E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ECCENTRIC SHAFT SENSOR- Info/Help

09-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

ECCENTRIC SHAFT SENSOR- Info/Help

I want to know as much about this sensor as possible. Tell me what you know.

-It is at the end of the Valvetronic ecentric shaft
-it is located under the valve cover
-it tells the ECU what position the shaft is in, barely rotated for idle, fully rotated for full power.
-Valve lift is between 0 and ?9.7 or 10mm?

I want to know- the connector and wires come up thru the valve cover, How many wires are there to the sensor?

Last edited by CobraMarty; 09-30-2011 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

So opposite this sensor is a magnetic piece which is attached to the end of the eccentric Valvetronic shaft and it is this rotation of the magnetic piece that the sensor 'reads' the amount of rotation.

If the valvetronic mechanism controls the 'throttling' of the engine just as a throttle body and butterfly would, then the eccentric shaft sensor is the equivalent to the throttle position sensor.

This sensor tells the computer how much the eccentric shaft has rotated, it gives feedback to the computer as to how much 'valve lift/throttling' the engine gets.

Just thinking out loud.
Appreciate 0