E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Convertible grease/lube near folding roof lines

10-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
NYGMen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Convertible grease/lube near folding roof lines

Hey guys, I just picked up my '11 335i vert and there are these slight grease marks (think if you dripped syrup on something as you were moving, so think lines, not really smears). itis on the corners of where the roof folds near the rear seats. A LOT of elbow grease worked, but can you guys recommend any cleaner that will eat through it? I was thinking simple dish soap since it will cut the grease?

Since the car is so new, now is the time to be uber anal about cleaning, it wont be long before my 2 kids (6 and 8) mess it all up anyway. thx!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGMen View Post
Hey guys, I just picked up my '11 335i vert and there are these slight grease marks (think if you dripped syrup on something as you were moving, so think lines, not really smears). itis on the corners of where the roof folds near the rear seats. A LOT of elbow grease worked, but can you guys recommend any cleaner that will eat through it? I was thinking simple dish soap since it will cut the grease?

Since the car is so new, now is the time to be uber anal about cleaning, it wont be long before my 2 kids (6 and 8) mess it all up anyway. thx!!!
Is the stuff black? If so, I don't think it's grease. I had the same problem but it would come and go. I found that it was actually the seal glue that is under the seals of the top. In certain areas the seal glue was coming out at the seams of the seals. When it got hot it was runny and if you open the top when it was hot, the seal glue would stretch between the top pieces and get on the top.

If this is your problem, then check the seams of the top on the inside and remove the excess seal glue. I found that washing the car with slightly extra effort and a LOT of soap would get the glue off the car panels. Again if this is your problem you'll have to get rid of the excess glue or it will happen over and over when you open the top after it's been sitting in the sun and hot.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
DrCook
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i MSport

A tiny bit of carb cleaner on a cotton towel will work.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Is the stuff black? If so, I don't think it's grease. I had the same problem but it would come and go. I found that it was actually the seal glue that is under the seals of the top. In certain areas the seal glue was coming out at the seams of the seals. When it got hot it was runny and if you open the top when it was hot, the seal glue would stretch between the top pieces and get on the top.

If this is your problem, then check the seams of the top on the inside and remove the excess seal glue. I found that washing the car with slightly extra effort and a LOT of soap would get the glue off the car panels. Again if this is your problem you'll have to get rid of the excess glue or it will happen over and over when you open the top after it's been sitting in the sun and hot.

Hope this helps.
Same issue here -- thanks. What a pain.
Appreciate 0