E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Replacing tweeters

10-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Dakar Edition

Replacing tweeters

I have removed my aftermarket sounds system (amps, sub, bit1, morels etc) in anticipation of selling the car. Whilst it's on the market I was considering replacing my tweeters from my logic7 set-up with my Morel MT-23's but running them off the oem amps and set-up.

What should I expect? The metal domed oem tweeters are a little harsh and MT-23s so smooth... anyone just swapped the tweeters out..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

There's a lot of crap shoot in there. The Morel passive crossover uses a lot of attenuation to bring the tweeter down to match the Morel mid. The question is, with the 6-ohm impedance of the MT-23, and the amp being optimized for 2 ohms, how loud will the MT-23 be relative to the mid which it is paralleled with? (You would also have to decide how to cross it over...)

I've never tried it, certainly. I might try it with the Rainbow 20mm tweeter, but I wouldn't try it with an MT-23 just due to the cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Zero7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
There's a lot of crap shoot in there. The Morel passive crossover uses a lot of attenuation to bring the tweeter down to match the Morel mid. The question is, with the 6-ohm impedance of the MT-23, and the amp being optimized for 2 ohms, how loud will the MT-23 be relative to the mid which it is paralleled with? (You would also have to decide how to cross it over...)

I've never tried it, certainly. I might try it with the Rainbow 20mm tweeter, but I wouldn't try it with an MT-23 just due to the cost.
I have a set of rainbow tweets too so may give it a go on those to see how they sound first.
Appreciate 0