E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 E92 328i: PCD Experience & First Impressions

04-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

2007 E92 328i: PCD Experience & First Impressions

I guess the best place to start is at the beginning, so...first there was darkness...sorry, wrong story.

Let me preface this report by stating that if anyone is thinking about doing PCD, stop thinking about it and do it. If you're an enthusiast, there are few experiences (other than ED) that can compare to the sheer exhilaration you will feel when taking delivery of your new car. Maybe since this is my first BMW, I am a little prejudiced, but there were repeat BMW customers at the Performance Center that felt the same way.

THE JOURNEY BEGINS!
My wife and I, left NYC bound for Charlotte, NC on Thursday, 4/26/07 slightly delayed, because we were #20 for departure. In NYC, we have traffic to the airport and even on the runways! You may ask, why didn't we fly directly into GSP? The answer: one-way ticket to GSP ~ $400, to CLT ~ $80. Here's a pic of the Embraer ERJ-135:

CLT is a very nice airport and we rented a Jeep Liberty for our 1 1/2 hour ride to GSP. I haven't driven down south in a while and was surprised that they drive just as lousy as the folks up north. If you leave a little distance between the car you're following, there will be someone who wants to fill that space.

After dropping off the rental, we called the Greenville Marriott to announce our arrival. They usually send a 5 Series Touring (wagon) but it had just left the airport. It would be a 20-25 minute wait, or we could take the shuttle bus that was en route and would be there in 3 minutes, or we could wait. We took the shuttle bus.

The driver told us we were lucky to fly in because there was severe weather reported and many flights were canceled. In fact, he was taking someone back to his hotel which was on one of the canceled flights. We check in, were given the whole VIP treatment, dinner reservations were made for the included meal for delivery customers (breakfast at the Marriott too).

The entire staff at the Greenville Marriott were friendly and were always asking if they could assist you. Dinner was excellent, as was breakfast the following morning. We meet in the lobby @ 7:45AM for the shuttle ride to the Performance Center.

PERFORMANCE CENTER DELIVERY:
Jonathan and Donnie welcome us to the Performance Center and take attendance of those present. If I remember correctly, because my head was in cloud 9 since I was actually at the PC, there were 3 X5's, 2 Z4's, 1 650i, and my 3 Coupe. For some reason, Jonathan singles me out and announces they have a special delivery for me and asks if all would like to see it at that time. Everyone agrees and they show us to one of the delivery bays where I am presented with my new BMW:

After everyone has a good laugh, I mention that there is a problem...."those aren't the wheels I ordered!" They even had laid out the carpet and rubber mats next to it that my dealer included.

On to track time! Those taking delivery of their X5's, went to the off road course and the rest proceeded to a mini road course with some twisties and a slalom run. You get to drive/abuse a NYC vehicle as Donnie says...Not Your Car! I had the use of a E92 335i. Nice but I'll take my 328i w/6MT over the step, thank you. After some fun laps, your passenger gets the opportunity to drive.

Next stop, and I mean stop, was the panic braking exercises. Donnie demonstrates @ 20mph, stopping distance is 1 length of preset cones. At twice the speed (40mph), stopping distance increased 4 fold! We start at 40mph and gradually increase runs to 50mph with hard braking. It's not just straight line braking, you need to steer to avoid hitting cones.

After heating up the brakes, time to cool them off on the watered down skid pad! With DSC/DTC off, ease off the accelerator and then floor it, the rear end comes around and it's like you're on the Mad Hatter(if I remember correctly) Teacup ride at DisneyWorld! With control systems on, no matter how long your foot is down on the accelerator, computer takes over and reduces throttle to prevent you from sliding out. One thing Donnie made very clear....no matter how good the control systems are, you can overcome the laws of physics. If you're driving beyond what the road conditions allow, you will get yourself in trouble. Too bad the ones that lost their lives on Long Island last week hadn't learned this lesson. Here's a pic of me on the skid pad:

The time on the track is a great way to introduce you to the capabilities and handling characteristics of your new ride. The opportunity to experience this in a controlled environment is priceless before you have to utilize them in the real world. This is the true value of a PCD!

