E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Odd issue with my Optimum QD and Shine...did my product break up?

09-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Odd issue with my Optimum QD and Shine...did my product break up?

I left my bottle of Optimum QD and Instant detailer in my garage, just like I always have, its the concentrate version, mixed correctly. Has been fine until tonight. And Im not even sure what caused it.

I washed the car like normal, then I sprayed the product on with what water was left and blotted dry like normal. Buffed spots out like normal. Later, as Im showing the car to a friend who came in town from Florida, who just got a 335i and wanted to hear my exhaust, I notice this "grit" look to my paint, and feel it and sure as heck its like a sappy, gritty sticky like substance. I was under some trees, okay, its maybe a sap, Ill check when I get home.

I get home, spray some ONR at QD ratio, buff out a spot on the hood...smooth as glass. Okay, its not sap, what is it? I sprayed the quick detalier onto the car again, buffed it out......YUP, same little weird sticky things. So I know at least I can wash my car tomorrow with ONR and get it out but damn, what happened to the quick detail??

Seperating is all I can think of but the contents of the product look normal, its white and normal looking. Just really odd. I could even HEAR it kinda, like the ONR was lifting it into my towel. I mean, it glossed the car up, but I guess I didnt really check it before I left, didnt think I had to.

Temps in the garage got into the 90's at times but 90's shouldnt be TOO hot, would it? None of my other products seem to be affected by the heat, and we havent had a freeze yet and even if we did my garage wouldnt get below 45, 40 for sure. Coolest I have seen my garage so far is about 58-60.

Worst case scenario, I have a fresh bottle CG citrus wash coming and some new CG blacklight to try and I was going to do this next month anyways but for now I just need to get back to the car in the AM and get that crap off.
      09-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

After a wash with ONR everything is removed and the paint is smooth again. Its just odd. I know products arent supposed to be frozen or heated over 100+ but damn, kinda dissapointed it decided to seperate in the 90's, and low 90's probably at worst.