E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 Steering is loose and vague

04-30-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
naval
Rep
Drives: SGM E93

E93 Steering is loose and vague

I have Active Steering and the Sport Package on my new E93. The steering is very loose and light compared to my old 2000 Audi S4. There's a lot of "play" in the center, and turning the wheel is almost too easy. It takes a bit of a turn before the steering really engages, and it doesn't feel sporty at all. Anyone else detect this?

I don't know if it's an Active Steering issue, a Run-Flat issue, the added weight of the convertible, if my expectations are too high relative to the old S4, or if something is genuinely wrong with the steering. Is there a way of "tightening up" the steering? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I haven't driven an AS car since late 2k5, but it felt ok to me. Steering is definitely not a weakness on a E9x, it's a forte. I drove the 650Ci and 750Li yesterday, and the E92 steering seemed tighter to me than the former.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Ryan 330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i

thats the problem. Active is too light, and Regular is too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Active Steering is likely part of the problem, but they've also lightened up the steering in Bimmers since the E36.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

yeah when your at lower speeds it's scary thats why I don't like the active crap..but at higher speeds it's gone.....BMW made this for old ladies
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Definitely active steering and the added weight of E93 and also the 53/48 distribution could affect the steering feel also!
      04-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by naval
if my expectations are too high relative to the old S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
Active Steering is likely part of the problem, but they've also lightened up the steering in Bimmers since the E36.
There's your answer.

The steering really hasn't been the same on the 3er cars since BMW changed it in 2001.

If you want to tighten it and improve feel, there are a few things you can do, but they won't dramatically alter the feel of the steering short of replacing the entire rack:
-Replace rubber control arm bushings with polyurethane
-Install an underdrive pulley on the PS pump
      04-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90330iS View Post
the 53/48 distribution
Add much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
naval
Rep
Drives: SGM E93

akhbhaat, thanks for the suggestions.

Anyone know any good shops in the SF Bay Area or northern california that mighy be able to replace the control arm bushings or install a pulley on the PS pump?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

I LOVE MY AS!!!!!!!!!!!! when you drive fast and are constantly turning or weaving around objects it couldn't be more fun when you are on the road cruising it couldn't be more easy...and when something pops up in front of you like an old dead raccoon that must have been14 inches off the ground just over a hill it could be the only item help you avoid it as i know for a fact if i was in my e34 dinan 540 it would have been in possible!!!!!!!! AS is awesome when you need it and when you are pushing the car it is UNBELIEVABLE to say the least but i do understand and i think if you are taking a casual drive it can feel a lil loose but only about 1/4inch on the initial move as loose as any car i have driven including the 2 s55's downstairs....i just hate the run flats..they make it too stiff and not enough grip hence i feel disconnected way way way more from them than the AS the AS ROCKS in my opinion...i don't think i will buy another car without it and the M division thinks so as well as word is they are offering it on the new M3!!!! it definitely the best sporty option period on the car possibly best option period... i think people screw up the feel with the run flat feel...i feel way more disconnected cause i don't have my ps2's on yet cause carlos hasn't finished the wheels yet....but by the end of this upcoming month most exterior and interior mods will be complete so all is going well!!!! this has been the best week of driving ever!!!!!!! oil change on thursday along with

stainless pedals
perforated m wheel(not tri-color)
engine strut brace
hopefully my aero front and m sport side skirts will be in also!!!!!!!!!

so pics to come following week!!!!! I'm still babying her but taking corners hard is still oodles of fun for now in 2 days i will be at the thousand so we will see....0 complanits so far and everyone loves the Sparkling Graphite ..it is everyones first compliment and they are all uber impressed with it...sry i am seriously Loving my new baby...but nonetheless i still am being serious when i say AS is seriously the best option on the car and it makes it a new sporty impeccably fun car drive even more....i am soo happy i got it and i was very skeptical at first cause i HATE the lexus feel i detest it and this lexus couldn't dream of making....it is uber sensitive to the MAX that's why i love it!!!!!!
________
Ferrari 375 f1 specifications

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
DocRoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

