E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Custom installed radar users, please chime in

09-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Custom installed radar users, please chime in

No window mounts...

The next, and last mod to the 328 is finally getting the radar in.
I installed a Qi45 myself on my Ranger recently that i use for recreation and have been really pleased with its performance (very basic). For the 328 i want something with GPS. which points to the 8500ci +, its a Qi45 w GPS that lists for $800 and puts you within striking distance of a 9500ci which is way better.

Im struggling with a few aspects.
Either do the 8500ci + myself and shoulder the challenges of the install (bumper removal seems scariest to me), and keeping the rest of the install very very basic. The LED prob going in the rain sensor trim housing at the rear view mirror. not ideal and im not 100% sure if its line of site during the day time... the costs stay fixed but less value for the money...

or...

have my car electronics crack dealer, do the install for me of a 9500ci. Which will likely be more money, a better install, and a better unit. However, if i give it to him, the extent of my requests will be greater than if i install an 8500 myself.
Im leaning towards removing the blank button strip below the HVAC controls, where hill descent control is, moving that whole switch assembly to behind the dash stashing it there (i'll never use HDC, ever). Have him fabricate a plastic part to mount the display where the switches once were.
like this...

the controller can go by my seat if it wont fit there along with the display. (thats not an issue)

The next huge hang up is the heads up LED goes. i wont hear the radar with the radio going. so the LED is going to be my only means of warning, which means its got to be in the perfect place. Ive seen VP_Electricity install LEDs behind the turn signal arrow which is ideal, but i have major paranoia having ANYONE remove and totally disassemble our $1300 instrument clusters down to the circuit board. I would be okay with getting an LED in there without if it just meant setting it in from behind without removing the circuit board or needles.

The LED this M3 has would be blocked by my paddles, but i would take an LED in any other spot, if its possible to do without complete disassembly. something tells me its not...

While i dont mind paying a bit extra for additional work, esp the awesome work my installer does, i do want to keep the cost of the job reasonable while not taking extreme risks or putting my tech in the position of doing anything too risky during the install (my choice not his )

any input you guys have from antenna mounting, to self installs of custom units or what direction you went with your professional install would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by B-737; 09-25-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0