ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Skip Barber for an HPDE Vet

I figure some of you tracktards may find my latest article interesting...

The 6 Steps of a Successful Skippy School

Thanks for any redirects and forwards!
      09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Great review! Skip Barber was one of the best moves I've ever made in my time doing performance driving. To me I condensed 10 days of DE driving in the advanced group into 3 days at Sebring.

I went with the Formula car when I went, while my end goal is to drive closed cockpit cars, there is a certain balance that the car requires that is tough to duplicate in any other vehicle.
      09-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

All I have to say about this "sport" is, you get what you paid for. The Skip Barbers and Russell schools of the world may be expensive, but they're expensive for a reason and you absolutely get far more out of these than your typical lapping days, if you're willing to go in with an open mind rather than have them open your mind for you.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

How much does the 2 day and 3 day run?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

onelove: Thanks dude! Total amateur blogger here so my posts are usually more "literary" in form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
All I have to say about this "sport" is, you get what you paid for. The Skip Barbers and Russell schools of the world may be expensive, but they're expensive for a reason and you absolutely get far more out of these than your typical lapping days, if you're willing to go in with an open mind rather than have them open your mind for you.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
How much does the 2 day and 3 day run?
I think the 3-Day is around $3500 and the 2-Day is somewhere around $3000. Check their website as they have the prices all laid out. But they run promotions from time to time and you can sometimes get up to 20% off.
      10-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Wonder what the true per-day cost for an HPDE would be when you factor in the event fee, getting your car ready for the event, miles depreciation on your car, gas, and consumables (tires, brakes, etc.) I hate to admit it but it won't be too far off the Skip Barber price, except theirs is the net cost to you...