After our time on the track, half the group went on the museum and factory tour and the rest took delivery of their new babies! Donnie regretted to inform me that I would be spending the next 2 hours with him, taking delivery of my E92. Words can not express the feelings you get when you see for the first time what you have been planning for, tracking from production to delivery, agonizing over for the past few months. She was everything that I was hoping for, including the Contis!

Since I chose not to get most of the technology options, and had pretty much familiarized myself with the OM beforehand, Donnie and I completed delivery in relatively short order. It was too early for lunch. With the extra time we had, Donnie asked if we would like to take an X5 on the off-road course. Sure, we replied! Before proceeding to the course, Donnie gave us a tour of the facility which included the detail prep center and body shop. He explained the BMW STEP Program http://www.bmwstep.com/defaultFlash.asp
which is a training opportunity available to the top performing graduates of the country's best post secondary Automotive Technical Schools. The purpose of the program is to develop the highest quality service technicians for employment at BMW Centers in North America. Very impressive.

We then climb into an X5 and off to the off-road course. The X5 is built rock solid. The stiffness of the frame allowed us to balance on 2 opposing tires, with the other 2 off the ground! The low center of gravity achieved through positioning the engine very low in the engine compartment, allows the X5 to heel at amazing angles where you feel like you could tip over, but won't. We experienced the Hill Descent Control (HDC) which is a feature on other X-drive vehicles....simply amazing.

Time for lunch...mmm, mmm good! After lunch, with some time left before the next rotation of deliveries, factory tours, Donnie asked if anyone would like a hot lap in the M5....I think I was out of my seat before he finished his suggestion!
It's a beautiful thing when a 500HP V-10 is in the hands of a professional. At the start of the day before we even set a tire on the track, Donnie taught us the correct hand position on the wheel is 9-3. At speed, drifting through the turns, Donnie never once took his hands off the wheel. Now I know the value of paddle shifters (which were equipped on the M5) when tracking a car. He then basically drifted the entire circle of the skid pad and right before exiting, did a 360, straightened out and drove off the course! What a way to end the performance part of PCD!

Here's a pic of Jonathan & Donnie before we were to leave the Performance Center for our factory tour:

We said our good-byes and thanked Jonathan, Donnie & Danielle (she schedules all the PCD's (the hardest job @ BMW)) for making this the "Ultimate Delivery Experience"! I would also like to extend a thank you to the entire staff at the PC for their contribution in making this a truly wonderful experience.

On to the Zentrum Museum & Factory Tour:

Even if you don't do a PCD, this is well worth the trip down to Greer, SC. They don't allow cameras or camera phones into the factory for obvious reasons, but I can tell you, it is an engineering masterpiece. In order to make the plant more efficient, they shut it down for 56 days, ripped out the 2 production lines (X5 & Z4),including everything else except the posts that hold up the roof and built a single production line that accommodates everything that needs to be produced. They are stopping factory tours this June 1 for an indefinite period of time due to new projects. Here are some pics from the Zentrum Museum and my E92 outside:

THE RIDE HOME TO LONG ISLAND, NY:
We leave The Zentrum around 3PM for the ride back to NY. Stopped overnite in VA at the southern end of Skyline Drive. In the morning we resume our travel via Skyline Drive entering at the Thornton Gate (just east of Luray). The ride up to the entrance was fun with lots of twisties. The speed limit on Skyline Dr. is 35MPH (exceeded it slightly...). Here's some pics of the E92 and the Shenandoah Valley:

