it's only in D mode, which I never use.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #13
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

I am trying to decide what works best for me right now DS or manual. Will see who wins in the end. Mostly probably it will be a mix of all 3.
D - for totally relaxed drive with the family
DS- sporty, but lazy
M - really want to be involved in the process

I totally agree, it's very annoying. I wish BMW had a way of adjusting it. I wonder if some-thing can be done to sort of retune this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
DS mode will hold your RPMs a lot higher, more responsive shifts, and will start you off in 1st gear. If you're confident at all, just use the manual mode. I use the manual mode 99.9% of the time now, love it. I can't wait for the new paddles and better AT on my 335i coupe coming in August.

Also, I've always wondered why on the E9x's that when you start off in D on the ATs that it will kick up to about 1500rpm, hesitate, then keep making its way up. It does this on my E90 325i and it's very annoying, but then again, it's only in D mode, which I never use.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
It sounds like you're talking about the steering wheel lock which, when locking and unlocking the steering, makes the sound you seem to be describing.
      05-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
I have the E92 and I hear the same noise. It's normal...it's just the little mice climbing back into their cage after their time spent running the exercise wheel in our engine.

Quote:

Handling - car feels expremely solid. Did not have a chance to push it as hard as I like though, only couple of hard turns for now.
As all BMWs, the car feels like you're driving on rails. Speaking to my sisiter-in-law last nite she asked if the ride was luxurious, soft. I said quite the contrary..you feel connected to the road and smooth.
Quote:
Tires - what the hell??? RFT's are bad, bad, bad. Got famous Turanzas. I was thinking of keeping them for a year, but I might have to switch them sooner then that.
Upon taking delivery, one of the first things my eyes focused on were the sidewalls. Luckily, I have the Contis. Maybe you can swap out your tires and sell the BStones to some unsuspecting Audi driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #16
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

I wish I could. Maybe the TSB will help, but for now I will enjoy what I got

"Upon taking delivery, one of the first things my eyes focused on were the sidewalls. Luckily, I have the Contis. Maybe you can swap out your tires and sell the BStones to some unsuspecting Audi driver."
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #17
Rando
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Regarding the auto starting in 2 when in D... if you drive very aggressively, it will eventually start in 1. It's got a bunch of programs that it tries to match you into.

But I think it's wiser to keep D conservative and either shift yourself in the manual mode, or use S for more response (if you don't like to shift yourself).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Regarding the auto starting in 2 when in D... if you drive very aggressively, it will eventually start in 1. It's got a bunch of programs that it tries to match you into.

But I think it's wiser to keep D conservative and either shift yourself in the manual mode, or use S for more response (if you don't like to shift yourself).
Correct! Depending on how you drive will determine which gear you start off in. Remember that it has drive by wire system that will "learn" your driving habits. Car acts totally different if I use my wife's key. She's a slower driver
      07-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
calle_enell
Car keeps stalling out...5 times now.
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

How long does this learning period take?
How do I train my car to downshift in DS mode to give me midrange (3,5< RPM) and stay in gear when I push trough a corner?

Right now, it downshifts when I go round a corner in like 10 Mph resulting in major JEERKS and spilled coffee...

But then, when I really want a downshift (while breaking in DS mode) it does not (only downshifts sub ~2,000 RPM) Then again, when I want to stay in gear accellerating trough corners using engine toque/trottle control to support stearing...it JERKS and downshifts causing car to loose track and me to loose some of the feeling. Not happy with this tranny at all...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #20
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
I thought it just shifted really early, not started in 2nd?
Mine starts in 1st even in D. And I don't drive all that aggressive. It just shifts into 2nd really early that you barely notice. I though D started in 2nd before too but found out it didn't. In fact, I have never seen my transmission starting in 2nd with either D/DS mode, except when on slippery surfaces such as ice/snow.

Quote:
hi, great write up, i have a 328i too and i agree with you totally, the room, practicality, handling, tires. However i dont have the key hole noise or the rattling from the pass.seat. If i may ask Where was your e90 made? Not that it makes a difference just wondering cause nobody in the US on this post has a 328i sedan made in South Africa i think.
All Canada bound E90's are manufactured in Munich as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post

With my understanding, the transmission will always start in 1st except if you left it in Manual mode and did not shift back to 1st before you start off your car or when there are slippery surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #21
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
No, it actually starts in 2d gear, hence the sluggish feel off the start.
I never knew that....
      07-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #22
xpcgamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 Touring

Are you really sure? I always thought it started in 2nd. Accelerlate a little hard in D and do the same in DS from a standing start. It will always accelerate harder in DS.

99 528IT,Sport 5Sp,Xenon,Nav,Rear shades
Appreciate 0