No more espresso for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
I LOVE MY AS!!!!!!!!!!!! when you drive fast and are constantly turning or weaving around objects it couldn't be more fun when you are on the road cruising it couldn't be more easy...and when something pops up in front of you like an old dead raccoon that must have been14 inches off the ground just over a hill it could be the only item help you avoid it as i know for a fact if i was in my e34 dinan 540 it would have been in possible!!!!!!!! AS is awesome when you need it and when you are pushing the car it is UNBELIEVABLE to say the least but i do understand and i think if you are taking a casual drive it can feel a lil loose but only about 1/4inch on the initial move as loose as any car i have driven including the 2 s55's downstairs....i just hate the run flats..they make it too stiff and not enough grip hence i feel disconnected way way way more from them than the AS the AS ROCKS in my opinion...i don't think i will buy another car without it and the M division thinks so as well as word is they are offering it on the new M3!!!! it definitely the best sporty option period on the car possibly best option period... i think people screw up the feel with the run flat feel...i feel way more disconnected cause i don't have my ps2's on yet cause carlos hasn't finished the wheels yet....but by the end of this upcoming month most exterior and interior mods will be complete so all is going well!!!! this has been the best week of driving ever!!!!!!! oil change on thursday along with

stainless pedals
engine strut brace

so pics to come following week!!!!! I'm still babying her but taking corners hard is still oodles of fun for now in 2 days i will be at the thousand so we will see....0 complanits so far and everyone loves the Sparkling Graphite ..it is everyones first compliment and they are all uber impressed with it...sry i am seriously Loving my new baby...but nonetheless i still am being serious when i say AS is seriously the best option on the car and it makes it a new sporty impeccably fun car drive even more....i am soo happy i got it and i was very skeptical at first cause i HATE the lexus feel i detest it and this lexus couldn't dream of making....it is uber sensitive to the MAX that's why i love it!!!!!!
No more espresso for you
      05-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRoss View Post
No more espresso for you

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

I dont have AS but complained about the vagueness that I feel of "On Center" feel at highway speeds. I got made fun of for that.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I dont have AS but complained about the vagueness that I feel of "On Center" feel at highway speeds. I got made fun of for that.
YA alex your a moron I Hate you. I am going to make fun of you now.
I should have your part here by thursday. Email me about the spoiler I got a decent deal for you.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post

stainless pedals
engine strut brace

Holy run on sentence batman.

We need a "this post is worthless without periods" smiley.
      11-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
ucla1995
Slow and low
Rep
Drives: M5

I don't have AS and have the same problem as the OP.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

My sport package (no AS) e93 feels great. I have the Michelin Pilot's, do you have the Bridgestone Potenza's?

I notice the weight difference versus my e90 Sport though. Driving the e93 feels like driving the e90 with 2-3 passengers.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
My sport package (no AS) e93 feels great. I have the Michelin Pilot's, do you have the Bridgestone Potenza's?

I notice the weight difference versus my e90 Sport though. Driving the e93 feels like driving the e90 with 2-3 passengers.
Any 3 series will handle better and feel more in touch with the road without the OEM Bridgestone RFTs. I heard that BMW is sourcing RFTs from other manufacturers but I don't know if they are any better (or worse) than the Bridgestones.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #19
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Any 3 series will handle better and feel more in touch with the road without the OEM Bridgestone RFTs. I heard that BMW is sourcing RFTs from other manufacturers but I don't know if they are any better (or worse) than the Bridgestones.

CA
In all fairness though, Nissan is factory installing Bridgestone Potenza RE070R RFT tires on their GT-Rs and I haven't read about any complaints with those, supposedly it's a new 2nd generation RFT design and compound so maybe they'll improve the rest of the line at some point.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #20
bspears
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3E93

AS is great in my 2009 E93. On grooved pavement the Bridgestone RFTs will hunt a little but respond immediately to steering wheel input. I couldn't be happier.
      11-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #21
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I COMPLAINED ABOUT THE SAME THING!!! And I came from a 2006 Range Rover HSE. Since I've replaced the wheels and tires its better. But still not great. I drove my friends E92 335i Sport with AS and its definitely better at high speeds but waaay weird at low speeds. I'd keep my $1400 and go without it.
Appreciate 0