E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > dtc question

05-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
dtc question

when i hit the button and it shows on the display that means its off?

and how much does this really effect performance and acceleration when its on?
thanx

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When you floor the throttle, the DTC will no longer cut power to the engine to minimize tire spin.
      05-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
DanMardik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 INFINITI G37S

This is actually something you can definitely use the button with but I will answer your question regardless.

When you hit the DTC button once, the DTC display should light up on your dash. This means that you should for the most part have to interference on typical slight wheel spin when you're at Launch and at WOT. But at the same time if you were to go sideways or spin the wheels a little excessively, the DTC will still kick in and save your butt for the most part from hitting the curb. (This isn't fool proof btw) Think of it like riding a bicycle with training wheels, it will prevent you from falling over, but you still have to make sure you're not crossing the street without looking at both ends to make sure there are no cars coming.

Now if you were to press and HOLD the DTC button. Another display will pop up indicating that if you lose control of your car now, there's no help and bent wheels and control arms are going to be your gift of the day.
This feature is great if you're doing burn-outs or trying to drift your car. Make sure you use this feature only if you're in an area where you know you're not going to hit something if you loose control of your car.

Hope this helps.
      05-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati955 View Post
when i hit the button and it shows on the display that means its off?

and how much does this really effect performance and acceleration when its on?
thanx
DTC is a sub-program of DSC.

When you hit the DTC button once, it means that DTC is now ACTIVE and DSC is LIMITED.
DTC active will allow for more tire spin/traction but the system will still intervene if there is too much loss of traction.

If you press and hold the DTC button for about 3 seconds, it will disable the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and turn all traction/stability control off.

The steering wheel movement, vehicle speed, transverse acceleration and yaw are all used by DSC to register imminent instability when cornering. DSC then intervenes via the engine management system, reducing drive torque and activating wheel brakes when necessary to keep the vehicle stable. These events occur within milliseconds.

DSC constantly compares vehicle speed, wheel speed, steering angle, and yaw rate with a benchmark of plausible and optimum driving conditions' data. In a fraction of a second, DSC recognizes a threatening instability and a danger of skidding. The DSC system can correct an unstable driving condition by applying precise braking action to the individual wheels. As with ASC, DSC will if necessary also cut back the engine speed to automatically stabilize the vehicle.

The DSC computer constantly calculates an ideal driving condition that is compared with the current status. If the vehicle oversteers or understeers, the calculated ideal deviates from the measured status, and DSC will intervene within a few milliseconds

Hope that helps.
      05-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: aw 330i

quick question, is it better to have dtc on or off when it rains?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
Thats a great question. Being that DSC is still on, your car wont be sliding into walls if you turn off DTC. However, you will get a little slippage and the car could shimmy side to side in situations. Ive experimented with both and feel that this car needs all the stability it can get and I leave it all on when its wet out. Dry, all bets are off.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
bemmin335
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6M/T

Quote:
Depends on your skill and driving ability! if you turn it off...becareful or you could be facing the wrong way in traffic in a split second.

"The Ring"
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
CassiesMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i

Quick question on the E90/2 DSC/DTC. Do you still need to know the secret handshake to turn it off?

E46 Orient Metallic Blue 325i
Mods:
-Carbonio Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake
-Sirius Sportster Radio
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
DanMardik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 INFINITI G37S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan View Post
Quick question on the E90/2 DSC/DTC. Do you still need to know the secret handshake to turn it off?
Fortunately on the 07 models you don't. It's already pre-programmed in there.

Also, I heard that for the older models there is a MOD-CHIP for those who dont know the handshake!

PM ME, i'll hook you up with a great deal
      05-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Thats a great question. Being that DSC is still on, your car wont be sliding into walls if you turn off DTC. However, you will get a little slippage and the car could shimmy side to side in situations. Ive experimented with both and feel that this car needs all the stability it can get and I leave it all on when its wet out. Dry, all bets are off.
So correct me if I'm wrong, what you're saying is that your car (while in the rain) should be ok since DSC is on, but it would be better if you also turn on DTC (by pressing the DTC button once) for maximum stability?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
So correct me if I'm wrong, what you're saying is that your car (while in the rain) should be ok since DSC is on, but it would be better if you also turn on DTC (by pressing the DTC button once) for maximum stability?
no, dont press anything=max stability and almost zero wheel spin, push once=more wheel spin but still DSC operational, push and hold=fully disengaged (ABS and some other aspects cant be fully turned off)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like what the poster said above. Dont press anything and all protection will be activated. If you DO press the DTC button once, youll see it light up on the dash and that means its been turned OFF. If you hold it down longer it will turn BOTH DSC and DTS OFF. Not touching anything is the safest bet when its raining.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ok, awesome..thanks for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
you could also read all 270 posts in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=DSC+DTC

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #15
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
you could also read all 270 posts in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=DSC+DTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The manual says this about DTC:

When you press the DTC button the idrive message says:

DTC is NOT just the traction control element of DSC (as Norsk and others have said) and it is NOT 'on all the time'.

