E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Spray-Paint: How do you paint-match parts to your car?

10-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I bought a can of Alpine White custom automotive paint to paint the front lip for my car.

I can never paint match perfectly. I have various experiences with spray painting, so spraying technique and smooth finish was never the problem. However, it is always the damn color.

I can never match the factory car color. I know it is nearly impossible to match it with custom spray paint, but I was hoping that it would be at least somewhat close enough that you can't really tell the difference unless up-close. This one I painted, real smooth and nice, but color came out a bit too orange.

Anyone have know-how? Is it because I clear-coat too thick/too many layers?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

why spray paint? Ive never seen spray paint match anywhere close. why not just get it done at a paint shop with automotive paint (seriously asking)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
why spray paint? Ive never seen spray paint match anywhere close. why not just get it done at a paint shop with automotive paint (seriously asking)
Was about to say the same. We drive expensive cars, let a pro do the work right.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
I get your point and it is a valid one. I just enjoy working on my car. Paint obviously is the hardest part, so I usually pay the shop to do it, but with such small parts, I tend to do it myself.

I painted side skirts and front lips before for my previous car. Taffeta White and metallic gunmetal grey color was quite easy to match with paint professionally mixed from a local paint shop. But ever since I got my BMW in AW, I just can't match the color. Something about the damn Alpine White that is so hard to paint-match.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
DontHait
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Quote:
I get your point and it is a valid one. I just enjoy working on my car. Paint obviously is the hardest part, so I usually pay the shop to do it, but with such small parts, I tend to do it myself.

I painted side skirts and front lips before for my previous car. Taffeta White and metallic gunmetal grey color was quite easy to match with paint professionally mixed from a local paint shop. But ever since I got my BMW in AW, I just can't match the color. Something about the damn Alpine White that is so hard to paint-match.
Apparently there are several types off
Alpine white alone, so that adds to the degree of hardness in finding your cars perfect match
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

AAaahhhh the joys of not being able to match paint. Even if the color is perfect, chances are your base is not. This is what most people don't understand with automotive painting; using the proper shade of primer sealer.

Usually there are 10 different shades to a primer-sealer, and matching that PLUS the base coat PLUS clear is what it takes.

If any step is off, so is your color.

You're lucky you don't have to worry about which way the metallic flakes lay down or how much / how small / how large the pearl you use is.

Get all the above correct, and then you have to worry about the amount of orange peel when all is said and done. Too much, it looks horrible and lacks clarity. Too little, you can see it was refinished and doesn't match the rest of the finish.

Pretty easy stuff right?
Appreciate 0