You never know what sort of people you meet on these forums, but I was curious to find out for my self and was willing to take a chance that the one I decided to befriend was not a serial killer, as my son was sure to advise me, since I've been teaching him about internet safety since he was little. The plan was to meet LEDZEP and his wife for lunch at an undisclosed location in DE. Even though we only talked on the phone once and mostly communicated through the forum or e-mail, we both felt that we met up with old friends that hadn't seen each other for a long time. Looking forward to seeing them again and hopefully the rest of the NE Week 9&10ers will sign on for a GTG sometime in the near future. Since LZ is the photo-pro, you can find some of the pics he took here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=141

After lunch, we headed back home to roost the new offspring.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
I've always liked BMW's, but now I'm in For those that own one, you know the feeling. For those that want one, here are my thoughts. This is a vehicle that truly exceeds every expectation I had while browsing the forums, gathering as much information as I could before I committed to purchasing. This is the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that gives you "Sheer Driving Pleasure".

First off, will all the bad reports of the CDV, I didn't stall once and 1-2 shifts were a breeze. No jerking head movements from the passenger either. Even though I just got the modified CDV in the mail, I'm in no rush to install it as I was before I took delivery. Whether some people who complain about it don't know the finer points of driving a MT or whatever, perhaps after break in when I start driving the car the way she was designed to be driven, I'll notice whatever the big bruhaha is about the CDV. For now, I'm just happy as a pig in sh$t!!!

Instead of the stupid warning that's affixed to the inside of the windshield claiming that any aftermarket accessories might interfere with the operation of the vehicle, BMW should issue a disclaimer that they are not responsible for any tickets you may get while operating the vehicle above the posted speed limit. This puppy loves to run.

I'm following the break-in guidelines, varying rpms, under 100mph, no panic stops or hard acceleration (well since I'm over 800 miles on the odo, I've been squeezing her up to 4500 gradually). 80mph in this car feels like 60 in anything else. She holds the road like she's on rails. With the Contis, road noise is barely perceptible and the interior is so well insulated that you don't even hear the trucks as you drive by. No reason to turn the volume up on the radio and still can have a conversation without yelling.

Fit and finish, first quality. Expected nothing less. Inside and out. Here's the interior:

Coolest feature so far, the adaptive Xenons! This may sound like one of the useless gimicks that they try to promote but they are very effective when taking those on/off ramps at nite and watching them turn as you do.

Mods (some won't really consider them, but who cares ) so far: debadged, chrome exhaust tips, euro light switch to enable rear fogs, brushed stainless steel (304) license plate frame, monster Ipod charger with 3.5mm-3.5mm patch cable to Aux outlet (I only use shuffle, so works like a charm), lucky rabbit's foot & silver bow (don't knock it until you try it ). Holding off on the modified CDV until I feel the need for it.

Overall impression, this is the finest automobile I have ever owned and if treated with respect, I expect to be rewarded everytime I get behind the wheel.

One more thing, after debadging I was wondering if I should rebadge with this:

That would create some

Thanks to all on the forum who have held my hand, made this entire process bearable, offered some good advice and extended their friendship. Is it too early to start thinking about my second BMW?

Peace out :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
javabmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue BMW, nav, premium

Congradulations!
Picked up 4/11/07
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Welcome back!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Senres
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i convertible

Awesome story. Congratulations on the car, trip, and getting to ride in the M5 (I am *very* jealous). I am no doubt going to do ED or PCD for my next car (assuming it'll be a BMW, I guess, but I have a feeling it will be )
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Congrats! Love your ride. Can't wait to get mine and post pics too!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

steve congrats.. amazing write up..
See you around the Island!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
I-Won-Today
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with wheels

Great write-up! It was a pleasure meeting you. Glad to hear that you had such a great time and a enjoyable drive home. As I have said before, these vehicles become an addiction.

BTW... I don't know if you noticed them, but National Geographic was actually filming some of the vehicles when you guys were driving on the course. Depending on how the edit the program, you may be able to say hey that was me driving that 335 on the track. The filming was for a "Ultimate Factories" series that will air sometime in the fall.

Enjoy your new BWM!