The idrive message is correct - it is activated when you press the DTC button.

If anything to 'allow further slippage of the wheels' you need to reduce the intervention of the 'traction control' element of the DSC system.

To me it seems really simple:

1. DSC is the system fully optimised for safety

2. DTC is the system optimised for low traction conditions. DSC is not off, but it is restricted as it says in the idrive message.

3. Press and hold and it all switches off.
Trust me, I have and at one point, I honestly thought I understood it, but after reading it more, statements like the ones above just made it more confusing

"2. DTC is the system optimised for low traction conditions. DSC is not off, but it is restricted as it says in the idrive message."

based off of this quote, it sounds like in rainning conditions, it would be best to push the DTC to have better traction, but as mentioned by previous members, it's not...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Yeah, it got a bit heated, protracted and useless after a point.

the gist of it all is:
  1. Do nothing and you have everything trying to help.
  2. Press the button to engage DTC and you get less help. This might be useful if you need to get some wheel spin such as getting moving on snow, or if you want to be a small hooligan and want less system intervention.
  3. Press the button for however many seconds to turn it all off and rely on the nut behind the wheel. Full hooligan mode.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Yeah, it got a bit heated, protracted and useless after a point.

the gist of it all is:
  1. Do nothing and you have everything trying to help.
  2. Press the button to engage DTC and you get less help. This might be useful if you need to get some wheel spin such as getting moving on snow, or if you want to be a small hooligan and want less system intervention.
  3. Press the button for however many seconds to turn it all off and rely on the nut behind the wheel. Full hooligan mode.
Quote:
HyperM3 Quote:

Like what the poster said above. Dont press anything and all protection will be activated. If you DO press the DTC button once, youll see it light up on the dash and that means its been turned OFF. If you hold it down longer it will turn BOTH DSC and DTS OFF. Not touching anything is the safest bet when its raining.
Quote:
no, dont press anything=max stability and almost zero wheel spin, push once=more wheel spin but still DSC operational, push and hold=fully disengaged (ABS and some other aspects cant be fully turned off)

yeah, explanations like these, in plain english and not such much of technical terms, makes it much easier to understand the concept of DSC and DTC, unlike those 270+ post of foreign language going back and forth at each other
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"2. DTC is the system optimised for low traction conditions. DSC is not off, but it is restricted as it says in the idrive message."

based off of this quote, it sounds like in rainning conditions, it would be best to push the DTC to have better traction, but as mentioned by previous members, it's not...
Actually what that means in terms of low traction is more like snow and mud. If you left everything completely on in the snow, the traction control would kick in immediately upon the first sign of slippage and you wouldnt budge. You want a small amount of slip before the traction control kicks in so that you can get some momentum out of the car in a certain direction(preferably straight). Thus hitting the DTC button once to deactivate it.

This doesnt mean that rain is a low traction condition, just a less than optimal traction condition. Therefore, the car wont not move if you leave all inhibiting traction devices on.

Hope that makes some sense.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #19
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Actually what that means in terms of low traction is more like snow and mud. If you left everything completely on in the snow, the traction control would kick in immediately upon the first sign of slippage and you wouldnt budge. You want a small amount of slip before the traction control kicks in so that you can get some momentum out of the car in a certain direction(preferably straight). Thus hitting the DTC button once to deactivate it.

This doesnt mean that rain is a low traction condition, just a less than optimal traction condition. Therefore, the car wont not move if you leave all inhibiting traction devices on.

Hope that makes some sense.
Definitely and thanks for taking time in explaining

Here in Texas we don't really have to worry much about snow, so I guess it's not really a big issue about DSC...only rain and it's awkwards periods and cycles
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #20
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

one more quick question, so when I feel my car tug while driving in the rain, is that just the DSC helping the driver out?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #21
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
word, thanx bros... def understood much better but, lol

does having everything on and not touching any buttons hurt 0-160 and quarter mile times???????

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #22
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

yes.

And please for the sake of the santity of this here forum do not continue this dtc on/off thread.

Some of us required therapy after the previous thread concluded (the one the kind previous poster referred you to)
Appreciate 0