E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sub wired up but not entirely satisfied with quality

10-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320D

Sub wired up but not entirely satisfied with quality

Wired in a sub to my 320d the other day (55 plate with idrive)

Its fully working however im not entirely satisfied with the quality, basically it doesnt seem relative, for example when the music is low, the sub will still be loud/overpowering, and when the music is cranked up the sub isnt as loud as it should be?

I spliced in some wires to the speakers under the seat and ran them to a RCA converter in the boot

Is there anything i can do to improve the quality? what does a high/low frequency converter do as i just have a straight adapter and read somewhere its worth using one of those?

any help appreciated
cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Foreman05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: in search of a 335

What type of sub/amp combo r u running? Sounds like your amp doesn't have enough power to push the sub at the high volume level. If it sounds good at low volume and crap at high volume I'm sure that's the issue. Never buy a sub/amp combo based on max output or max watts. The rms on your sub should be fairly close to the rms on your amp. It would also be ok if your amps rms was a little higher than your sub...just don't blow your sub up lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep

the sub and amp are vibe ones ive had them years in loads of different cars however ive always used it with an aftermarket headunit as well this is the first time ive had to splice in an RCA output

it doesnt sound good at low volume its way too over powering Lol like you would hear big rumble and low voice, then when you crank it up you will hear the speakers loud but the sub wont be relatively loud, if this makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Foreman05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: in search of a 335

I've never used a line out converter (LOC) but maybe your rca's are hooked up backwards? I have never hooked an amp up that way either. Sorry I can't think of anything else
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
jwise36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i X drive

check your gain settings on your amp, this can happen as the factory head unit may have a different output from your aftermarket one
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep

What do you mean by gain settings? as not too clued up about amps

do you recon the way its wired in is optimal or is there a better method?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
What system do you have?

My l7 system has 70w sub outputs so I needed a loc that could handle that. I went with one that could handle 60w and it's been fine.

Sounds like your loc just can't handle to input from the hu at higher volumes.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanHomes View Post
the sub and amp are vibe ones ive had them years in loads of different cars however ive always used it with an aftermarket headunit as well this is the first time ive had to splice in an RCA output

it doesnt sound good at low volume its way too over powering Lol like you would hear big rumble and low voice, then when you crank it up you will hear the speakers loud but the sub wont be relatively loud, if this makes sense?
The reduced quality is likely because of the input source. Splicing into the wire and converting RCA is the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanHomes View Post
What do you mean by gain settings? as not too clued up about amps

do you recon the way its wired in is optimal or is there a better method?

cheers
Each amp has a few knobs or adjustments for Level and Gain. Find those knobs and adjust them. I recommend 1/4 to 1/2 on most amps for gain or level.

If you go to high it will either sound like garbage, be too overpowering, and or overheat the amp.

The ideal method is having a head unit with RCA. I'll let others chime in though maybe there is something else you can do.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
What system do you have?

My l7 system has 70w sub outputs so I needed a loc that could handle that. I went with one that could handle 60w and it's been fine.

Sounds like your loc just can't handle to input from the hu at higher volumes.
Its the standard business navigation/idrive radio

Its not so much the top end that annoys me its when i have the music low but the sub is still rumbling over it Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
The reduced quality is likely because of the input source. Splicing into the wire and converting RCA is the cause.

Each amp has a few knobs or adjustments for Level and Gain. Find those knobs and adjust them. I recommend 1/4 to 1/2 on most amps for gain or level.

If you go to high it will either sound like garbage, be too overpowering, and or overheat the amp.

The ideal method is having a head unit with RCA. I'll let others chime in though maybe there is something else you can do.

normally id always just stick in an aftermarket HU and be done with it but not an option in this instance with the idrive unit

I played with the adjusters when i fitted it but didnt really take too much notice ill have another look and see if i can see the gain knob, cheers for the advice
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
wray24
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Can I jus ask what the vibe sounds like in the can planning on get 1 fitted i no your havin a problem but jus thought I would ask
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep

its a 12" slick that i have. excellent sub and you can pick them up cheap brand new. Ive had it for years and wouldnt change it, sounds better then any others ive had
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
wray24
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

I used to have 2 12" vibes I loved em so planning on get another so thanks for the info might have to a slick now
Appreciate 0