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Grats on the new ride and sweet write up, thanks for the read.

have fun with your new 3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Great writeup Steve! You certainly have me wanting to take delivery of my next BMW at the Performance Center!!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Won-Today View Post

BTW... I don't know if you noticed them, but National Geographic was actually filming some of the vehicles when you guys were driving on the course. Depending on how the edit the program, you may be able to say hey that was me driving that 335 on the track. The filming was for a "Ultimate Factories" series that will air sometime in the fall.

Enjoy your new BWM!
You'll have to keep us posted on the airing of that show! That'll be a keeper!

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Awesome write up! Great looking car. Congrats!!
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
BTW, just because the meds were kicking in on Saturday doesn't mean I'm not really a serial killer.

Last edited by LEDZEP; 04-30-2007 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics and story.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Won-Today View Post
I did notice the film crew! They were filming a bit of our driver briefing with Donnie and I saw one of their cameras mounted on the hood of a Z4 Roadster. If they would like to use my image in their production, have them contact my agent and I'm sure we can negotiate a reasonable fee. That M6 at the PC should cover it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Great writeup Steve! You certainly have me wanting to take delivery of my next BMW at the Performance Center!!
Now you know why it took time to post.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
BTW, just because the meds were kicking in on Saturday doesn't mean I'm not really a serial killer.
I figured there was a reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
msinfo_us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi ZSP, ZCW, PDC

Congats! Awesome looking car and a very detailed with just right amount of report. Thank you. Enjoy your ride.

PS I know you never had the "pleasure" to ride on Brick-stones -- you can take my word for it -- you are very lucky that you've Contis. Congrats again!
      04-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
Blue328xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post

After our time on the track, half the group went on the museum and factory tour and the rest took delivery of their new babies! Donnie regretted to inform me that I would be spending the next 2 hours with him, taking delivery of my E92. Words can not express the feelings you get when you see for the first time what you have been planning for, tracking from production to delivery, agonizing over for the past few months. She was everything that I was hoping for, including the Contis!
Congrats on the car, it looks sweet. And you summed it up pretty good, when you walk into the bay and see the car you have been dreaming about in all her glory...its a great feeling.

And good point about flying PCD. Going from NY to CLT is the best way to go. The airlines charge crazy rates when you got one way from NY to GSP. Flying to CLT and driving to GSP is the way to go IMHO.
      04-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #17
hannibal1209b
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i (On Order)

Thumbs up

Excellent write-up Steve! I want June 14th to be here now! Well actually I want it to be yesterday so that I would already be driving it! Now I really can't wait until my PCD. Of course I won't be able to see the factory, which kind of sucks. But at least I'll have my ride! I do wish you had gotten 6FL so I would know if I am going to have any problems with my delivery.....yes, I am selfish! Congrats on your new baby! :rocks:
On Order E92 335i Black Sapphire - Black Dakota Leather - Dark Burl Walnut (supposed to be Brushed Aluminum) - 6MT - ZSP - ZPP - ZCW - 6FL - Ordered 2/16/07 - Production Number Rec'd 3/14/07 -Entered Production 4/20/07 - Production Complete 4/27/07 - In Transit (Freedom) 5/08/07 - Delivered to PC 5/31/07 -Confirmed PCD 6/14/07
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #18
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Awesome write up and story--this sounds like something I would love to do in about 34 months...lol... Beautiful ride!
      04-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wonderful write-up! Congratulations!
      04-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #20
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Great report! I'm flying out tomorrow for a Wed delivery and looking forward to the car and meeting Donnie and Jonathan.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #21
Enkur
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
wow great report. I cant wait for mine in 2 weeks. I am flying from Texas to Atlanta then driving on to PC. My borther-in-law is coming with me and he is going to help with the long ass drive back to Austin.
      04-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #22
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Congrats Bro,

Just realized, that if I were to replace the 335i on the E92 with my delivery date ...It would be 3/28.... Heh, go figure...

I'm still thinking about 666 just for giggles...